What other hobbies do you guys and gals have?

I am an avid fly tyer and fly fisher. I also have been known to ride bicycles, started that with

my older brother who was a fanatic with his Litespeed, I started out more frugal with a Giant

Kronos, got to 14mph avg speed, never could keep up with his 20 mph avg speed and double centuries!

I also have done 35 MM SLR photography, amateur astronomy, plugging holes in paper with a Ruger

45 SAA, and use to like a good Carribean cruise! Ahhhhhh what it was like before this freakin

fixed income crap, oh well off to my retirement duties!---John

Gordon, Don't take this wrong, but ...I LOVE YOU, MAN! If you by chance come on down to Columbia to the IPMS show next month, look me up. If I can get the time off from work, I'll take you out to a close friends farm and let you have some fun with my Colt 1911 collection or any of my firearms as far as that matters. Between mine and my boys collections we have about 35-40 stashed in the safes. And the friend that owns the farm has a good 60+ himself. No full auto fun in the collections, but I do have a short barrel AR and a silencer for my .22LR's. Few Cowboy guns, M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, M1A, several flavors of AR's, including a .50 Beowulf set up.

Well, to continue on with the topic of the thread, in addition to my obvious model and firearm obsessions, I am also heavily involved into working on cars. I restored a '66 Mustang GT Fastback several years back, and I still have a few tweaks I need to do. But both my son's have '95 Mustang GT's. They constantly keep me busy keeping them running in top shape and making mods. Currently my garage floor is completely covered with the drive train and suspension out of my oldest son's last '95 GT that was totaled. We're starting to progress to swapping over all his performance parts into his replacement. He also has a Kenne Bell blower still in the box for when we swap the motor over.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my daily driver is a '15 GT with a few minor mods.

Aside from those, I just recently got back into collecting 1/18 die-cast cars. Not happy with off the shelf selections, I'm now finding myself building cars that are not made by modding the crap out of off the shelf items. Hopefully this winter break I can start building my wall mounted display cases for them. I thought this was going to be an "instant gratification" hobby since I could purchase and display, but I guess not!

Photography. That bug bit me back in high school. Been off and on with it since 1978. Currently off at the moment, but my last bug got me into some really expensive Canon gear. I think I dropped about $5000 into bodies and L glass. Have not picked them up in over a year, but cannot bring myself to selling them off. I still want to go to Yellowstone and take some photos one day. I do have some awesome canvas photos up in the home from our trip out to Yosemite a few years ago.

20 years ago I was really heavy into flying R/C. Of course the typical 65" wing span plane was not good enough for me, so I got into the IMAA Giant Scale arena. My kids were very small at the time and the wife worked weekends. So I found myself never able to go flying like I would have liked to and my skills never reached my building levels. So I sold off everything and that is when I jumped into the Mustang restoration, plastic models and guns.

I kind of miss it, but not enough to go back. Especially since my eyesight has gone to crap in the past several years.

Edited by Scott Smith

Scott, thanks for the invite, I'm a too far away from SC but appreciate the invite. If I'm one day ever planning a US road trip of some places back east, well hey maybe I'd touch base with ya.

As I said, my once blinded eyes about firearms has been opened up from me growing a lifetime of to now moving beyond the reading, listening and watching of all too many anti-gun proponents in my life, especially up here in a bit of self-righteous Canada over firearms and often towards such with our US neighbours and their right to bear arms.

I say to those who have no interest in guns and often a misplaced fear over them, well so be it, don't buy and/or shoot them. But certainly stop pushing such fears on lawful gun owners be it here in Canada or more so the USA, or any other lawful gun ownership nations. I have no interest in buying a 35+ RV or a 200hp sport bike, or building in an in ground swimming pool etc. etc. etc. But if any other persons lawfully have interests in these and many other life's pleasures, desires and wants, well have at it then, just keep lawful and respect your neighbours.

Finally and I mean this 100% if every nation that says it is or demonstrates that it is a free state, could just basically maybe even word for word adopt the US Constitution and Bill Of Rights well more people would be better off. :occasion2:

But to my fellow Canucks, don't get me wrong I love my Canada too, we have carved out a pretty good place in the world as well, warts and all. :punk:

Edited by Gordon Shumway

I didn't intend for it to become a hobby but podcasting now takes up a lot of my spare time and brings me a lot more joy than I ever thought it could.

