Rhino Modelworks is a fraud counterfeiter

I still maintain the best way for this issue to go away is for DMold to get their inventory up, make it way less of a snipe hunt to find the things and bring said inventory to the model show/contest scene to improve awareness of the brand.

The whole reason this problem exists is because there's a market not being satisfied.

Spongebob

I've bought DMold resin sets at shows here in Texas. I've also bought Rhino products off ebay a couple of times. The last time I bought from Rhino took a long time to receive and the shipping was excessive (his return address is Mansfield Tx, basically Ft. Worth)so I wrote him off. I compared the Rhino products to the DMold stes and they did look incredibly similar so I was suspisious. After reading this thread I now wonder if the guy I bought from at the shows was Miller selling counterfeit DMold products.

If Miller did in fact copy and sell counterfeited DMold products as DMold products, everyone who bought from him got ripped off.

Since we're heading into show season I think I'll keep an eye out for Mr. Miller or anyone selling DMold products at local shows. Our first show is is Louisiana in two weeks. I'll update my post if I see the guy.

I still maintain the best way for this issue to go away is for DMold to get their inventory up, make it way less of a snipe hunt to find the things and bring said inventory to the model show/contest scene to improve awareness of the brand.

The whole reason this problem exists is because there's a market not being satisfied.

Spongebob

Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. Nothing personal but I don't see that it's on DMold at all. Availability is NOT an excuse for theft. Again, I'm not saying one way or the other if this is indeed theft cause I don't have the parts in question. But to say that the victim of a crime is responsible is just wrong. That's just a sign of a mixed up world where it's the innocent person's responsiblilty to prevent dishonest people from doing bad things.

Bill

I've bought DMold resin sets at shows here in Texas. I've also bought Rhino products off ebay a couple of times. The last time I bought from Rhino took a long time to receive and the shipping was excessive (his return address is Mansfield Tx, basically Ft. Worth)so I wrote him off. I compared the Rhino products to the DMold stes and they did look incredibly similar so I was suspisious. After reading this thread I now wonder if the guy I bought from at the shows was Miller selling counterfeit DMold products.

If Miller did in fact copy and sell counterfeited DMold products as DMold products, everyone who bought from him got ripped off.

Since we're heading into show season I think I'll keep an eye out for Mr. Miller or anyone selling DMold products at local shows. Our first show is is Louisiana in two weeks. I'll update my post if I see the guy.

If this show guy happens to be selling 1/48 S-3 Viking Intake/Fans then YES it is Rhino, as he has copied MY work. The only seller who is authorized to sell them is Sierra Hotel Resin. A customer has bought a set from Ebay listing and did a one on one comp. which he found that even the fan is in the same position with exact surface marks. D-mold does not produce these. I have the masters-I made them. Wouldn't be surprised if he copies my A-10 sets next! Thanks for looking into this-don't get arrested!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I for one was about to order two or three sets of F-4 intakes for my Tamiya kits from this guys eBay sales. This thread is working, I will be either looking for D Molds, or wait for Two Mikes. Thanks everyone, one thing I dislike is a thief. And counterfeitting is stealing.

EDIT: Did misread the past few pages? Is Two Mikes about to release F-4 intakes, or was it an older post about F-15 intakes?

Edited by Scott Smith

This thread is working, I will be either looking for D Molds, or wait for Two Mikes.

I feel like I did my good deed for the day! This is much more rewarding than walking some ungrateful old lady across the street. :D

EDIT: Did misread the past few pages? Is Two Mikes about to release F-4 intakes, or was it an older post about F-15 intakes?

Two Mikes is releasing 1/32 F-15 intakes some time after the Nationals.

Sierra Hotel is releasing 1/32 F-4 intakes (both Tamiya and Revell) some time in the future (maybe?).

Thanks for the updates! I'm in no hurry, can't do any building until my garage project is done in another year or two. I just try to stay up on the market and buy the resin parts when I can find them. I found out the hard way if you put off buying these items, they might not be there tomorrow.

what kinda bothers me is that on one of the well known boards they gave this jerk high marks! (this guy also posts on ARC) Nobody questioned his reasoning for this, and I often wondered if D.R. had any idea about them being copies of somebody elses work.

gary

• 5 weeks later...

