1/72 155th ARW KC-135R - Nebraska ANG

Hello All,

Time for another update on the Stratotanker. This time I've only got one photo for you, but I hope you like it. I decided to get to work on the APU enclosure. After checking out more of Mark's photos, I determined where the APU should sit on the cargo floor, marked it out with a fine tip Sharpie, and set to work on scratchbuilding it. It's a simple box made from sheet styrene, using right angled gussets inside to keep the sides straight. Detailing was done with copper wire for the handles and hinge for the fire extinguisher access doors on both sides, as well as some of the smaller details like conduits. The large pipes coming out of the top were done with tube styrene cut to the approximate angle and length, then covered in aluminum foil glued down with white glue. A hole was drilled for the other pipe that goes into the enclosure that travels up towards the front of the aircraft. The two items towards the front are 3mm LED's that had their leads cut off and were superglued in place on a little block of balsa to raise them up. The brackets enclosing the LED's were made from sheet styrene as well. I laid down three strips of styrene on the cargo floor to set the box on as it appears to have some space between the enclosure sides and the floor. It's now drying on the strip styrene and will be painted when the cargo floor is painted.

So now that the boring reading part is over, here is the photo of the progress:

KC-135RAPURawFinished.jpg

That's all I've got for now. I'm also in the process of cutting the flaps out, starting with the fillet flaps. Once I have a little more done there, I'll post more pictures. I hope you've enjoyed the progress, and as always, if you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you!

:cheers:

Justin

Hey, All,

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope everybody is having a wonderful holiday season. I have another picture request: would someone be able to point me towards some good photos of the root area of the wings where the front of the flaps go? I've got the flaps cut off the wings and glued together, but I'd like to know what type of detail I'll need to add at the front of the flaps in the wings. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

After the holidays, I've finally had some time to get back to the bench. Today's update covers a wide range of items, so let's get started.

First, I managed to lay down some paint on the cargo floor and in the cockpit area. It's far from being complete, just a base coat and some preliminary detail painting. It was during this time that I was looking at some other photos of what people had done with the KC-135 kits and discovered the Airwaves photoetch set. I've decided to purchase a set and incorporate it into my kit as well. I had a hard time replicating the safety grate over the crew access area, and I tried everything from pieces of photo etch runners, to styrene, to foil. I just can't get the look right. So I figured since that's included with the photoetch kit, as well as some of the circuit breaker panels and electronics equipment, I may as well get it. So that will be coming soon. But for right now, here's the preliminary painting in the cockpit.

This is a look at the lav area. I have left the forward cargo hold bulkhead off for ease of painting. Still a few touch-ups to complete, but I like how it's turning out.

I created my own decal to put above the urinals as I remember a similar sign over them in the NEANG tankers: "We aim to please. You aim too, please."

I have no idea what the round thing in the corner of the lavatory area is, I have no idea what color it should be, so I painted it red. If anyone has any ideas what it is and what color it should be, let me know. Thank you!

KC-135RCockpitPreliminaryPainting.jpg

Here's another view of the cockpit area, different view.

KC-135RCockpitPreliminaryPaintingIII.jpg

And one last view looking at the flight engineer's station.

KC-135RCockpitPreliminaryPaintingII.jpg

I also managed to get the lower wings assembled to the center section using the Maj. Chuck Davenport method. Instead of brass tube, however, I used sections of household electrical wire cut to length. It's sturdy, small in diameter, and should do the trick nicely. It was attached to the lower wings using Kwik Plastic two part epoxy.

KC-135RLowerWingsJoined.jpg

As you can see from the picture above, the flaps have all been removed from the lower wing surfaces, same goes for the upper wing surfaces. This was accomplished using a curved metal pick and drawing it through the joints repeatedly until the plastic was able to be removed. The biggest drawback of the plastic on the wings (very soft and pliable) actually helped here. It made it easier to remove the flaps by allowing me to score the plastic along the hinge lines and just flex the plastic until it came free. Here are the flaps waiting to be worked over to their final configuration. As you can see, I have labelled each flap's position on the flap so I don't forget where it goes.

KC-135RFlapsAssembled.jpg

The last two pictures deal with the business end of the Stratotanker. The back side.