My nextdoor neighbor is an avid "podcaster"...and since he does an aviation themed podcast (The Hangardeck) he has pulled me into the fold. We've done several "episodes" and back in May took the show on the road to our first airshow, the Military Aviation Museum's "Warbirds Over the Beach" show. Good times!

http://www.thehangardeck.com/intro-1/

2016-04-14%2016.57.32_zpsju4fwir1.jpg

Driving, working on and showing my 2004 Corvette Coupe. 36,000 miles on it.

photo2.jpg

Long gun shooting. Barrett 50 cal.

Picture104.jpg

Custom Rem700. 11:1 twist, 26" Bell&Carlson stock, X-trigger, Burris Full field II 6.5x50 scope. Sled magazine. 600 yard shooter all day! Every shot documented.

Guntherwent.jpg

Collecting autographed books from Apollo Era of NASA

These are a few of my favorite things.....

My nextdoor neighbor is an avid "podcaster"...and since he does an aviation themed podcast (The Hangardeck) he has pulled me into the fold. We've done several "episodes" and back in May took the show on the road to our first airshow, the Military Aviation Museum's "Warbirds Over the Beach" show. Good times!

http://www.thehangardeck.com/intro-1/

I like it.

I listened to episode 2 for the modeling content and got great discussions about F-4s, B-29s and the Boeing 247 to boot.

Subscribed and well pleased.

Thanks

My serieshas discussions of proper aviation in the offing but only balloon flights in the episodes to date.

I'm recounting the history of exploration in Antarctica and am just up to the start of the twentieth century, most recently covering the Scottish National Antarctic Expedition. There's a bunch more voyages to cover before an airframe arrives on the continent, a Vickers REP Douglas Mawson intended using for reconaissance, and it's even longer before the first heavier than air flights over the ice.

My serieshas discussions of proper aviation in the offing but only balloon flights in the episodes to date.

I'm recounting the history of exploration in Antarctica and am just up to the start of the twentieth century, most recently covering the Scottish National Antarctic Expedition. There's a bunch more voyages to cover before an airframe arrives on the continent, a Vickers REP Douglas Mawson intended using for reconaissance, and it's even longer before the first heavier than air flights over the ice.

Wicked interesting stuff. I've always been a bit fascinated by the expeditions to Antarctica. When I went into the Navy I wanted to get into VXE-6, the squadron that ran logistics to Antarctica...ended up in other platforms though and they decommissioned in '99 or so.

Glad you liked the show, I believe the modeling episode was the first one they had me on...as a guest. I believe Ep.32 is the one we interviewed the Bf109 G4 pilot from the airshow after their first flight, he was very interesting to talk to.

Hey Whitey, good stuff.

You can tell your friend that there is at least one person that is glad that TheHangarDeck.com is finally freed up for use by an actual Aviation Enthusiast, because as he would know, those Hangar Deck domains had been "squatted on" by a profiteer for many years.

That is the reason for the convoluted names I had to use for my own Hangar Deck stuff.

I am sincerely glad that someone is now able to use them.

There is just something "better" about listening to "Airplane talk" than just reading it.

Ever since I went to one of the London NFL games last year, my passion for foootball and sports overall has increased to an extent to where I've started to collect sports memorabilia.

Decent quality mini-helmet collection I found on Amazon, and it came with the display cabinet.

a2aZLj.jpg

My home teams.

WbycRt.jpg

I've been extremely fortunate in the last 18 months to have done quite a bit of traveling, so if there's a Hard Rock Cafe in town, I'll stop in and get a glass for the collection.

LUuKtM.jpg

Along the travel theme, I've started writing trip reports and posting them on the Airliners.net trip report forum.

