Kinetic 1:48 E-2C Hawkeye

so, start the thread for my next DS build ... the kinetic hawkeye

img0851xd.jpg

.. belonging to VAW-126 Seahawks. Will build aircraft 601

162616_1.jpg

and a wider view of another plane..

162617_1.jpg

squadron specific decals will be custom provided by kursada.

aftermarket I have planned for this build include:

kinetic exterior photoetch set

quickboost intakes

quickboost propellers

wolfpack wingfold update

Edited by Benner

Don't forget to pick up a set of Steel Beach resin seats. It's about the only thing you can see in the cockpit, but they are a vast improvement over the kit parts.

thanks for the tip, I'll probably get that set now, wasn't sure how much is visible in there with this kit.

hey hey, what's this?!? Where's the Sukhoi mate???

but since its a Grumman bird, you'll be excused this time... but only this time ;)

Sukhoi? what Sukhoi? ;) .... at least it's not where the Alpha Jet went ...

• 2 weeks later...

DMolds has a wing fairing correction set you might want to look at. Here is the link. I will definitely be watching this build.

Dave Fassett

ordered, thanks :)

here's how it is now...

img0864bm.jpg

cockpit isn't the greatest, but once it's all closed up you won't see much so I'm not too concerned about that. I was a bit disappointed when gluing the wings/ fins, etc together that I had to use more putty than I expected all along the trailing and leading edges. .. and the curvature of the fin to stabilizers aren't that good either.

Looks good so far. So when are we starting to design the decals? Looks like this might be in the paint shop in a couple of weeks.

... more like a couple a months to be honest, the resin seats I want are out of stock and the Dmold update has been paid for but I have no idea if it has been shipped.

just received this in the mail today ... Dmold E-2 Correction. It's a nice resin set, like the part especially that there is no resin block that has to be removed.

img0869ay.jpg

here it is glued in and with the wing dry-fitted.

img0870vw.jpg

radome is dry fitted, am putting this build away until I get the resin I need. Gotta await Spruebrothers to be restocked with steelbeach seats, and awaiting Luckymodel to be restocked with other resin. The luckymodel order was annoying as when I ordered the parts, they were in stock .. then they became "available" and I can't cancel the order.

img0904ue.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

... haven't made much progress as I await more aftermarket to come in; might have to start another build.

Anyway, here's a little comparison of wheels. Royale Resin E-2 wheels and kit wheels; the kit ones don't look that good. I'm glad Kinetic gave me a 1:48 E-2C, but I'm still disappointed by the quality of such a (relatively) new kit.

img0929i.jpg

... haven't made much progress as I await more aftermarket to come in; might have to start another build.

Anyway, here's a little comparison of wheels. Royale Resin E-2 wheels and kit wheels; the kit ones don't look that good. I'm glad Kinetic gave me a 1:48 E-2C, but I'm still disappointed by the quality of such a (relatively) new kit.

img0929i.jpg

Those kit wheels have some big issues. Navy tires are always kept at very high pressure and I don't think I've ever seen tires on carrier aircraft with any deformation. If those were on an actual aircraft, I think it would be pulled from service!