Contrails 1/144 P-8 Poseidon conversion for 737-800

Edit:

I didn't see it's about the conversion set, so my comment got irrelevant except that I don't see a wing mod in the set. As far as I know the P-8 has the 800 fuselage, but the 900's wing.

Edited by neu

I don't know if you've seen them yet, or if they will be helpful or not, but I did a walkaround of the P-8 that was at the Pax River aishow this year. You can find the photos here.

P-8 pics are at the bottom of the page.

HTH

-Dave

As noted all NG a/c have the same wing. The -900 wing is beefed up internally for higher gross weights. No external difference. The P-8 obviously has external mods, but the wing structure is the same. Note that the P-8 has raked wing tips like the 777-300ER and 767-400ER, not the blended winglets common on other 737s.

Chris,

I have this set and the draw decals. The tail section and wingtip conversion look pretty straight forward. The weapons bay looks like it'll be a bit of a pain, I'm probably going to leave it off any way as I cant find any pics of it and the kit part is completely devoid of detail. The Draw decals look fantastic though. You have just inspired me to actually start it so I'll post some progress shots as soon as i get into it.

Hope this helps.

edited because I am dumb, and didn't pay close enough attention to OP.

Edited by rustywelder

I don't know if you've seen them yet, or if they will be helpful or not, but I did a walkaround of the P-8 that was at the Pax River aishow this year. You can find the photos here.

HTH

-Dave

Great walk around Dave, it will come in handy when I start my Welsh Models P-8

Edited by Trojan Thunder

HTH

-Dave

Thanks Dave for sharing that great walkaround!

Edited by Kikiferret

I'm glad you guys found the walkaround useful. When I was taking the pictures, I was worried that someone else had already done the same thing and beat me to the punch. Of further interest at the show was the T-2 that the P-8 program used for additional testing. I did a walkaround of that too, which is on the same page.

-Dave

Dave,

Your pictures are awesome and have helped a ton so far on my current in-progress conversion. As stated before, the bay is devoid of any detail, so for me it was best left out. I don't know if I got a bad batch, but my conversion set is missing the tail tip, and most of the antennae look to not have been poured (not sure if that's how resin works) correctly. It's a good start though for a conversion, as the raked wingtips and tail provide some much needed detail work that is a little harder to scratch. The lumps and bumps should all be sanded to the correct shape, but that doesn't take much. For the price it is not bad, but I think I just got a bad batch. The Harpoons (I'm assuming that's what was supposed to be modeled) are missing rear fins, so if some from another 1/144th kit can be scrounged that would probably help. I'll post up pictures eventually, but I've only just started mine.

Paul

Paul,

How many Harpoons are you looking for? I know that Arii made a couple Weapons sets in 1/144. Set B had two Harpoons in it. OzMods also made some in resin, but they might be difficult to find. If you want to use AGM-84E SLAM's OzMods also makes those, and I see that Starfighter Decals has some right now for $3.00.

-Dave

Thanks for the info Dave! I may end up having to buy those once the model is finished. Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I was being needy regarding those, haha. I reread what I wrote and realized it could have been worded a little better. I just started doing 1/144 scale, and I just moved to Washington to be around the 737 a lot, so my first two 1/144 models of course had to be the 737 and P-8A. (Sorry, can't take pics while on the job!)

Paul

No no Paul, you didn't come across that way, I was just trying to help. That's cool that you get to work around what you model. I kinda do myself. I make rocket motors for all of the ACES II seats. Not that I really get to model what I make though!

The funny thing though is that I really don't even like the P-8, I just knew that it would probably be helpful to other people to have the pictures, and I was there with a camera and had time. I'm sure that some will take offence to this, but I really don't care for Boeing in general. It's kind of like a Ford vs. Chevy thing.

-Dave

To each his own, Dave haha. No offense taken. I just got lucky and I love my job. I'm definitely very grateful of the pictures. If I drove up to Boeing Field I could get some far away shots, or walk up next to the birds up there, but then I can't take pictures of any of it. I've derailed this long enough. Good luck on the modeling!

Paul

Not to thread jack, but does anyone have any pics of the weapons bay? I cant find any to save my life.

I believe (believe it or not) it's considered classified. They can put stuff in there they can't talk about.

Just thought I'd update you on my missing stuff and messed up molds from Contrails. They resent me everything to fix this, plus some other stuff to make up for it. These pieces all look much better and will be much easier to use. Pictures will be up soon, once I get some time this weekend.

Paul