Since its not really possible to build kits over here (lack of building supplies), I've started collecting 1/200 die-cast and plastic pre-built airliners. The theme is simply to collect all the airliners I've traveled on in my lifetime. I'm about 1/3 of the way through to completion.

vaFIeS.jpg

I from watching mostly informative Youtube videos about gun culture in the USA and yes even in Canada, I now see why shooters enjoy the sport. hickok45 has become one of my favorite Youtubers about firearms. His logical, intelligent and enthusiastic ways to video his gun life and culture is impressive and for me eye opening. I sense viscerally what the sport of shooting may be. As a Canadian who's only ever shot an air rifle, hickok45 helps me sense what it must be like to squeeze off rounds. Besides that, he is a KICK A** shot. He shoots mostly pistols and revolvers and based on my judgement in his videos he can hit targets oh maybe 90/100 feet away with a hand gun ??? BTW this stuff and other videos has me personally like the design and sexy look of revolvers most.

Peace Out beer4.gif271.gif

Gordon, If we ever have the chance to meet, the first, second, and subsequent rounds of drinks are on me! And I too am a huge fan of Hickok45. Love his stuff and he's my go to guy for any guns I may be considering buying. And your comments on gun ownership is spot on. :worship:/> :worship:/>

Bless you my son!

Don

Like a few others on this thread, I'm an avid fly fisher. I've been in thirty states now, but was at least another six before I croak. I fish with nothing but barbless hooks, and release everything unharmed. I'm not what I'd call average at fly tying (little bugs drive me nuts), but like to experiment with new bugs I design. The last couple years I've really gone out of my way to improve my casting as well as distance. Best so far is 85 feet, but think 100 feet is close.

Was playing golf, but messed up my shoulder in a fall while out fishing. I'll be getting back to it soon; I hope anyway. Love photography, and I'm seriously into black & white. But love macro a lot, even though I have not done a lot of it over the last 24 months.

Passionate about music. Really into jazz, but listen to about anything but polka music. I collect 33 1/3LP's as they are the correct medium for listening to music. (I also do reel to reel tape and Cassette). Currently I own a few hundred more than 7,000 copies.

Also an avid reader. Just about anything from English poetry to historical stuff. Currently reading about each President's life, as well as the American Revolution. Tried to get into the War Between The States, but just didn't grab me all that much.

Up and till about a month ago I was an active officer in the Veterans Of Foreign Wars, and loved the job (rose to the #2 slot in my post). Still stay active various issues the effect vets; even though I no longer hold a position. My next move will be to reach out and contact vets in trouble (PTSD and physical issues). I don't want to be some kind of an activist, but a hands on enabler. If I am to become somekind of an activist; I want to tackle the homeless vet issue.

gary

Like a few others on this thread, I'm an avid fly fisher. I've been in thirty states now, but was at least another six before I croak. I fish with nothing but barbless hooks, and release everything unharmed. I'm not what I'd call average at fly tying (little bugs drive me nuts), but like to experiment with new bugs I design. The last couple years I've really gone out of my way to improve my casting as well as distance. Best so far is 85 feet, but think 100 feet is close.

Was playing golf, but messed up my shoulder in a fall while out fishing. I'll be getting back to it soon; I hope anyway. Love photography, and I'm seriously into black & white. But love macro a lot, even though I have not done a lot of it over the last 24 months.

Passionate about music. Really into jazz, but listen to about anything but polka music. I collect 33 1/3LP's as they are the correct medium for listening to music. (I also do reel to reel tape and Cassette). Currently I own a few hundred more than 7,000 copies.

Also an avid reader. Just about anything from English poetry to historical stuff. Currently reading about each President's life, as well as the American Revolution. Tried to get into the War Between The States, but just didn't grab me all that much.

Up and till about a month ago I was an active officer in the Veterans Of Foreign Wars, and loved the job (rose to the #2 slot in my post). Still stay active various issues the effect vets; even though I no longer hold a position. My next move will be to reach out and contact vets in trouble (PTSD and physical issues). I don't want to be some kind of an activist, but a hands on enabler. If I am to become somekind of an activist; I want to tackle the homeless vet issue.

gary

Table tennis, used to play tournaments but now there are none in my village. Shooting and minor gunsmithing, photography, woodworking, flight simulator. Need few hours more on top of regular 24.