There are new details about a floating of this person on ebay.

Just about a month ago this person was presented on ebay as rhino_models http://myworld.ebay.com/rhino_models&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533

Can you find him under this name now?

In fact, after I sent him a couple of emails via ebay board he has never replied anything as usually and he has prefered simply to change his account on ebay again. This is

a regular practice of this person. But the worst that he continues to get some advertisement of the products stolen and pirated by him even on the main page of this website (yesterday's update on 1/32 Academy F-18D kit by Bryan Miller as an example).

Edited by Dimitri

Selling as rhino3401 with 100% rating. He also says in this auction that it's his own work, although I have a few and they look a LOT like the Cutting Edge ones. But he may have mastered those for Dave for all I know, so I'm not throwing any rocks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-32-F-15C-D-E-J-EAGLE-SEAMLESS-INTAKE-SET-for-Tamiya-/271056395209?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1c385bc9

Edited by Glen the Rotorhead
  • 1 month later...

Why dont you report him to FBI? It may look a little serious to you but actually it is very easy from the FBI website. All you need to do is to fill in an online form. Afterwards a prosecutor takes the case and get in contact with you for more details.

Chuck, as Paul Miller used your own photos, you can easily report him by calling the US Embassy in Ottawa. A US citizen named Michael Fuller tried to blackmail me by sending e-mails from a fake name about an issue a few years ago. He was not clever enough to use a different computer while doing this. So I identified him and immediately called the US Embassy. They put me thru the FBI agent. He was very kind and helpful.

Try it.

Batur

There are new details about a floating of this person on ebay.

Just about a month ago this person was presented on ebay as rhino_models http://myworld.ebay.com/rhino_models&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533

Can you find him under this name now?

In fact, after I sent him a couple of emails via ebay board he has never replied anything as usually and he has prefered simply to change his account on ebay again. This is

a regular practice of this person. But the worst that he continues to get some advertisement of the products stolen and pirated by him even on the main page of this website (yesterday's update on 1/32 Academy F-18D kit by Bryan Miller as an example).

I never get it in the middle of these things because I read these forums to have fun and enjoy what we do. I have a very stressful job so it is very relaxing for me to build models and learn things from other modelers on these forums. I don't look a the bad trader forum but someone on this site ripped me off and I took the time to see how it worked so I could report them. Then I start reading this controversy and quite frankly, I don't know what to think. But when my name gets brought up in this mess (see above) it kinda irks me to say the least. Let me start my explaining that I had bought a set of Seamless Suckers for my Hornet build and in all honesty, they sucked. I couldn't get them to fit no matter what I did, so I ended up using the kit intakes and putting covers on them. Later in the build, I see the Rhino stuff on ebay and I bought a set of the exhaust cans since the Aries cans I bought were too small.

Now, I had no idea this guy was "accused" of selling copies of other stuff. I don't get caught up in all the crud that unfortunately comes along with these forums. I don't put my comepleted models on this site to "advertise" for anyone. I just let people know what I did and used for my build. After all, isn't that what we come here for?

Secondly, I couldn't find any other burner cans that were available unless I wanted to spend a lot of money on some old OOP item that some ebayer was trying to make a small fortune on.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that it would have been nice to receive a courtesy PM letting me know there may be a problem with a product I'm using rather than throw my name out there as if I was helping this guy advertise possible pirated products. Seems to me that would have been the right thing to do.

Bryan

Edited by durangokid

I see he is now offering intakes for the F-18 E,F & G Super hornets. Who did he copy on these? I've done a Google search trying to find some, and only his show up.

Found a set...Superbugs models.

Edited by Scott Smith

I see he is now offering intakes for the F-18 E,F & G Super hornets. Who did he copy on these? I've done a Google search trying to find some, and only his show up.

Found a set...Superbugs models.

Those intakes have been out for while, before the SuperBug intakes. Anyway, I have the Rhino intakes and seeing their quality, and being familiar with the quality of the SuperBug/Golden Dragon/Buffmaster stuff, I'm very sure they couldn't be copies of anything that SuperBug makes.

