help with f-16 paints

I'm really not sure where to post this but since this is the tips and tricks section, might as well post this here since it's about paints...

I'm trying to build this http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/portland/971/Reviews/70s/f-16-rnlaf-tiger.htm and I need help on getting the right paints on it, I already got a bunch of replies from a local hobby site in our area and I would like to ask some tips here on what paints to use... sadly I only have access to tamiya paints on my LHS and gunze through my friend who has a friend who can ship them to me... I would rather use tamiya paints since I don't have to wait for the shipping and am willing to mix tamiya paints but if it sacrifices accuracy, might as well wait for gunze paints since I plan to build more f-16's, f-15's and f-14's in the future so stocking on needed paint is what I'm going to do... I'm really new to the hobby so be kind hehehehe

If you really want to be so strict on matching the colour, forget using Tamiya. There's no way you can mix up Tamiya paints to match FS36375 (Light Ghost Gray)... without killing yourself from frustration, that is! :whistle:

Can you get LifeColor at all? How about Model Master enamels? Or Vallejo?

Hope you don't mind if I tag a question onto your topic but I am also into an F-16 project.

So you guys find the Model Master -375 and -118 greys to be a good match? Any mixing necessary to the original colors?

Also, I have decal sheets from Astra, and their paint guide lists the lighter of the greys as FS 36270, meduim grey. That seems way off to me, as I agree with -375. I just wanted to see if anyone thought their guides were more accurate than either the guide that came with the kit or my judge of color.

Thanks!!

Also, I have decal sheets from Astra, and their paint guide lists the lighter of the greys as FS 36270, meduim grey. That seems way off to me, as I agree with -375. I just wanted to see if anyone thought their guides were more accurate than either the guide that came with the kit or my judge of color.

Thanks!!

Having seen a few F-16s up close at Avalon Air Show recently, they're definitely FS36375 for the light gray and FS36118 for the dark gray.

Having seen a few F-16s up close at Avalon Air Show recently, they're definitely FS36375 for the light gray and FS36118 for the dark gray.

State side Vipers got rid of the 36375 long time ago.

Overseas birds must have retained that color.

State side Vipers got rid of the 36375 long time ago.

Overseas birds must have retained that color.

Would you lighten up the -270, then, or spray it thinned over a lighter colored primer? Straight out of the bottle it looks too dark compared to the photos I have, which are of Aviano vipers in the late '90s. I believe it is -270, as research confirms, but maybe it is faded due to age? I want to get it right, but to look at photos the color looks so much closer to -375 than -270, if it were out of the bottle. This is the first F-16 I have really put effort into (I built one when I was little) and I want to make it right!

• 4 weeks later...