Wolfpak Oct 2011 Release

Gents:

Here is the October release from Wolfpak:

Sheet 72-050

F-15A or TF-15A from Det. 1 of the 57 FWW at Luke AFB. These jets are in the early Air Superiority Blue scheme and the write-up features Loadouts that include the air-to-ground stores tested on these jets. A big thank you to the pilots assigned to Det. 1 for their assistance in the write-up.

A-7D - Oklahoma ANG

NA-1G – A spad in predominately Navy colors.

A-7D, 23rd TFW in a SEA wrap-around scheme.

KA-3B from VAQ-34. This aircraft flew with both the early and late style noses.

C-27J from he 179th at Mansfield, Ohio. Interestingly this aircraft is unique in having a mistake in the stylized Ohio flag used in the tailband which was corrected in subsequent aircraft from the unit.

Sheet 72-051

F-100D flown by Donald Kilgus and credited with a "probable" kill which would have been the first of the Vietnam War.

F-4D and F-4E flown by Steve Ritchie.

A-4E of VMA-121 based at Chu Lai in South Vietnam.

A-37B from England AFB the training site for South Vietnamese pilots.

KA-3B of VAH-4 in an experimental green cam scheme.

CH-53C, Knife 21 from the Kon Tang Island raid.

HH-21B from the Jungle School.

The sheets should be on sale in about one week.

Mark S.

SHT72-050ColorInstructions-2.jpg

SHT72-051ColorInstructions-2.jpg

Edited by Mark S.

OK, you guys have not gotten my serious interest as I once dwelled about four miles south of the trash dump at the south end of the runway in downtown Chu Lai! (if you'd call Fat City downtown!!)

I've been searching for decales of Chu Lai birds for eons. Especially MAG 10 and MAG 13 birds! Does this mean we might get a chance to buy a couple 1/48th sets in the future (yours are 1/72)? Also is there a chance that we might see some Phantoms out of Chu Lai? Remember that place was the second busiest airbase in SEA.

gary

Awesome. Will be putting in an order for 72-050 as soon as the buttons are active. I've noticed the H-53s lately. Maybe you can do one of the Marine CH-53Ds of HMH-463 in their ultimate low-viz FS16440 scheme in the near future?

Mark,

Finally, markings to put on my F-100D. Absolutely amazing that nobody had yet produced decals for the jet that almost certainly had the first U.S. kill of the Vietnam War. Good to see correct markings for Ritchie's F-4E get done too.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Nice sheets Mark, though I am a little confused :blink: Both F-4s are crewed by Ritchie and Debellevue from the same base in Thailand but the F-4E is dated July 1972 and F-4D is dated August 1972? Do the captions for one of those jets need fixing up?

Would the Steve Ritchie F-4D decals fit the Monogram kit?

http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/viet/mono72f4c.htm

eg, the green markings on the canopy railings, etc.

I have the kit but the decal sheet for Ritchie's 463 is terrible (actually all early Monogram kits seem to have issues..too glossy & leave a milky appearance) . I personally feel that for 'Nam era C/D/J Phantoms, Monogram is better than the Hasegawa kits.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Edited by JackMan

Nice sheets Mark, though I am a little confused :blink: Both F-4s are crewed by Ritchie and Debellevue from the same base in Thailand but the F-4E is dated July 1972 and F-4D is dated August 1972? Do the captions for one of those jets need fixing up?

Ritchie used three different jets to get his five kills between May 5th and August 28th. He got his first and fifth using the F-4D above and his third and fourth on the F-4E covered on that sheet. It was the same for DeBellevue; he was on leave when Ritchie got his second kill (in F-4D 65-0801); when Debellevue got his fifth and sixth kills it was with another pilot (Capt John Madden), in a third jet (F-4D 66-0267) in September.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

JackMan:

The canopy rail decals are purposely long so you need to trim them for the Monogram kit. I try to design the decals to work on most kits. The exception is the ESCI RF-4C kit which has a tail larger than any other Phantom kit in 1/72 scale.

Murph:

Thanks for posting the sequence of the kills and the jets. I personally find it interesting that the crews were rated in both versions of the Phantom.

Anyone else out there besides ChessireCat that would like more Chu Lai jets?

Best Regards,

Mark S.

Wolfpak Decals

I'd be in for more Chu Lai jets for sure

I do have a question about that Skyhawk though,,,,,is that some sort of "jet in transition" going from the Navy to the Marines?

I know that quite a few times there are pics of jets being transferred and used on missions before a full repaint to the correct squadron codes,,,,,is this one of those times?

if it is, that adds interest to a shelf full of "correct" aircraft, with that NP code instead of VK,,,,,,there are also quite a few shots of Green Knights without the green markings, so nothing would surprise me

Rex:

The "NP" on the instruction sheet should be "VK." It's correct on the decal sheet but in using previous instruction sheet artwork to draw up this one I forgot to change the tail code. Thanks for the catch. BTW the correct artwork is now posted.

Mark S.

glad to have been of help in some small way

that makes it "4 options of interest" on the second sheet, for me

pretty good odds, I'd say

if you ever want to do any of those "half repaints" as an option on some sheet, those would be real conversation starters,,,,,too many "normal" models to go before those, though, I suppose

back to waiting for the buttons to go hot, lol

JackMan:

The canopy rail decals are purposely long so you need to trim them for the Monogram kit. I try to design the decals to work on most kits. The exception is the ESCI RF-4C kit which has a tail larger than any other Phantom kit in 1/72 scale.

Murph:

Thanks for posting the sequence of the kills and the jets. I personally find it interesting that the crews were rated in both versions of the Phantom.

Best Regards,

Mark S.

Wolfpak Decals

when I was down on Gator we used to make water and trash runs almost daily. So we also developed a PX route! Think it was five, but might have been four. Two we often visited were the MAG13 and MAG 10 PX's. Right beside the one with the striped awning (don't really remember the number) was a parking lot full of shot up aircraft from just about every carrier you could think of. We heard they patched them up and flew them out to a carrier that took them back to the states. There were A7's, F8's, A6's, A4's, Phantoms, and just about one of everything that went north of the 20th parallel! By the time I arrived (12/7/67)it was pretty much all Marine jets with a few Airforce props here and there (they had the best mess hall in Chu Lai till Tet 68). Chu Lai was a very very busy place in 1968. Between planes doing a turn around from missions north of the DMZ, and planes getting ready for their missions 24/7.

You might want to give a serious look at decales for some of the aircraft used by SOG's Bright Light missions, and a couple other very dark missions over there. Some of them flew out of Da Nang. Also there were daily flights of OV1's comming out of Chu Lai or Da Nang (by then I was planted on the Lao border). Used to see them daily doing their recon runs up the trail.

By the way it's be nice to get a new quality decales set for some of Robin Olds planes again

gary

I'd be in for more Chu Lai jets for sure

I do have a question about that Skyhawk though,,,,,is that some sort of "jet in transition" going from the Navy to the Marines?

I know that quite a few times there are pics of jets being transferred and used on missions before a full repaint to the correct squadron codes,,,,,is this one of those times?

if it is, that adds interest to a shelf full of "correct" aircraft, with that NP code instead of VK,,,,,,there are also quite a few shots of Green Knights without the green markings, so nothing would surprise me

that's pretty much the way they looked comming outta Chu Lai. The only real difference was that they'd have so much iron hanging under them that it took them forever to get off the ground on their trip north. There was one group we'd often see that had black knight emblems painted on their tails

gary

Edited by ChesshireCat

JackMan:

Murph:

Best Regards,

Mark S.

Wolfpak Decals

In the Robin Olds bio he speaks of flying F4c's and then when a new unit showed up flying F4d's, they took over their aircraft. Would love to see a decale set made for the F4d (have no idea what it was named).

gary

Edited by ChesshireCat

Are you referring to "Fighter Pilot: The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds" by chance?

Was a very good read for me. As I recall from reading that and a few other sources, Olds

named all of his birds "Scat (insert number)" for a friend of his from West Point who didn't make it into flight school.

Are you referring to "Fighter Pilot: The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds" by chance?

Was a very good read for me. As I recall from reading that and a few other sources, Olds

named all of his birds "Scat (insert number)" for a friend of his from West Point who didn't make it into flight school.

what we need is a full line of Robin Olds decales! I'd love to do a P38 amd a P51 as well as the others he flew. The book is an excellent read! Reading John Plaster's "SOG" right now, and this book will make your hair turn white!! "Neptunes Inferno" is next on the list for me.

gary