B-747s from Dragon

Dragon to release various versions of the B-747. Apparently in 1/144th scale. B-747 with SCA, Air Force One, Braniff Orange Pumpkin, and a JAL version. Also a 1/144 Air China B-747-400P.

Saw this notice at MM today. Thanks for the heads up. Gave a link to Cybermodeler's iHobby Expo 2011 report:

Scroll down the page to a photo of the model.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/special/ihe11.shtml

Best wishes,

Grant

Hi all,

just bought this model at UML for $388.00 hk dollars which is about $50.00 CND.

Cracked the box open, and I am very impressed.

Just to let everyone know this is a Kit, not a die-cast. Although the main fuselage (two pieces molded in white) comes prepainted with air china grey, it can be repainted. From the looks of it Dragon got the trailing edge in the correct position, and the nose is correct (unlike revell which needs extensive modifications).

The interior is very detailed. The seat bottoms are molded to the floor, and the back rest are molded separately. The overhead luggage compartments are molded separately too. As for the cockpit, the pilot and co-pilot seats, main control panels and the "Yoke" are also molded separately (perfect for lighting up the cockpit).

As for the engines, they are molded in separate pieces. the Fan Blades are see through. The wings are molded in Grey and the Corrogaurd is prepainted in silver (Again can be repainted). Looks like Dragon didn't make the wings too thick (like revell).

The kit can be built with the wheels retracted or extended, and it comes with a plastic and metal display stand. And another bonus that comes with the kit is a GSV (Ground Support Vehicle).

Overall I am very pleased with this kit. I can see someone super detailing this kit. Although there are some things missing ie: rear part (exhaust) of the plane has very toy like look (not as detailed as revell), and there are no panel lines for the fuselage.

Compared to Revell's A380 with interior (which i've built one already), Dragon's 747 is much better interms of details. I do not have Revell's 747 with interior so I can't compare the two. Maybe someone can comment on this.

I will post pics of the kit once i return to Canada.

THanks,

William

Hi,

I can offer some photos of the Dragon 1/144 747 kit. Can agree with the comments above - looks more accurate than the Revell 747-400 and quite similar to the Hasegawa 747 in some areas, such as how the center landing gear is installed. The engines are GE rather than PW as used on the Air China aircraft depicted. No window decals are provided.

Will be starting this very shortly and will post some progress pics when I can. Haven't decided on the livery yet but am considering Qantas Wunala Dreaming (Brasil Decals), Thai Retro livery (Two-Six Decals)and a few others...

If anyone would like photos of other parts of the kit, let me know and I will take some more photos.

Dennis (in Hong Kong)

1/144 box vs. Hasegawa 1/200 box

7E6W3998EDITED.jpg

Instructions and decals

7E6W3999EDITED.jpg

Fuselage havles

7E6W4002EDITED.jpg

Engines

7E6W4003EDITED.jpg

Wings etc...

7E6W4004EDITED.jpg

Main gear

7E6W4006EDITED.jpg

Clear parts

7E6W4007EDITED.jpg

Interior

7E6W4008EDITED.jpg

Airstairs, wheels and tailplane

7E6W4009EDITED.jpg

Hmmm... that makes me really doubt buying that kit. On one hand it looks like a very nice kit to build but on the other hand does it look so.... toy-like. Are the window holes in the transparent fuselage sections completely perforated like in the solid parts of the fuselage?

Wow looks like a nice kit! What are the holes in the wing and horizontal stabilizer for?

I believe they are to show off some internal structure details.

• 2 months later...