Other than needing to graft 3/8" into the tailboom (and which end should it go at?), are there any pitballs or other hidden issues in the Revell 1/48 Hind?

Also, what all references do I need? A friend of mine wrote a novel where the good guys' ride is an ex-Kazakh Hind that was given to them as payment for PMC services, and I'm thinking to try to build it as that--which means if anybody made any proprietary mods to theirs, or if there are any references about upgraded/semi-Westernized Hinds, I'd appreciate help with where to look.

TIA!

I have only seen folks add it to the front of the tail boom. I have not looked into if this is correct not.

The kit doesn't have the Hind twist, but AFAIK no kit in 1/48 scale has this correct either.

Mi-24-Offset.jpg

You can also get the 4+ Publication book for free.

http://www.4pluspublications.com/files%5C4+_Publication_Mi-24.pdf

Another good reference book.

WWP Mi-24 Hind in Detail

I will defer to others as to the ex-Kazakh Hind features. The best option is too find some photo's if possible and build to those.

I 2nd Cobra Company resin.

HTH

It has always been the visual sense of the rotors intermeshing that is a problem. At first it was thought that the tail boom was too short and by adding a 3/8" plug behind the synch elevators the problem was corrected. I did this and it worked for me. Since then it has been pointed out, correctly, that the actual problem is the angle of the tail fin, it is not swept back properly. So you have two things wrong caused by one of them. If you fix the rotor problem by adding a plug you are still left with the incorrect fin angle. If you fix the fin angle then you fix both issues. Someone has to try the fin angle fix and let us all know how it works out.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

Good points, all--Chris, I'm half tempted based on your data to post something in Buy/Sell/Trade to ask if anybody with a Zvezda or one of the other better 1/48 Hinds might be open to casting a resin copy of just the fin/tailcone where I could whack the RM off at the last panel-line and graft the new one on as one piece without a lot of complicated multi-angle cuts.

Hmmm... sounds like an enterprising resin shop might be able to make a go of such a "correction part", maybe... the rub is the initial engineering.<br><br>Those CMK kits look like potential... especially with the Sharkmouth decal, as one was part of the Monster Hunter International Hind's custom paintjob.<br>

Edited by Diamondback Six

Good points, all--Chris, I'm half tempted based on your data to post something in Buy/Sell/Trade to ask if anybody with a Zvezda or one of the other better 1/48 Hinds might be open to casting a resin copy of just the fin/tailcone where I could whack the RM off at the last panel-line and graft the new one on as one piece without a lot of complicated multi-angle cuts.

Hmmm... sounds like an enterprising resin shop might be able to make a go of such a "correction part", maybe... the rub is the initial engineering.<br><br>Those CMK kits look like potential... especially with the Sharkmouth decal, as one was part of the Monster Hunter International Hind's custom paintjob.<br>

As a shortcut solution that is an obvious track. The critical thing is to find out if any of the other kits are tooled closely enough to the R/M kit profile for the idea to work. I don't have any other maker's kits on hand so maybe I'll see if I can find them. A past client has told me that one of the other existing kits is a profile copy of the R/M kit but things like panel lines were recessed instead of raised and other cosmetic things. Have to see.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

Just found out the other 1/48 scale Hind kit was a Trumpeter/Mini-Hobby kit. The consensus was it was a retool of the Revell/Monogram kit with the differences being external details. So if the overall length, shape and profile was unchanged there is nothing to be modified to exchange from one kit to the other.

Chris M