Aircraft in Miniature 1/72nd scale Boeing 747-300 'KLM'

How do you mean?

I think he's refering to the blending of the engine pylon to the wing at the leading edge. I find it weird to because it differs from engine number 2, but looking at pictures of a real 747 it is spot on. I do wonder about the color. Is that right?

I think he's refering to the blending of the engine pylon to the wing at the leading edge. I find it weird to because it differs from engine number 2, but looking at pictures of a real 747 it is spot on. I do wonder about the color. Is that right?

Yes the outboard engines have a completely different join at the wing than the inboard engines. As to the colour, the upper part of the outboard pylon where it joins the wing is Boeing grey, whereas the remainder of the pylon is aluminium. This is not the case with the inboard pylons, which are aluminium throughout.

I used this picture of the bays to guide me on the internal colouring:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cathay-Pacific-Airways/Boeing-747-412%28BCF%29/2026634/M/

As you can see they are a sand colour in this photo, so that's the route I've gone down. I have seen other pictures where the bays are grey, but I think this adds a splash of colour to an otherwise fairly drab underside.

First up was masking the bay areas:

IMG_1093.jpg

Then the bays themselves were sprayed using Humbrol sand:

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

I've also scratch-built the doors using plastic card and Evergreen strip. Here is the fuselage gear doors in the process of being painted:

IMG_1097.jpg

And here are the finished doors ready for installation when needed:

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

The exterior of the doors are Dove Grey.

Now I can progress with getting the landing gear installed... I'll keep you posted.

Tom

Edited by TommyP

More progress on the undercarriage...

The nose wheel has been done. The etched brass that comes from the kit was easy to use and fitted really well. It definately enhances the look of the metal leg. Here is the nose gear with the wheels being test fitted:

IMG_1118.jpg

The main gear has lots of wiring etc, so these were used to represent this - Little Cars 0.2mm black wire and some old electrical cable:

IMG_1121.jpg

The etched brass retraction gear on the body undercarriage had some Evergreen strip added to reduce the 2D effect:

IMG_1106.jpg

Here are the body legs and struts in place before painting and addition of the pipe work:

IMG_1107.jpg

Some piping and outboard doors added:

IMG_1108.jpg

All doors attached:

IMG_1114.jpg

And finally, a test fit of the wheels:

IMG_1120.jpg

Next job will be the wing gear.

Tom

No, you are quite right and well spotted! It will need touching up.

Tom

Just to make sure you know, i'm just trying to help and not break you down. My skills are nowhere near yours, so i'm not trying to be a jerk.

Anyway, i just love your build. I'm currently sick so i'm not doing any moddeling, but i hope to start my first WIP here in a few day (1/144 A320 aer lingus). I also am concidering to show my latest build (AZ models 1/144 tu 134). I guess it's not all bad, so maybe i'll take some pictures later.

But, back on topic, great build. I want to do a 747 build of klm also, but i'll stick to 1/144 and a 747-200. Will be visiting my LHS tomorrow in hopes of finding the E4B kit (actually 4 kits).

Edited by streetstream

As you can see they are a sand colour in this photo, so that's the route I've gone down. I have seen other pictures where the bays are grey, but I think this adds a splash of colour to an otherwise fairly drab underside.

You're right and wrong. The LDG bays are grey or white. The sandish color is because of a corrosion inhibiting compound applied onto the grey. It is called Dinitrol or Cor-Ban. This is used everywhere in aviation. So you may have to look for a KLM LDG bay picture for the right color.

Edited by HFB-320 Hansa Jet

Just to make sure you know, i'm just trying to help and not break you down. My skills are nowhere near yours, so i'm not trying to be a jerk.

Anyway, i just love your build. I'm currently sick so i'm not doing any moddeling, but i hope to start my first WIP here in a few day (1/144 A320 aer lingus). I also am concidering to show my latest build (AZ models 1/144 tu 134). I guess it's not all bad, so maybe i'll take some pictures later.

But, back on topic, great build. I want to do a 747 build of klm also, but i'll stick to 1/144 and a 747-200. Will be visiting my LHS tomorrow in hopes of finding the E4B kit (actually 4 kits).

Don't worry about that, it's good to get feedback from people!

I'll lok forward to seeng your WIP, and even more so to a KLM 742.

Tom

Edited by TommyP

You're right and wrong. The LDG bays are grey or white. The sandish color is because of a corrosion inhibiting compound applied onto the grey. It is called Dinitrol or Cor-Ban. This is used everywhere in aviation. So you may have to look for a KLM LDG bay picture for the right color.

