Hi modelers!

I've decided to enter my newly acquired Roden Heinkel. I've heard a lot of bad things about this kit. However, I'm a sucker for challenges, and I really like the subject. The early He-111s have beautiful elliptical wings and this one has a nice paint scheme too.

I'm working on the Bristol 138 A which will take preference. However, I'll try to squeeze in as much time as possible into this build. I may not finish by the December 31 deadline, but I will do my best.

So without further ado, the boxart:

IMG_1465.jpg

Some of the major parts after a bit of cleanup:

IMG_1469.jpg

The detail is quite soft, but so is the plastic. I may re-scribe the fuselage as the detail is very fine and won't survive sanding or a few layers of paint. There was a lot of thick flash and mold mis-match on the parts. I laugh in the face of Flash :taunt:

IMG_1475.jpg

The cockpit is a very rough job, OOB and completed in a few hours. Not much will be visible through the canopy, so I decided not to bother with it too much.

In less than a day since opening the box, I've assembled the fuselage halves and nose cone. Since I'm borrowing my friend's camera, photos will be forthcoming.

Edited by Luno13

Please do! And don't forget to buy extra shares in Sandpaper stocks too!! :nanner:

IMG_1478.jpg

Here are some photos of the actual bird (collected from a Google search - all rights belong to image owners) :

HeinkelHe111C-01D-AQYFLeipzigoperatedbyDLHfrom1936to1940.jpg

ss184-12a.jpg

he111_d-aqyf.jpg

And a few of its relatives:

5978929399_0d84f9032a_b.jpg

5923586323_d98be5a92e_b.jpg

5924151330_759401f8bf_b.jpg

Note that the Leipzig had fabric covered wings with round wingtips. The Roden kit has metal wings and squared off wingtips of the bomber version! I hope to cut off the tips and replace with plastic card and fill all the rivets, etc.

I'm still trying to find out if the elevators were fabric covered or not...I'm going to guess that they were.

Edited by Luno13

'Yer a better man than I am, Gunga Din.'

Very impressive progress, Sir, and very impressive research, too. It will be nice to see this in civil guise.

If you have not seen this already, you might find this account of building the Roden Heinkel by a fellow ARC member worth a look:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=157281