After the driving pet peeves thread, you know this was next... so, what's, in your opinion, the ultimate abomination that can be committed on an unsuspecting vehicle, fresh off the salon?

My personal list:

3) Tank cover sticker. Printed in lurid fake-chrome and fake-carbon effect, and sometimes both, these things scream FAKE louder than Godzilla's roar.

I respectfully present the image of one such embellishment(?), which the vehicle's owner has successfully removed - a ghost of the dreadful sticker is still visible on the actual gas cap cover. Note how it doesn't even attempt to match the shape of the real thing, but has the nuts rendered in delicate 3d!

nomoresticker2.jpg

Second place is a tie:

2a) "[NAME OF CHILD] ON BOARD" sticker. I'll drive carefully around you because that's what I always do, not because knowing the name of your little special snowflake (who might now have children of their own, given the usual faded, cracked and peeling state of the sticker) somehow makes him or her dearer to my heart. I know, I'm an old witch with a capital B.

00.jpg

2b) "Calvin-like boy peeing on whatever" sticker. You just never had an original thought in your life, had you? Yeah, thought so. I'm not even showing one as we all know what I'm talking about.

1) Crochet cushions. Hopefully facing extinction due to the disappearance of their breeder species, the knitting granny, these are still occasionally found on the back seat of Cinquecentos and Prinzs, where they are supposed to give your sweaty skin a reprieve from the ferocious heat of the leatherette in the summer months. Unfortunately, they are always made from the oldest, most-recycled wool thread (some dating back to UNRAAR supplies of WWII vintage) and will chafe your buttocks like there's no tomorrow.

IMG_1283.jpg

Seen here in its natural environment, this predator hypnotizes its victims by means of its ugly pattern before the fatal strike.

Pretty much anything listed at RiceCop.com.

Poorly-maintained 3rd-generation ('82-'92) Firebirds or Camaros, or any sleazed/crapped-out member of either family. (Think Bumblebee in Transformers before restyling himself into a new Camaro.)

Ridiculously jacked-up trucks or SUV's in an urban environment. (If you're out in the sticks and popping into town for the day that's one thing, but if you live there... hey, other people need to be able to see what's going on around 'em too!)

And that's just getting warmed up... but I feel better now, so I'll stop here. :)

Civics and Corollas with wings and thousands of $ worth of aftermarket rims and low profile tires. Dude, even after all that money invested, you are still driving a shatbox economy car.

2nd place - those plastic ballbags hanging off of truck tow hitches. Those trucks must look really cool while parked in front of their trailer.

3rd place - those stick figure decals of your entire family and pets on the rear window of your minivan / SUV. You just announced to the world that you are totally PW'd (anyone see the episode of Tosh.0 with those stickers being featured?).

Low profile rubber and over sized rims on pick up trucks and SUV's. Low profile rubber and properly sized rims belong on sporty coupes and sedans not trucks and SUV's. Why buy a truck if you want to reduce its effectiveness to haul and make it look silly with rubber bands for tires on 24+" rims? :rolleyes:

Spinners, anything seen in a C Rap "music" video, obvious efforts at "compensating" with your vehicle. There are more but those come quickly to mind.

Edited by dmthamade

Low profile rubber and over sized rims on pick up trucks and SUV's. Low profile rubber and properly sized rims belong on sporty coupes and sedans not trucks and SUV's. Why buy a truck if you want to reduce its effectiveness to haul and make it look silly with rubber bands for tires on 24+" rims? :rolleyes:

There's someone around here with that set-up on a Jeep Wrangler. I cannot use the word that describes my opinion here...

2nd place - those plastic ballbags hanging off of truck tow hitches. Those trucks must look really cool while parked in front of their trailer.

I second this. Thanks for the laugh.

I also don't understand the purple glowing lights from underneath the car. They are usually installed on a crappy car. Spend the money on a nice car for heavens sake.

For me, I really hate ANY political campaign stickers on a car. And I mean ANY! Okay, do I really want to know who you are or have voted for? Should I care? If the guy or woman lost, then the driver of said car seems like a lazy person for leaving the sticker on all these months or years later. You couldn't be bothered with removing the sticker? If it is somebody I didn't like and they won, now I have this feeling that I shouldn't like the other driver because they voted for somebody I think is a dummy occupying an office. I haven't met that person in the car and for all I know, I might love them, but I may never know. Now I have to flip them the secret bird because I see this crap on their car. Now, if the sticker is for somebody I like and they won, I kind of suppose I feel I have to empathize with the person and like them when they could be a jerk. What if the person with the sticker on the car cuts you off in traffic now? What if the guy in that car or truck is a brash individual in public who says "I want to be treated with respect because I voted for this guy"?

Do us all a favor, if you get a political campaign sticker, just leave it at home so I DON'T have to know that bit about you as I am just trying to survive this drive and I don't want any distractions. A sticker about who YOU are and not who YOU vote for I find more acceptable. Then I know more about you, I don't get a perception of you from somebody else. I never ASKED you who you voted for or whom you are GOING to vote for, so please, you don't need to tell me or stick it in my face on the rear bumper or back window of your car.

I guess they are trying to compensate for some other inadequacies... :woot.gif:

3rd place - those stick figure decals of your entire family and pets on the rear window of your minivan / SUV.

I did see one car that made me laugh - it had the father, mother, three kids, a dog, two cats, the duck, and so on. Below them was a sticker that read "Honk if kid falls out" :thumbsup:

Those stick-on half-baseballs that look like it's embedded in the window. Seriously, ***?

I thought they were cute when I first saw them - in 1982... :wacko:

Those window stickers of Calvin urinating on whatever the driver doesn't like.

Those "3" stickers memorializing a race car driver who's been dead for a decade now.

And those jingoistic uber-patriotic stickers/decals/paintjobs. I have no problem with a flag in the window or on the car, or even a yellow ribbon..I'm taking about these in-your-face "I'm REAL 'Murakin!!!" displays.

Now, I'd better put my Nomex suit and head for the bunker...

SN

Donks..... ESPECIALLY when they do it to a '60's Muscle Car....oh the horror!

lifted_cars_donks.jpg

and don't forget the Donks distant cousing the lowrider with wheelbarrow wheels on 'em!

Rodneys3rdgen.jpg

and as already mentioned, ridiculous spoilers on ridiculous cars

HUGE-Spoiler-01.jpg

Edited by blunce

Well that last one was obviously made for the lulz... thumbs up.

Nthing the "tuning on a tuna can" trend. Say you bought a compact, I'm sure there was a perfectly good reason for it, and what's done is done. Now what about saving for later what you didn't spend for it, so you can aim higher next time, instead of wasting money on fiberglass replacements, micalized body jobs and a speaker system that takes up the whole trunk?

A guy I used to know got himself killed on the motorbike and his parents had to sell his car - 15,000€ worth of accessories on a brand new Renault Clio. They couldn't find one single buyer.

People who install the world's brightest headlights, so they can blind the crap out of you when you are comming the other way.

People who smoke tint their rear lights so you can't see if they are braking.

Chrome trim, eurgh.

Fake metal trim.

Fake carbon trim.

Sticking a massive exhaust on your 1.1 metro, because then it's like a racing car. :rolleyes:

Neon lights under the car. Why?

Home computer systems and tvs / dvd players in the car. Why?

Tinted black windows, who do you think you are? The Mafia?

People with wheels that are too big for the car, so have terrible cambering and a 1,000,000 meter turning circle. What's the point?

Edited by T0M4ever

Turbo Pop off valves that make them sound a like a tea kettle. PssssTT woo woo woo woo woo.

And these stickers which are becoming popular in Australia:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tajY9-Yjbl4/TfjW3nEjCEI/AAAAAAAABYk/wGl49cseBfg/s1600/stick-family-activities.jpg

Dump valves do sound cool sometimes though . . .

And they actually have a use, unlike most modifications.

Those rediculous 30' rims on a perfectly nice car. I saw one the other day. A very nice 70

Mustang with those "wagon wheels" on it. Completely ruined the clean looks of the car. A mustang is meant to be low and hug the ground, not 20 feet in the air to where you have to get a step ladder to enter your car.

Cars with a rediculous paint job on them. Purple with metal flake, gold, yellow pearlescent,

paint jobs that fade into another color( with metal flake of course!).

$2000 car stereo systems in a crappy $500 car.( don't forget those rims!) My greatest enjoyment is when the police catch them down the street because they were playing their stereo as loud as it can go. I happen to live right around the corner from the police station and I see them racing down the street all the time with lights on to ticket the loud stereo cars.

RYAN.

As a motor sport fan (and someone with some common sense) I have to say I totally agree with every single reply to this thread. A car is designed for a purpose and that is to be driven and not some ridiculous head dress to attract a potential mate. I wish I had something to add to it but Iv'e seen just about every single one of these abominations in one form or another within the past week. And every time they have be met with a resounding pffft from myself. Cheers for the laughs people. keep em coming.

Joel