Ah that is interesting... well let's just say mine has plenty of corrosion proofing then :whistle:

I've been involved in the building of "1/1 scale" Boeing wide bodies for 25 years. (Mostly 747 & 777, with a little 767 & 787 thrown in once in a while). Every single one made in since I've been here has had white wheel wells. All the aluminum ones are sprayed with a coating of Dinol or CorBan in the wells. Depending on how heavily the application was sprayed, it may be anywhere from barely off-white to a sand or tan color. Gear door interior colors are white on the 747 may or may not be coated, depending on customer preference. Other wide body models have white interiors if the doors are made of metal, grey or white if composite. (Example, all the 777's gear doors are composite and all grey on the interior surface - except the flying doors on the MLG, which are white.)

Edited by Phrogger

I've got the majority of the landing gear done now, just a few more pipes to add here and there.

Here are the main undercarriage units at the start of the process, with the wheels being test fitted to make sure everything sat level:

IMG_1123.jpg

Here the legs have been cut to the correct height, and some initial pipe work added (I presume they are some form of break lines and hydraulics):

IMG_1124.jpg

These few show the legs and wheels painted and in situ:

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

I've also started to do a little weathering and add some grime to represent that seen on an inservice aircraft:

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

I've still got to add the brake equaliser pipework and add some more weathering. I'll add more pictures when this is complete.

Nearly there!

Very nice again! I like it when the body of the aircraft just has a bit of weathering. The wheels and belly may have more dirt, but the body should still look clean with only the typical places having a bit of dirt enhancing the realism of the model.

Keep up the great work!

Very nice again! I like it when the body of the aircraft just has a bit of weathering. The wheels and belly may have more dirt, but the body should still look clean with only the typical places having a bit of dirt enhancing the realism of the model.

Keep up the great work!

Agreed. I like the fuselage to be reasonably clean, but I don't mind a bit of dirt where it's usually found such as around moving parts etc.

I've been experimenting with some more weathering on the 747. I've had a look at quite a few pictures of KLM 747-300s and the amount of dirt does vary significantly from plane to plane.

One area where there is often grime is on the flaps and spoilers, so I've had a go at addng some of the dirt:

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

The underside behind the main landing gear bays is also streaked with grease, hydraulic and dirt:

IMG_1145.jpg

The APU area and rudder also seem to accumulate their fair share of grime and muck:

IMG_1143.jpg

The areas around the rain gutters, door sills and the rear cargo door are fairly dirty as well:

IMG_1147.jpg

I've also added rain streaks here and there on the fuselage.

I have used thinned Humrol Matt Black, German Camoflage Grey, Sand and Dark Brown to create the various streaks seen on the aircraft. Later in the week I'm hoping to finish off weathering the landing gear and engines.

I've completed the weathering to a standard I'm happy with. Streaks are often seen from the spoliers and flaps so I've added these to the tops of the wings:

S1030181.jpg

S1030180.jpg

I've also finished the APU and rudder area. They get seriously mucky on the 747:

S1030179.jpg

The final little pieces have been added such as lights (from LittleCars.com) and the aerials and drains which are found around the airframe. These were made from thin plastic card. I also added the four pitot heads on the forward fuselage...

And then she was done!

S1030182.jpg

Many people have asked about the size of this model throughout the build, and in the above photo I've put my phone and a tin of Humbrol paint to give an idea of the size.

And at £150 was it value for money? A resounding YES! I have enjoyed every second of this build, although it was one of the most challenging I've ever undertaken. When considering the amount of hours I've put in, I think it would work out as mere pennies per hour.

My hat goes off to Neil Guant at Aircraft in Miniature for producing kits like this... although Anigrand have now released a 1/72nd 747 it is not a patch on this kit (in my opinion) when it comes to accuracy and capturing 'the look' of the Queen of the Skies.

And would I build another one? Again, a resounding YES. I think a 747-400 conversion may well be tacked one day!

For those who are interested, there will be more pictures in The Display Case.

Tom

Edited by TommyP
  • 3 weeks later...

Fabulous!

But in my opinion the model would be better with clear cockpit windows, I think it's a must in this scale.

I don't see on the photos - are there windscreen wipers?

And thanks for the hint about Halford's - good to know they mix paints.

Fabulous!

But in my opinion the model would be better with clear cockpit windows, I think it's a must in this scale.

I don't see on the photos - are there windscreen wipers?

And thanks for the hint about Halford's - good to know they mix paints.

Thank you!

Yes now it's finished I must say I agree. If I was to do another (maybe a -400 or an -8 one day) then I will attempt to mold my own cockpit glazing and open up the cabin windows too.

And yes there are wipers - I added them from stretched sprue.

Tom