As a Raider fan of 38 years this one hurts. Al Davis was not in it for the money, he was it in for the Raiders, he was the Raiders.

`Al Davis's passion for football and his influence on the game were extraordinary. He defined the Raiders and contributed to pro football at every level. The respect he commanded was evident in the way that people listened carefully every time he spoke. He is a true legend of the game whose impact and legacy will forever be part of the NFL.'' - NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell

A pioneer, innovator, maverick, coach, owner,a Hall of Famer,Promoter, no matter what he was from your point of view, Mr. Al Davis left his mark and will long be remembered for a commitment to excellence as one of the leads in making the NFL what it is today, and the many good things he did. Godspeed and Rest in eternal Peace.

As much as Al Davis was one of the hearts and souls of the NFL and the AFL before the merger, I am a little glad he is gone as the Raiders have kind of gone to levels of mediocrity in the past decade since Gruden left as coach (then they got rid of Bill Callahan and he messed up Nebraska football for a few seasons). When Al was at the press conference for Hugh Jackman being brought in as head coach (IMHO, they didn't have to let Tom Cable go since he got them to their first winning season in many years), he looked like the EMPEROR from Star Wars! It was scarey to watch the replays. I think the Al Davis of old left a few years ago already.

It is sad he is gone as indeed he made pro football what it is today.

It is going to be an interesting game tomorrow between the 3-1 Texans and the 2-2 Raiders. I might pick the Texans, but I have a feeling Oakland is going to play at a higher level so they can "just win baby!"

Edited by Jay Chladek