Unfortunately this thread gives the implication that anything Rhino makes is a copy of someone else's stuff, which is clearly not true. A number of the items that they currently sell have never been done by anyone else, or in some cases Rhino did it first.

Edited by Dave Williams
SO who did he rip off with those new 1/48 Hornet intakes? Because I have not seen anyone release something like that.

Irrelevant...pitch forks, torches, tar, feathers and rope are ready! The mob will not be suppressed!

Why dont you report him to FBI? It may look a little serious to you but actually it is very easy from the FBI website. All you need to do is to fill in an online form. Afterwards a prosecutor takes the case and get in contact with you for more details.

Chuck, as Paul Miller used your own photos, you can easily report him by calling the US Embassy in Ottawa. A US citizen named Michael Fuller tried to blackmail me by sending e-mails from a fake name about an issue a few years ago. He was not clever enough to use a different computer while doing this. So I identified him and immediately called the US Embassy. They put me thru the FBI agent. He was very kind and helpful.

Try it.

Batur

I agree Batur.. :thumbsup: .

...... actually it is serious crime that this guy is committing. It is called ' Intellectual Property Crime' where pirated good are increasingly copied and marketed thru/via the Internet.

I would also say report it. You have the evidence .

• 2 months later...

Hey....look on the bright side.....here's a US manufacturer that's actually producing something, rather than moaning about all the problems and issues associated with products coming out of China. With the sad demise of the US modelling industry, that is a shadow of its former self, its good to see that someone is still doing well. I have bought several items from Rhino and have compared them (where they have a commonality) with other products, such as those from Cutting Edge and D-Mold. As far as I can ascertain they are not exact copies but do, i admit, have some similarities...other items are simply not available elsewhere so they are clearly original work. As another co-respondent has stated, its quite possible this Rhino outfit produced all of Cuttingedge's resin in the past. Since dave Klaus went 'semi dark' we will never know for sure. All I know is that I have had nothing but excellent service from Rhino, goods delivered in a timely fashion and in original packaging with instructions. This contrasts sharply with a certain individual who operates from central Europe and who is doing a roaring trade (with a mainly US based clientele) in ripped off Cutting Edge resin sets. These are sold with instructions but, rather mysteriously, without any of the original packaging that was a hallmark of the original Cutting Edge sets. I tried to ascertain the authenticity of one or two items that i was interested in, only to be told that the original packaging had previously been disposed of in the interests of space in his workshop/store. Given the premium prices that some (mainly US buyers, as I previously stated) were prepared to pay, I politely declined.....now where are my stones in this glasshouse ?

ADDENDUM: I've done a bit more research into this 'issue' today and I would just say, co-respondents need to be VERY careful about the manner in which they accuse this manufacturer of engaging in a counterfeit operation without 100% irrefutable evidence. A very well know and respected US modeller and manufacturer, posting on another website forum is quite adamant that the particular Rhino Modelworks air intakes set that is in his possession, and that were the subject of alleged counterfeiting, are NOTHING like the 'original' and are way better in every way. It's the same story on another modellers internet forum....more modellers countering the accusations, so it would appear that there is every possibility that 'someone' has got a grudge against Rhino and is trying to spread the word. Like I said previously, I have had nothing but a great experience in buying from this company - good communications, fast and secure delivery EVERY time and at a great price !.

Tigerfan112

Edited by Tigerfan112

All,

I have took the time and read all the posts in this thread. The reason is because I am needing a set of seamless intakes for my 1/48th scale F-4. It appears by the posts that opinions are split down the middle that Rhino's are copies of D-Molds. So I have two sets of these ordered from Dmitri at D-Molds and I plan on getting one set from Rhino. That way I can judge for myself if the Rhino product is really a copy of the D-Molds or not. I am still waiting on the D-Molds sets that I ordered earlier this month and I plan on ordering the Rhino set this weekend. I will probably get both orders the same day. I will update this post once I have had time to examine both sets side by side. Cheers!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)