P-40N Canopy

The frame in the canopy that runs down the centre line , was that there on all P-40N canopies? The Eduard/Mauve kit doesn't have this framing on either the fixed rear part or the sliding section whereas other kits and pictures I've seen of real aircraft show this framing on both these canopy parts.

No Prob Cobrahistorian..New question re rear canopy portion. Are the hoop frames on just the inside, or outside too. Have seen some evidence that they are metal and on both sides. Saw other evidence that they may have been joins of two pieces of plexiglass. Could it be that there was a change in canopy framing somewhere along the line? Hal Sr

No Prob Cobrahistorian..New question re rear canopy portion. Are the hoop frames on just the inside, or outside too. Have seen some evidence that they are metal and on both sides. Saw other evidence that they may have been joins of two pieces of plexiglass. Could it be that there was a change in canopy framing somewhere along the line? Hal Sr

The hoops are on the outside as the triangle anchor plate is fastened on the outside of the lower canopy frame. Have you seen any inside the canopy Hal? If they are just thin straps on the outside to give a bit more rigidity to the canopy I don't see what structural advantage you would get from having them on the inside, but I might be wrong. Note the pictures of this warbird even has the foward strap removed.

Hillp403.jpeg

Hillp405.jpeg

Edited by Tbolt

The pic I published above seems to indicate frames on the inside. Not an easy thing to make out, but to my eye, the reflection over the hoops matches the glass, while the frames do not match the leading canopy edge frame. Anyone's guess. There were some other pics posted on HS, but the thread is now several pages back.. Here's one I found in my files where the frames appear to be onn the inside, but you may interpret it differently.Hal Sr

P-40N14thAF-color.jpg

Edited by Hal Marshman Sr