Below you can see the APU is all painted up, as is the cargo floor.

KC-135RAPUPainted.jpg

Everything will get a gloss coat and a wash once final painting and decals are done on the inside.

I also started to paint the Boomer's pod. I'll be doing some additional detailing down here as well by putting the chin rest in, as well as the main panel and some ducting and cabling. Hopefully I can do the office justice.

KC-135RBoomersPod.jpg

And that takes us up to where I'm at today. Work will continue on the interior with further detailing and once I get the photo etch set (I'll also probably break down and get the True Details interior set with the galley and A/C duct). I will also need to order some additional SMD LED's for the interior and get those soldered up as well. I have a friend of mine programming up the Arduino board that will control the lights. I'm to the point now where I need to start getting the wiring and lights done on the interior so I can get the wires routed appropriately, so that work will commence soon as well.

Hope you enjoyed the updates. As always, if you have any comments or suggestions on how to make it better, let me know!

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me how the sequence of lights would go on the 135R. For instance, are the interior lights turned on first, then the nav lights/strobes, then the exterior lights, then the taxi/landing lights? Aside from the taxi/landing lights, when do the exterior lights come on? Also, if anyone knows the approximate time between each set of lights coming on, that would be helpful as well. I'll get more progress pics posted this weekend, so stay tuned!

Justin

Justin,

Your tanker looks great. Almost better than the real ones. FYI, the yellow scope on the Nav table should be black. We don't have FE's on the 135. Thats a 707 thing.

The lights are turned on/off at different parts of the aircraft. As soon as power is applied, the Nav lights (wingtips) are on and set to blink. Same goes for the two amber and white position lights in the tail. They blink in opposite sequence of each other. All interior lights are on also unless it's daytime. The cargo compartment only has white lights, but the flight deck has white and red for day/night lighting.

By this time in the Pre-Flight the Boom Operator has gone back to the boom pod, and turns on the underbody and underwing lights.

At engine start, the upper strobe is turned on.

At the ready for taxi, the Nose Gear Taxi Light comes on, along with the wing-mounted Taxi Lights (they are combined with the Landing Lights in wings) and the Nacelle Lights.

Hope that help you out.

-Jeff

Justin,

Your tanker looks great. Almost better than the real ones. FYI, the yellow scope on the Nav table should be black. We don't have FE's on the 135. Thats a 707 thing.

The lights are turned on/off at different parts of the aircraft. As soon as power is applied, the Nav lights (wingtips) are on and set to blink. Same goes for the two amber and white position lights in the tail. They blink in opposite sequence of each other. All interior lights are on also unless it's daytime. The cargo compartment only has white lights, but the flight deck has white and red for day/night lighting.

By this time in the Pre-Flight the Boom Operator has gone back to the boom pod, and turns on the underbody and underwing lights.

At engine start, the upper strobe is turned on.

At the ready for taxi, the Nose Gear Taxi Light comes on, along with the wing-mounted Taxi Lights (they are combined with the Landing Lights in wings) and the Nacelle Lights.

Hope that help you out.

-Jeff

Thanks much for the compliments and information, Jeff! I greatly appreciate it. I'll make the adjustment to the scope on the Nav table in the cockpit as well. I'm very happy with how it's turning out so far, hopefully it won't disappoint.

Justin

I was going to ask about that yellow radar, thought you might have a photo ref.

There was one of the VIP -135's that in place of a blank panel above and to the left of the nav scope there was a rheostat and a voltmeter type indicator. Engraved above the dial was "WARP SPEED INDICATOR" The rheostat made the indicator go from slow to fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Calling jminer!!! You still out there? How's the build going?

Hello All,

Unfortunately, I have not had time to work on anything due to the passing of my father-in-law two weeks ago today. While he had been fighting cancer for the past three years, it was unexpected as it was a heart attack that took him. We have been dealing with his loss and only this past weekend have I felt good enough to get some progress done. We will miss him greatly.

And now, on to the progress.

I had originally wanted to purchase the Airwaves photoetch set, however, the store I was going to purchase it from (modelhobbies.uk) didn't have it in stock, so I decided to press on without it. I finished painting the seat cushions (what else, Husker Red) and added foil belts for effect. I know not much is going to be seen here after it gets all buttoned up, but I do like what I've done. I've also nixed the idea of using fiber optics for the instrument panel for that reason as well and just went with the kit decal with some added color to it. I gave everything a coat of Future and then washed it with some of Phil Flory's product. I'm still doing a little bit of detailed cleanup in the area, but overall, I think it looks pretty good. I also created the grate over the crew access hole using a combination of foil and strip styrene.

KC-135RCockpitLeftSideCrewAccessArea.jpg

KC-135RCockpitLeftSideFronttoBack.jpg

KC-135RCockpitFrontView.jpg

KC-135RCockpitDetailLeftSide.jpg

So that's where I'm at today. Hopefully you enjoy the update, and as always, if you have any suggestions, please let me know. I'll post more updates as the work continues. Thank you.

Justin

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. My condolences to you and your family.

Great work on the cockpit. It's looking real good.

That is sad news and my thoughts are with you and your family. The work on the tanker is progressing nicely. Staying tuned.

Thank you for your condolences and thoughts as well as the nice comments on the build.

This next question is for anyone who would happen to have some decent photos of the emergency exit markings on the exterior of the doors and fuselage (where the markings are the corners of a square and inside it says something like "cut here for rescue") as well as some of the writing on the engine cowls. There also appears to be some sort of text on the base of the rudder. I'd like to include some of those markings if I could, so if you have any photos to share or at least know what's on there, please let me know. Thank you!

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Question for the tanker experts:

The upper and lower strobes on the fuselage...I've determined that the upper is red, but all the pictures and videos I've looked at appear the bottom strobe is clear. Is that correct, or is it red as well?

I should have some pictures up yet today. All but the upper and lower strobe lights and tail lights have been wired up and I have the fuselage mocked up. I've got a little bit of tweaking to do with how the wires are running inside the fuselage, but other than that, it's pretty cool seeing all of the lights on this monster. I'm also working on the wing taxi/landing light area right now and hope to have that finished up tomorrow as well. Once the wiring is completed, I can get back to construction and finish up the interior.

Justin

Hi Justin,

I'm following your work closely. I have this built in project since I flew her for six years in the french Air Force. The main issue that's stop me are the CFM which are not really good at all. Well to answer you, on the french Tanker we had two switches: one for the upper and one for the lower strobe. And for each one we had the possibility to select red or white color. So you can have a mix red/white or all white/red. To be confirmed with the US version.

Cheers

Eric

Edited by Eric F

Hi Justin,

I'm following your work closely. I have this built in project since I flew her for six years in the french Air Force. The main issue that's stop me are the CFM which are not really good at all. Well to answer you, on the french Tanker we had two switches: one for the upper and one for the lower strobe. And for each one we had the possibility to select red or white color. So you can have a mix red/white or all white/red. To be confirmed with the US version.

Cheers

Eric

Justin,

Eric answered your question for USAF tankers also. We can mix the colors as needed.

Looking forward to some current photos.

Jeff

Awesome, thank you, gentlemen!

Also, Eric, when you were flying tankers? I was over at Istres back in the mid-90's to support Operation Deliberate Force for a week while we were waiting for our orders to complete to head on to Aviano (I was Security Police/Security Forces, but our tankers were based there for a while). Spent two days driving the Mediterranean coastline and spent the night in Monte Carlo. I almost hate to admit that I was getting paid for it. Anyway, thanks again for the information, and the photos are coming soon!

Justin

Awesome, thank you, gentlemen!

Also, Eric, when you were flying tankers? I was over at Istres back in the mid-90's to support Operation Deliberate Force for a week while we were waiting for our orders to complete to head on to Aviano (I was Security Police/Security Forces, but our tankers were based there for a while). Spent two days driving the Mediterranean coastline and spent the night in Monte Carlo. I almost hate to admit that I was getting paid for it. Anyway, thanks again for the information, and the photos are coming soon!

Justin

Excellent!

I'd been there betweeen 1999 and 2005.

The rest on PM?

Alright everyone,

As promised, here are some update pictures. Unfortunately, there isn't much to show construction-wise since I've been doing the LED's. Below you'll see the fruits of that labor. The plan now is to insulate the connections since I'm using aluminum foil for the interior sides and then apply the foil. Once that's done, I can complete the rest of the interior including the seats, A/C ducting, and interior markings.

The APU exhaust needs some adjustment to get the interior to fit correctly, so I'll have to adjust that as well. Other than that, it should be pretty straightforward construction for the interior.

I still need to work on the flaps, but thanks to a gentleman I found over on HS who did a nice E-6B a while back, I have a better idea of how I'm going to accomplish that and it's not as hard as I thought it would be. Stay tuned for that coming up.

So here are the photos:

These are the taxi/landing light housings I have built. I can see after putting the wings together that the rear wall sits too far back, so I'll have to make an adjustment there, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Part of the LEDs will stick through the holes to give the appearance of lenses.

KC-135RLandingLightHousings.jpg

Here's the left side wingtip nav light. I had to thin the plastic on the lower half of the wingtip as well as the plastic housing on the LED itself to get it to fit.

KC-135RLeftSideWingtipLight.jpg

And the same for the right side.

KC-135RRightWingtipLight.jpg

And a look at the inside and outside of the underwing lights on the engine nacelles.

KC-135RUnderwingLightInterior.jpg

KC-135RUnderwingLightExterior.jpgj

And here's a look at the inside with the nacelle light and cockpit area light on the right side showing the wiring routing to the (where else?) electrical rack on the right side to get it routed down below the cargo floor.

KC-135RInteriorWiringExample.jpg

KC-135RWithInterior.jpg

And finally, the two lights on the cargo door. Again, I'll have to insulate the connections and then apply the foil for the upper half to hide everything.

KC-135RCargoDoorLights.jpg

I'm going to connect everything up via a printed circuit board I picked up at Radio Shack. That will go in the belly of the plane just forward of the main landing gear area. Everything will be wired up there. The main positive and negative wires will be brought through the main landing gear area that will be disguised as a fuel hose coming from an underground hydrant on the tarmac.

KC-135RCircuitBoard.jpg

And that brings us up to where I'm at today. As always, if you have any suggestions or comments, please feel free. Hope you enjoyed the update.

Justin

Hahen Aircraft Accessories do a 1/72 Control surfaces and Engine set for the kit. Part # 72008.

I have built the KC135 already and plan on using this very nice resin set in my next KC135

Hello Greg,

I did see that resin set and it does look very nice. Unfortunately, I have to keep a budget for my project and with getting the Arduino board and LED's, I'll have to stick to scratchbuilding the flaps. Please keep me posted on the progress of your next 135 project, though! Thanks for the information.

Justin

Hahen Aircraft Accessories do a 1/72 Control surfaces and Engine set for the kit. Part # 72008.

I have built the KC135 already and plan on using this very nice resin set in my next KC135

Hi Greg,

I'm looking for cast CFM for years. Do you have any pics and where to find them? Perhaps via PM for not "poluting" Justin topic?

Thanks in advance

Eric

Hello everyone,

As promised to a few people, here are some photo updates of the Stratotanker. I got the interior blanketing done this morning and got it painted a little bit ago. It will get a coat of Future, some custom decals I made for some of the interior markings, and a wash to bring out the wrinkles, etc. The interior was done by adding a flat packing foam cut into strips and glued between the ribs, then using some 3M spray adhesive on the interior and on the back of aluminum foil, the foil was pressed into place and burnished on the ribs with a cotton swab. Paint was applied directly to the foil. Once the paint dries, I'll remove the liquid mask I applied to the LED's so the light can shine through. The foil also does a decent job of hiding the wiring. So without further delay, here are some photos of the end result of the foil with paint applied.

KC-135RInteriorFoilandPaintI.jpg

KC-135RInteriorFoilandPaintII.jpg

KC-135RInteriorFoilandPaintIII.jpg

KC-135RInteriorFoilandPaintIV.jpg

I like the effect, and I think it replicates the interior pretty well. I have some touch ups to do around the windows and doors, but all in all, I'm happy with how it turned out. Hope you enjoyed the update, and as always, if you have any suggestions or comments, please feel free to share.

Justin