Best 1/72 Ki-43 and Ki-45 kits?

I decided to take a break from my usual civilian/NASA modern subjects and do a few WWII props in my preferred scale. It's a sort of modeling break to get the creative juices flowing. B) I would like to add a few Japanese props to my collection but I know zip about what is available. I tried a search on this forum but could not find any threads that gave recomendations. What is considered the best kits in 1/72 for a Ki-43 Oscar and a Ki-45 Nick? I came across some cool decals for captured warbirds and thought this might be a fun modeling subject.

Thanks!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

Realistically, Ki-45 in 1/72 could only be Hasegawa... there are older kits from Revel (see them on e-bay) but they go as "collectors items" and are exorbitantly expensive for what they are.

Ki-43 - that depends what version you are after.

Ki-43-I - the best kit would be Fujimi (IMHO)

Ki-43-II - there is an old Hase kit (raised panel lines) but not that bad+new SpecialHobby offerting

Ki-43-III - I guess you are looking again at SpecialHobby.

I might be forgetting something though..

Re Ki 43s, There is a II-Kai and III-Ko from AML, nice enough at fairly standard short-run quality. Presumably pretty similar to Special Hobby but the latter may be slightly better, I haven't seen them.

I'd avoid the old Revell, the fuselage is far too fat, apart from anything else.

The nicest kit regardless of variant is the Fujimi, but the Hasegawa is still quite nice.

Thanks guys!! :thumbsup: Being a jet guy, I had not apprciated the different versions of the Oscar. I just did some looking and it turns out that I need the Ki-43-II for the decals that I am looking at. So it looks like the general consensus is the new Special Hooby kit is the way to go especially in light of finding an older Hasegawa kit? I would really like a decent kit and don't mind paying a little extra for accuracy and (hopefully) fit! I have a few Special Hooby kits under my belt and am pretty happy with them so far.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

The old Hasegawa Ki-43 is actually quite nice, with crisp moldings with good fit..and it can be often be found fairly cheap. As mentioned above, the kit has raised panel lines, buth they're quite fine. It also doesn't have much of a cockpit..but you can't really see much once the fuselage is together and the canopy on anyway.

As for the Ki-45, Hasegawa is really the only way to go. Revell/Takara released one back in the 70s, but it's been out of production for decades and is more of a collector's item now. I've built it, and although it was a superb kit in its day, the Hasegawa "Nick" is far better.

SN

I'd have to agree with Steve, the Hasegawa kit is cheap and really quite nice for its age. the fit isnt bad at all, and the really fine raised panel lines look very 'realistic'. I also prefer the three bladed prop, makes the A/C look much better! The worst part of the kit is the (very) slightly clunky landing gear. Everything else looks proportionate and fine. Good luck!

Cosign with the others. The old Hasegawa Hayabusa is still very good. Despite having raised panel lines, these panel lines are very fine & the overall fit of the kit is very good.

As for the Toryu, yes, Hasegawa is the way to go.

BUT...if you happen to chance upon the old Takara/Revell Ki-45, do grab it. The canvas part of the rudder/ailerons/elevators are very realistic done & very much more detailed than the Hasegawa kit. And for a kit of it's age, it has very nice recessed rivets. Yup, rivets & not mere panel lines. Test fitting the fuselage also indicates a good fit. I feel that the overall exterior details of the Takara/Revell is much better than the Hase kit. And given the age of the kit, that's pretty amazing.

As mentioned above, the old Revell Ki-45 isn't terrible, just not quite up to modern standards. I built one some years back, and it does go together well.

Here's my effort..markings are all from the spares bin or masked and sprayed. You can see the fine engraved rivets..the surface detail is actually very nice (although to me the fabric texture is overstated, particularly for 1/72.) Where it falls down is in the smaller detail parts, which aren't nearly as crisp as the Hasegawa kit.

SN

100_2076.jpg

100_2077.jpg

100_2078.jpg

Edited by Steve N