The last couple years I've really gone out of my way to improve my casting as well as distance. Best so far is 85 feet, but think 100 feet is close.

About 21m (69 feet) is my best using a 5-6wt rod with a #6 WF line.

I'm self taught since age 13, though had a lesson with a master casting instructor recently in NZ who picked up some casting faults which I'm trying to work on - the main one being my rod having a tendency to swing out to the side on the backcast.

Locally, long casts are not really needed, but they would come in handy sometimes in NZ.

About 21m (69 feet) is my best using a 5-6wt rod with a #6 WF line.

I'm self taught since age 13, though had a lesson with a master casting instructor recently in NZ who picked up some casting faults which I'm trying to work on - the main one being my rod having a tendency to swing out to the side on the backcast.

Locally, long casts are not really needed, but they would come in handy sometimes in NZ.

at one time I owned four six weight rods. Think now I own just one. It's a Scott G series eight foot eight inches long. Kind of a mid flex with a heavy back bone. I've hit seventy five feet with it up-lined to seven weight line. It'll come close to that with six weight line. The seven weight just punches the wind a little better. Own four 4 weight rods. One never would cast very well (Loomis GL3), and discovered it was really a much better rod shooting five weight line. My goto rod is another Scott G series. Shoots line close to seventy feet effortlessly. Still it's a true four weight, and doesn't like to be up-lined. Also have a Scott 3 weight in the same series. (I love the old G series) That rod is seven foot long, and have yet to see a three weight punch line out like it does.

Fish for large mouth and small mouth bass a lot. Smallies around here are either twelve inch fish, or big bruisers. Have caught a small hand full of six pounders, and maybe two seven pounders locally. The big boys will really tax your skills and are known to be hard on tackle. For big fish, I use a Winston eight weight (I still hate that rod) or a Loomis short stick in 7-8 weight. This rod is not slightly close to an eight weight, but a true nine weight (I use ten weight bone fish taper line). It will punch thru a head wind! Loves big hairy streamers (wish the fish did). Yet will throw a small nymph effortlessly. I've caught two 20 inch bass this year with it, and both took me into the weed banks. Just pulled them out! When I bought that rod, I went home and put a reel loaded with eight weight Triangle Taper line on it. I could maybe get forty feet with it! I then took another reel loaded with bass bug taper, and maybe hit fifty feet. I asked a buddy what line he was using? He said ten weight! The rod is rated in grains, but sold in rod weight. Strange! We load the ten weight line in place of the bass bug line. Go outside and hit sixty five feet. Derek takes the rod and literally pull a hundred feet off the reel, and cast a hundred feet! Not one time, but cast after cast. He has me cast again, and said my mechanics are all messed up. That what I've been working on, and can hit 80 feet regularly (can also set the hook at eighty feet). I mostly fish with Wooly Buggers and streamers when using this rod. Crazy thing about a Wooly Bugger is that they will catch just about any fresh water fish. Just get the size and color right. Right now I'm using size 10,12,and even 14's in black and olive. Yet in the fall, I'll be using bugger three inches and even three and a half inches long. After that I quit and run rats thru lily pads. I have my own rat, and it's huge compared to what they sell. I designed it to use a reworked salt water hook. Strikes are almost heart stopping! As in a hand grenade going off. Still that's end up with about three dollars worth of materials and close to two hours labor. Going to try them on Pike and Muskys this fall. I had my youngest son with me bass fishing one fall night (he was about fifteen), and after catching nothing with zero strikes; I switched systems. I went with the eight weight and a big grey rat. (second or third generation of six). Flipped out ontop a big lily pad in a bayou. Swam the rat about three feet, and there was a huge explosion under it. The kid ran back to the car as it scared him! It was a six and a half pound bass. Caught three that night with the smallest being around four pounds. The rat was pretty much trashed after the third fish and about six strikes. Need to start working on generation seven as I've found a new hook from Partridge that is an honest three quarters of an inch longer with a very wide gap (about a dollar a piece) I do this right after the Trico hatch.

gary

at one time I owned four six weight rods. Think now I own just one. It's a Scott G series eight foot eight inches long. Kind of a mid flex with a heavy back bone. I've hit seventy five feet with it up-lined to seven weight line. It'll come close to that with six weight line. The seven weight just punches the wind a little better. Own four 4 weight rods. One never would cast very well (Loomis GL3), and discovered it was really a much better rod shooting five weight line. My goto rod is another Scott G series. Shoots line close to seventy feet effortlessly. Still it's a true four weight, and doesn't like to be up-lined. Also have a Scott 3 weight in the same series. (I love the old G series) That rod is seven foot long, and have yet to see a three weight punch line out like it does.

