Hey all,

Looking for some help here on photo references. I've scoured the internet and found pictures of what it looks like with the wing folded up to access the engines. However, these pictures are all too small of a resolution to really see much of anything. I know where the break is where the wing folds, but I have no idea on how it stays open. Does anyone have up-close pictures of the inside to show the structure and internal workins? I'm looking for as many good shots as I can so I can build one with the wing up.

Thanks,

David

As you probably know, the outer wing & nacelle swing about the joint on a row of attachment points... It's held in place by a bar which connects between centre of the outer wing panel & the top of the fixed part of the fin (just forward of the pivot point).

The SR-71 on display at Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum (61-7971) is / was on display with it's nacelle open, here are some pics of it & some others - the NASA LASRE one probably being the best;

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Edited by Air-Craft

Sorry for that off-topic post, but I was wondering about the white markings on the tail of 971 in the 5th picture. Did it ever fly with the white markings? All I've seen so far was the red markings on the tail.

Edited by Lancer512

Sorry for that off-topic post, but I was wondering about the white markings on the tail of 971 in the 5th picture. Did it ever fly with the white markings? All I've seen so far was the red markings on the tail.

As far as I know 61-7971 originally had white markings, but the entire fleet was changed to a low visibility scheme at some point in the 80's, with the insignia & "US Air Force" markings removed & the tail numbers changed to red. The same aircraft was also one of the ones that were "reactivated" in 1995, before being passed to NASA (although not being used).

When it was reactivated it had red marking the same style as the white ones it currently has, but with the addition of tail-stripe. Weather they were changed back to white at NASA or for display at Evergreen I really don't know.

Edited by Air-Craft