Looking for better parts for my SBC, I remembered this started Fujimi Claude. It's from a few years back. Nothing glued together, but some painting done.

Soryu-1.jpg

Soryu-2.jpg

At this point, it goes together pretty quickly.

Soryu-3.jpg

Soryu-5.jpg

This is a pretty sweet, little kit. It's well detailed and has good fit.

Soryu-6.jpg

There is not much that shows in the cockpit when everything is together. The belts show up pretty well and worth adding.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Luno13 and Old Man. Fujimi's Claudes are really nice kits. Pretty fool proof, too.

Claudes had large, noticeable lens covers for the navigation lights. In my previous Claude build, I did the silver then clear paint trick. Never really liked the result. So...

Soryu-7.jpg

Soryu-8.jpg

I hope these look nicer than my earlier attempt. The clear plastic will get a clear color coat, red or blue as appropriate.

Soryu-9.jpg

So. A lot of polishing to remove sanding scratches. It could have used still more polishing. A metal coat. Alclad 101. Based on the photo I'm using, she'll get a yellow tint coat.

• 2 weeks later...

I've changed focus just a little bit. I came across an interesting book about IJNAF units in China 1938-1941. The book is chock full of Nakajima A2N, A3N, & A4N, Mitsubishi A5M, and only a smattering of Zeroes. Really interesting book. So no more Soryu Claude. Now it will be from 14 Ku, China 1939.

This is the subject plane:

Claude1.jpg

and the book:

BookCover.jpg

From the caption, the numeral on the tail is 9-158.

Edited by johnsan

Thank you, Deacon. I hope I don't disappoint.

Somewhere in the last several weeks, I lost the tail wheel. I cobbled this from sheet plastic and wire. Tools used were punch & die set and a hot knife.

Soryu-12.jpg

I think it's decent enough replacement.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Aaronw. Actually, Fujimi has 4 Claude kits allowing one to make almost every model A5M. Their family lacks the A5M2b, which was an early model with a canopy and the A5M4K, a 2-seat trainer. They are all nice kits and well worth obtaining.

I've been busy with work and travel. I've had precious little time for the bench. I do have a small update, though.

Soryu-13.jpg

The engine has been wired and added to the cowling. The prop has been painted it needs a wash and some warning stripes on the front of the blades. There's also the pitot and antenna, both made from brass rod.

It's getting closer and should be finished in the next couple of days.

Thanks for looking.

Edit: sorry. I missed the question on the tint. The tint is Future tinted with yellow ink. It was applied using a fairly wide brush. Very easy. Very controllable.

Edited by johnsan