Review of Platz FW190-D9 and Monochrome Val in 1/144

Forgive me ARCers for I have sinned- it has been far too long between '1/144 goodness' posts. :P

The box is compact and obviously holds two kits.

Nicely sealed in plastic bags (stapled shut)

d9mainsprue.jpg

Looking at the main sprue it almost seems to imply that it would be easy-ish to do a flaps-down option.

d9finedetail.jpg

I like how detailed and fine it is - now to see how badly I screw it up brush painting. I suspect I will have to apply some nice thin/diluted layers of paint on.

d9stubs.jpg

More detail - I don't know if that is correct for a D9 exhaust.

d9prop.jpg

I understand that the props were made out of wood at this time but are they the right shape? To me pretty close.

d9propside.jpg

I like how Platz have molded some extra to prevent/minimise breakage here. Kudos.

d9canopyclarity.jpg

The canopy above decals - not too thick

d9canopychoice.jpg

A choice of straight or (is it Galland hood?) variants.

Edited by Wege

d9decals.jpg

Screen printed decals (as mentioned on the box cover). Look how nice and close to the edge of the coloured decal that the adhesive is cut from. Very nice.

d9instructions4.jpg

d9instructions3.jpg

d9instructions2.jpg

Instructions for aforementioned D9 variant. I have not worked out which two I will build, but build them I will. They will look (I hope) awesome next to the Eduard Czech CS91 as well as the other 4 Eduard Me 262As that I have yet to properly start. One of those I hope will not be just a standard A1. :)

All in all, I like this lots. I liked the look of the other recent Platz 're'release of the A4 and this looked nice on the pre-orders. I think the earlier D9 release had the JV44 'red undersides' option and I think this is a nice addition to the selection.

Thanks to www.1999.co.jp/eng for this item, courtesy of my wallet, which was about $19.50AU.

Edited by Wege

I noticed that Freightdog models had a discount going on Monochrome F86 sets. Once I finally got around to ordering them, I was informed that while 1 option was available, the other was actualy out of stock. Sniff waaahhh. etc. The chap kindly gave me the option of selecting one of a couple of other kits at the same price or refunding my money. After a quick look at the options, I selected the Val, a bit unsure but I thought "what the hey". It turns out that this VAL was a Japan only release and looks realllly nice indeed.

monochromeval.jpg

Notice all those plastic bags? Each sprue and the decal sheet is wrapped in plastic -inside another plastic bag!

monochromevalmainsprue.jpg

Main sprue, obviously. A slightly soft-ish plastic

monochromevalwings.jpg

Both raised and etched detail. Looks and feels nice.

monochromevaldetail.jpg

Ahhh. look at that tube.

monochromevalcanopy.jpg

Thick-ish, but nice and clearly defined. Will be easy to paint I hope - easier than the Eduard Ju87 at this scale.

monochromevaldecals.jpg

They will go down nicely if similar to the 'Trumpeter' F86. :)

valinstruc4.jpg

valinstruc3.jpg

valinstruc2.jpg

valinstruc1.jpg

Hmmmm, not the clearest paint call out in the world. I guess IJN Green and IJN Grey Green will be needed. Time to hit the Tamiya bottles. Any comments or suggestions for colours please?

The detail looks as nice and crisp as the detail from Platz and the two Sweet A6M2s that I am currently in the middle of. From something that I was a bit wary of, I am looking forward to adding such a strange (to me) aircraft to my set. The hard thing I think for me will be trying to keep it looking and feeling nice and clean and simple without clumping all over it.

Thanks to the friendly support and help from www.freightdogmodels.co.uk. Quick replys and helpful. Price was about $21AUS landed with the Monochrome F86 30 and 40 Sabres. :)

Edited by Wege

Hal Sr- thanks for tidying that point up. :) Was it to improve rearwards visibility? I would have thought that the curve would have made production of the hoods harder at that point of the war?

Salvine... I think I have actually got that link somewhere in my favourites. The site is down at the moment. Are they people who sell the Bren gun accessories for the H.Hunter and Douglas A4?

Shawn - One thing I liked with the Dora kit (which I spose I should have mentioned in the write up) is that the white lines for the spinners are also provided for in the decals - That will be a first for me. I hope it is as easy as it appears.

And of course there are two sprue of every thing so one can make the two D9s with blown hoods as well.

I would suppose iproved visibility would've been the reason. If you plan to use a blown hood, remember that it included no tensioner for the antenna cable, thus leaving that accessory slack when the hood was slid back. Only the earlier flat topped hood had the tensioner. My recently completed 1/48th D-13 illustrates nicely what I'm talking about. Hal Sr

P1010047-1.jpg

Edited by Hal Marshman Sr

Good review! nicely shot pictures! The Doras look great! Although the Val looks like it has 'trenches' for panel lines, am sure it will turn out better if you hand painted them - the paint will fill it out some! I hope you can do some reviews on the sabres too! Doing one of those with an Aussie mod/marking might be interesting.

Had planned to on both.

Thanks for (IMO undeserved) credit on pics... the time of day I can take them and the poor light is rather GRRR..

I have only brushes to paint with but I think that the 'crevasses' certainly highlight the panel variation and shapes.

My current question for this VAL is the colour callout. 125? I think for gunze for the cowling. Does this really need to be a colour apart from Matte black? Do I really need to add a tinge of blue to it?

?

The cowl should indeed by a deep blue-black, but in that scale a semi-gloss black should look fine. If you want to get picky, just add a drop or two of dark blue to the black.

SN

Edited by Steve N