Fish for large mouth and small mouth bass a lot. Smallies around here are either twelve inch fish, or big bruisers. Have caught a small hand full of six pounders, and maybe two seven pounders locally. The big boys will really tax your skills and are known to be hard on tackle. For big fish, I use a Winston eight weight (I still hate that rod) or a Loomis short stick in 7-8 weight. This rod is not slightly close to an eight weight, but a true nine weight (I use ten weight bone fish taper line). It will punch thru a head wind! Loves big hairy streamers (wish the fish did). Yet will throw a small nymph effortlessly. I've caught two 20 inch bass this year with it, and both took me into the weed banks. Just pulled them out! When I bought that rod, I went home and put a reel loaded with eight weight Triangle Taper line on it. I could maybe get forty feet with it! I then took another reel loaded with bass bug taper, and maybe hit fifty feet. I asked a buddy what line he was using? He said ten weight! The rod is rated in grains, but sold in rod weight. Strange! We load the ten weight line in place of the bass bug line. Go outside and hit sixty five feet. Derek takes the rod and literally pull a hundred feet off the reel, and cast a hundred feet! Not one time, but cast after cast. He has me cast again, and said my mechanics are all messed up. That what I've been working on, and can hit 80 feet regularly (can also set the hook at eighty feet). I mostly fish with Wooly Buggers and streamers when using this rod. Crazy thing about a Wooly Bugger is that they will catch just about any fresh water fish. Just get the size and color right. Right now I'm using size 10,12,and even 14's in black and olive. Yet in the fall, I'll be using bugger three inches and even three and a half inches long. After that I quit and run rats thru lily pads. I have my own rat, and it's huge compared to what they sell. I designed it to use a reworked salt water hook. Strikes are almost heart stopping! As in a hand grenade going off. Still that's end up with about three dollars worth of materials and close to two hours labor. Going to try them on Pike and Muskys this fall. I had my youngest son with me bass fishing one fall night (he was about fifteen), and after catching nothing with zero strikes; I switched systems. I went with the eight weight and a big grey rat. (second or third generation of six). Flipped out ontop a big lily pad in a bayou. Swam the rat about three feet, and there was a huge explosion under it. The kid ran back to the car as it scared him! It was a six and a half pound bass. Caught three that night with the smallest being around four pounds. The rat was pretty much trashed after the third fish and about six strikes. Need to start working on generation seven as I've found a new hook from Partridge that is an honest three quarters of an inch longer with a very wide gap (about a dollar a piece) I do this right after the Trico hatch.

gary

TBH Gary, most of my rods are cheapies which I get from an online seller in Tasmania for less than $250Aus for rod/line/reel, mostly because I lend them to clients I guide, most who are beginners with a fair risk of breaking it! But I find they are great. I've had clients bring their own high-end Sage & Loomis rods, and they are not that much better than the ones I use (though I do notice a fair difference in the quality of lines).

I did have a nice Kilwell (NZ) 5-6 weight for about 30yrs, but lent it to my brother in law when we went to NZ and he busted it within the first 20mins (and bought me a complete piece of cheap rubbish to replace it).

I send my clients a little GoPro vid of their trip afterwards - this was a particularly good day:

. Play it on highest Youtube quality for best effect.

As you can see, the stream is pretty tight and lots of vegetation, and long casts are not really needed. Stealth is the No.1 requirements followed by accuracy and delicacy. He's using one of my little 8'6" 4wts, with a 5wt line, tippet would be 4-6lbs.

Edited by Thommo

Guntherwent.jpg

Collecting autographed books from Apollo Era of NASA

These are a few of my favorite things.....

That one is one I do not have in my collection. I missed seeing him at the Kansas Cosmosphere in April 2010; sadly he passed less than a month after that event.

TBH Gary, most of my rods are cheapies which I get from an online seller in Tasmania for less than $250Aus for rod/line/reel, mostly because I lend them to clients I guide, most who are beginners with a fair risk of breaking it! But I find they are great. I've had clients bring their own high-end Sage & Loomis rods, and they are not that much better than the ones I use (though I do notice a fair difference in the quality of lines).

I did have a nice Kilwell (NZ) 5-6 weight for about 30yrs, but lent it to my brother in law when we went to NZ and he busted it within the first 20mins (and bought me a complete piece of cheap rubbish to replace it).

I send my clients a little GoPro vid of their trip afterwards - this was a particularly good day:

. Play it on highest Youtube quality for best effect.

As you can see, the stream is pretty tight and lots of vegetation, and long casts are not really needed. Stealth is the No.1 requirements followed by accuracy and delicacy. He's using one of my little 8'6" 4wts, with a 5wt line, tippet would be 4-6lbs.

been playing around with a ten and a half foot five weight for a year and a half now. Bought for deep wading, and nymphs. Discovered the rod will seriously punch thru the wind, but the down side is the rod is a little soft (too much flex). Can't really complain as I have $200 in it. Tried six weight line on it once, and just would not cast. The long rod is fantastic for dropping drys in pocket water. Still could be a little stiffer in the tip. You should try Joan Wulff Triangle Taper line. Absolutely the best roll casting I've ever seen. The tip is so light, it barely moves the water when it lands.

This year is the first time I ever seriously experimented with leaders. Worlds of difference, but it's something I should have been doing ten years ago. Always learning new things, and then integrating them into my system. Think I'm going to try shooting heads next year on my big rods.

gary

• 2 weeks later...

Wicked interesting stuff. I've always been a bit fascinated by the expeditions to Antarctica. When I went into the Navy I wanted to get into VXE-6, the squadron that ran logistics to Antarctica...ended up in other platforms though and they decommissioned in '99 or so.

Glad you liked the show, I believe the modeling episode was the first one they had me on...as a guest. I believe Ep.32 is the one we interviewed the Bf109 G4 pilot from the airshow after their first flight, he was very interesting to talk to.

I've really got to thank you for introducing me to this series. Besides enjoying plugging through the entire back catalogue, I spoke to Pete, Eddie and Jesse about aviation in Antarctica and they released an episode based on that discussion in under a week. They are knocking aero-podcasting out of the park.

PS: your accent is cool.

Edited by worldslaziestbusker

I've really got to thank you for introducing me to this series. Besides enjoying plugging through the entire back catalogue, I spoke to Pete, Eddie and Jesse about aviation in Antarctica and they released an episode based on that discussion in under a week. They are knocking aero-podcasting out of the park.

PS: your accent is cool.

Alright cool! Sorry I missed the sit down for that episode, I was leaving for the IPMS Nationals the next morning and had lots going on so couldn't make it over there. Glad you enjoy the show. We will be talking with Wolfgang Czaija tonight...Luftwaffe and NASA F-104 pilot and the Military Aviation Museums Me-262 pilot.

P.S. : I'm working on the accent, but after 28 years away from Boston Mass., it isn't going anywhere! lol.

Sounds like I will have to tune into this podcast as it seems interesting. Something to have on in the background while at the bench.

:cheers:

Alright cool! Sorry I missed the sit down for that episode, I was leaving for the IPMS Nationals the next morning and had lots going on so couldn't make it over there. Glad you enjoy the show. We will be talking with Wolfgang Czaija tonight...Luftwaffe and NASA F-104 pilot and the Military Aviation Museums Me-262 pilot.

P.S. : I'm working on the accent, but after 28 years away from Boston Mass., it isn't going anywhere! lol.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I like your accent.

Speaking strayan, as I do, means I don't get to look down my nose at anyone else' cadence, but I really like the Boston brogue.

I look forward to hearing from Wolfgang Czaija. F-104 is a fascinating machine.