1/48 SR-71 Wheels

Hi all,

I have been looking at the wheels on the Testors SR-71 and I have read that the wheels on the kit are not very accurate. I do have the True Details wheels to jazz things up a bit but I have read that they are not much better...

What is wrong with the TD wheels? Wrong diameter, tread???

While we are talking about wheels, does anyone have dimensions and shapes of the SR-71 nose wheel well?

Thanks all,

I don't have any dimensions, but I've got some pretty good shots of the nose well on 961 at the Cosmosphere. I'm actually going to be there tomorrow...I'll see what I can do getting some shots on the tape measure in there.

David

From my measurements, it looks like it is 85 inches from front to back of the main rectangle of the wheel well (not including the bit that comes down with the nose gear), 29 inches deep at the front of the well, and about 28.5 inches from side to side (straight across, not including the slight curvature to the bottom of the bird). Here are the pics I shot yesterday:

Depth:

DSC_0931.jpg

DSC_0930.jpg

Witdh:

DSC_0932.jpg

Detail Shots:

Front:

DSC_0906.jpg

Left side 1:

DSC_0918.jpg

Left side 2:

DSC_0917.jpg

Left side 3:

DSC_0916.jpg

Hi all,

I have been looking at the wheels on the Testors SR-71 and I have read that the wheels on the kit are not very accurate. I do have the True Details wheels to jazz things up a bit but I have read that they are not much better...

What is wrong with the TD wheels? Wrong diameter, tread???

While we are talking about wheels, does anyone have dimensions and shapes of the SR-71 nose wheel well?

Thanks all,

Nimrod, I have just finished mastering wheels for the SR-71 in 48th. I spent several days measuring things on a real one and they are very accurate, right down to the BFG silvertown logo. The masters have been sent to Paul so you'll have to ask him when they are scheduled for release. You can hit him up on the company site.

Brian

Fisher Models

Thank you very much David! I really appreciate the effort you have gone to to get me those pictures and measurements. I'll try and return the favour one day :)

Brian,

Thanks for he info mate.

I had read that the fisher stuff wouldn't be out till early 2012. I'll drop Paul an email and see if the wheels you have mastered might be available soon, they would be fantastic!

Thanks again guys,

Thank you very much David! I really appreciate the effort you have gone to to get me those pictures and measurements. I'll try and return the favour one day :)

Brian,

Thanks for he info mate.

I had read that the fisher stuff wouldn't be out till early 2012. I'll drop Paul an email and see if the wheels you have mastered might be available soon, they would be fantastic!

Thanks again guys,

2012 is still the plan as far as I know, but since he has them it doesn't hurt to ask if they may be out sooner. They will be a huge improvement over the kit parts. Based on my research the kit wheels are slightly small in diameter. I don't have the TD set so I can't comment on them.