I'm trying to find out why my Grandfather was awarded the "Military Medal" in World War One. (Knowing him , it may have involved a unit of nurses...:) )

He was in the Seaforth Highlanders, 72nd Batallion, BC Regiment. I do know he was shot by a sniper, and lost an earlobe and his left lung, and was invalidated out due to his injuries, but so far, I cannot seem to find anything that tells me why he got that particilar medal. ANy ideas of where to look online? Google hasn't been much help.

Al P.

You can order a copy of his military service file from the Canadian Archives thru the Soldiers of the First World War . I got the WW1 records for both my grandfathers and my uncle's WW2 service record.

The Military & Peacekeeping has a list of more collections that can be searched including Medals, Honours and Awards and CEF War Diaries.

:cheers:

We can do similar here in Australia. The information is available online from the Australian War Memorial, or for a small fee, a complete hard copy can be sent to the requester.

This is how I found out about my Great Uncle Leyshon, who was killed at the Battle of the Nek, 7th August 1915. No one knew anything about him. His body was never found.

His service record was compelling, especially the telegrams back and forth from my great Grandmother (his sister) and the AIF.

The Australian site has more info on line than the Canadian site does. Ours is limited to Attestation Papers currently, the rest has to be ordered. I found info from AWM on an Aussie cousin who died of wounds in Oct 1917 in Belguim, at a Canadian Field Hospital.

:cheers: