Remember please...NO Critiqueing in this sub forum

Fellow modelers....please remember that unsolicited critiques are not to be offered in the Display Case. This is just for those who wish to display their models only. If a modeler wishes to receive any critiques they should post in the Critique Corner. In that sub-forum it is understood that critiques are invited!

Thanks much,

Terry Sumner

Edited by terrysumner

Terry,

This is really a rediculouse rule to only allow condtructive comments in one forum and have 3 forums for only showing things off, along with all the other forums that do not allow comments. If someone posts on an open and public forum, they should be thick-skinned and adult enough to take constructive comments, along with all the atta boys. The constant atta boys only make this site less of an authoritative site where people can receive constructive comments and improve their modeling skills. The whole point to open forums is to exchange ideas, techniques, and best practices so all of us can become better modelers. That's my take on it anyways.

Edited by HeavyArty

Terry,

This is really a rediculouse rule to only allow condtructive comments in one forum and have 3 forums for only showing things off, along with all the other forums that do not allow comments. If someone posts on an open and public forum, they should be thick-skinned and adult enough to take constructive comments, along with all the atta boys. The constant atta boys only make this site less of an authoritative site where people can receive constructive comments and improve their modeling skills. The whole point to open forums is to exchange ideas, techniques, and best practices so all of us can become better modelers. That's my take on it anyways.

I've got to agree with this. If you don't want people mentioning any faults just say something like 'I know there might be some faults but I'm not to worried' in your post and then people will know.

I usually only get critical on people WIP were they ask comments or a completed model if it's something that can be easily fixed or something that is just big time wrong.

And after all critiquing is also merit recognition not just finding fault with something, which means that everyone who replies is critiquing!

Edited by Tbolt

I agree! This subforum seems to be a complete waste of space on the board. Doesnt make sense at all that you cant tell someone they did something wrong to help them out. I make mistakes, how am I gonna get any better if nobody tells me where I messed up? This "everybody wins" crap is going to far in this country. Get rid of this sissy subforum and combine the posts from here into the "critique corner", and call it a day.

If you don't want people mentioning any faults just say something like 'I know there might be some faults but I'm not to worried' in your post and then people will know.

Doesnt make sense at all that you cant tell someone they did something wrong to help them out. I make mistakes, how am I gonna get any better if nobody tells me where I messed up?

Honestly don't see what the problem is.

If people want criticism, constructive or otherwise, there is a perfectly good sub-forum available.

Not everybody wants or needs "educating" on their handy-work, some are perfectly content to display it in this section and use it as the Display Case it is meant to be.

If you like it, leave a comment.

If you don't like or the subject doesn't appeal, don't leave a comment.

This whole forum is geared towards people exchanging information.

You can ask any question, request any type of information, give and receive criticism to your heart's content on every subject.

Display Case is there as a gallery, a place to show models built to the highest standard the modeller can achieve using the kits, tools, references and materials available to them at the time.

If anyone considers the Display Case a "complete waste of time" the simple solution would be to not go there.

If some of the members spot glaring errors or omissions that so enrage them that the world couldn't possibly go unheeded a quick PM might ease their tortured souls as well.

I think a big reason that the 'critique corner' was separated from the "display case" is that when there was only one category almost every model posted was met with nothing but "That's awesome!" and "That looks great!" comments.

If anybody dared post anything even slightly negative they risked either upsetting the builder or worse yet, facing the wrath of those who thought they were being mean.

People who truly wanted constructive criticism weren't getting any.

People who wanted to offer constructive criticism were afraid to do so.

Also consider that some people are hesitant to post anything as they are shy or worry that their models aren't 'good enough' to share. They should be encouraged to show their work and have a place that they can share without worrying about their work being shredded with unwanted critiques. They can 'grow a thicker skin' when they have gained experience and confidence in their workmanship.

There are those who just want to display their models without hearing any critiques.

There are those who want to display them so that they can receive critiques and suggestions to improve their skills.

There are those who want to display them hoping to not hear critiques, but are open to them if there is something they can improve upon.

Having separate sub-forums addresses those issues and doesn't do any harm other than forcing you to surf an additional sub-category to view the models.

:cheers:

Display Case is there as a gallery, a place to show models built to the highest standard the modeller can achieve using the kits, tools, references and materials available to them at the time.

So why allow replies at all, if the forum is to be regarded as a Chinese parliament of yeah-sayers?

/Joachim

There are those who just want to display their models without hearing any critiques.

But since a critique is also merit recognition that means you can't even reply with 'good job', so if you don't want critiquing then don't use the forum, send in a gallery item! But of course then there a 'today's birds' forum, (which I guess we are only allowed positive critiques on), though you don't have to look at it.

Edited by Tbolt

I agree! This subforum seems to be a complete waste of space on the board. Doesnt make sense at all that you cant tell someone they did something wrong to help them out. I make mistakes, how am I gonna get any better if nobody tells me where I messed up? This "everybody wins" crap is going to far in this country. Get rid of this sissy subforum and combine the posts from here into the "critique corner", and call it a day.

Ok, how about for starters sub-forum should have a hyphen, you left off all of your apostrophies indicating a contraction, you misspelled too and you missed the whole point of having seperate forums. :woot.gif:

It's not hurting anybody having a place where those that don't want to hear negative comments can post. Just as it's not hurting anybody having a place where you can post and get bombed on all the stupid errors of a build. I see it as a win-win situation so what's the problem with that?

JMO that is,

Bill

Ok, how about for starters sub-forum should have a hyphen, you left off all of your apostrophies indicating a contraction, you misspelled too and you missed the whole point of having seperate forums. :woot.gif:

It's not hurting anybody having a place where those that don't want to hear negative comments can post. Just as it's not hurting anybody having a place where you can post and get bombed on all the stupid errors of a build. I see it as a win-win situation so what's the problem with that?

JMO that is,

Bill

In that case can we have a set of 'don't criticize my English' sub-forums ;)

I think the point is that you end up with more sub-forums than is really needed making it more work to scan the latest models. Hyperscale scale just has the 'Plastic Pics' forum where as the same thing here is split into three forums.

Can we have a 'You can leave a really nice comment or a small suggestion for improvement but please don't hurt my feelings' sub-forum?

Edited by Tbolt

Once I have built a model it goes in the display cabinet probably never to see the light of day again (apart from dusting), there is no point telling me that I used the wrong colours, an incorrect paint scheme or that there is a massive thumb print on the canopy.I usually am my own worst critic and can see these glaring mistakes only too clearly.

I will rarely ever build a model of a particular subject again so there is no point in pointing out the mistakes, that should happen on a build thread as far as I am concerned when there is time to take on board any sage advice and act on it.

It's a very personal thing but this is my view.

Cheers

Dennis

Once I have built a model it goes in the display cabinet probably never to see the light of day again (apart from dusting), there is no point telling me that I used the wrong colours, an incorrect paint scheme or that there is a massive thumb print on the canopy.I usually am my own worst critic and can see these glaring mistakes only too clearly.

Cheers

Dennis

+1 :thumbsup:

I don't think "I have to check three whole sub-forums to see all the latest models!" quite qualifies as a huge problem or major inconvenience. <_<

This is perfect the way it is. If people want to get polite critique on what they can improve on (don't be deliberately dense--you know what exactly what "critique" means in this case), then they have a place to go to get it. If they just want a place to show off their stuff, they have that, too. What's wrong with options, and having more choices?

In the rare event where I actually finish a model, I like to post it here, in the Display Case. I'm not even looking for "Atta boy"s or "looks great" (altho I do appreciate them when I get them). I just want to show it off so that other people who might appreciate it can have a chance to see it, too... and this forum is an easier way to do it than writing and submitting an article for the main page, which I'm too lazy to do. :P I'm in that group who knows exactly what's wrong with my builds. I'm my own harshest critic--I don't need someone else pointing it all out to me. And in the rare case where there's a mistake that I may not have noticed, it's almost definitely going to be too late for me to do anything about it. So all that mentioning it to me does is give me one more thing to be unhappy about whenever I look at it sitting on my shelf; sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

But since a critique is also merit recognition that means you can't even reply with 'good job'...
Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing?

The Display Case-

"Display your finished models here to show us your model and get some compliments."

Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time trying to compose a thoughtful reply...

I think the point is that you end up with more sub-forums than is really needed making it more work to scan the latest models.
If you really want to complain about too many sub-forums hiding builds then you should target the group builds.

I know I rarely have time to sift through all the various threads of each group build looking for actual builds, so I miss out on a lot of nice models. And then there are those builds tucked away in the helo forum, the classic planes forum, the sci-fi forum, etc.

It would be nice if all of the in-progress builds were in one place and all of the finished builds were in the two sub-forums.

Can we have a 'You can leave a really nice comment or a small suggestion for improvement but please don't hurt my feelings' sub-forum?
If we were to go back to just one 'finished builds' sub-forum then we would have the same problems that we did before (please re-read my previous reply for an explanation).

I don't think "I have to check three whole sub-forums to see all the latest models!" quite qualifies as a huge problem or major inconvenience. <_<

This is perfect the way it is. If people want to get polite critique on what they can improve on (don't be deliberately dense--you know what exactly what "critique" means in this case), then they have a place to go to get it. If they just want a place to show off their stuff, they have that, too. What's wrong with options, and having more choices?

In the rare event where I actually finish a model, I like to post it here, in the Display Case. I'm not even looking for "Atta boy"s or "looks great" (altho I do appreciate them when I get them). I just want to show it off so that other people who might appreciate it can have a chance to see it, too... and this forum is an easier way to do it than writing and submitting an article for the main page, which I'm too lazy to do. :P I'm in that group who knows exactly what's wrong with my builds. I'm my own harshest critic--I don't need someone else pointing it all out to me. And in the rare case where there's a mistake that I may not have noticed, it's almost definitely going to be too late for me to do anything about it. So all that mentioning it to me does is give me one more thing to be unhappy about whenever I look at it sitting on my shelf; sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

When I say "I have to check three whole sub-forums to see all the latest models!" I wasn't saying it was a hugh problem but for instance if you want to go back and look at a thread on a particular model trying to find what sub-forum it was in can be difficult, OK if you have left a message in that thread it's easy to find, but if not it can be a pain.

I just think that if someone wants feedback then just put "C&C welcome" at the end of your post, then if someone doesn't put that then people shouldn't critique it.

If you really want to complain about too many sub-forums hiding builds then you should target the group builds.

I know I rarely have time to sift through all the various threads of each group build looking for actual builds, so I miss out on a lot of nice models. And then there are those builds tucked away in the helo forum, the classic planes forum, the sci-fi forum, etc.

It would be nice if all of the in-progress builds were in one place and all of the finished builds were in the two sub-forums.

Exactly, people post their models here for people to enjoy them and like you and probably a lot of people I'm sure I've missed a lot of great models because there is some forum I don't get to look in that often.

As for the group build that's a difficult one as yes there are quite a few running at the same time which is difficult to cut back on a popular forum like this. But again due to time I will only tend to look in on a couple of the group build forums that interest me the most, so I'm sure I am missing out on some great builds, but that's kind of good in a way, it just shows how popular our hobby is at the moment!

But all this is just my opinion, which is similar to some other people's looking at this thread.

I don't check forums I find it easier to hit the "View New Content" button (top of page on the right), it's far easier.

Cheers

Dennis

That's true that is a bit easier but that's a lot to go through when you are not interested in all sub-forums, though I guess if your able to do it every day it's not so bad.

I'm with Dennis on this, I try to check in here every day but occasionally its every second. I find that daily is about 8-9 pages, 2 days about 17. With some practise, its possible to whizz through them quite quickly. I guess it depends on what your interests are, I'm mainly props but I like to look in on anything that takes my interest. It generally doesn't take too long & I don't have a hugely fast connection, quicker than dial up but our local exchange is as slow as all heck.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

This is why I don't show my work. I rather keep it to my self and have my own little museum to walk into. People who show there work on this forum always get a giant congrats from me. In my opnion there are no faults in anything that you try to accomplish.

This is why I don't show my work. I rather keep it to my self and have my own little museum to walk into. People who show there work on this forum always get a giant congrats from me. In my opnion there are no faults in anything that you try to accomplish.

Oh please. I bet you are all for every kid getting a trophy, not keeping score, everyone's a winner, there are no losers, etc., etc. .. and every other politically correct wheenie crap out there that is causing us to have a whole generation of kids who can't handle real life where people do tell them they can't always be the winner.:bandhead2: