Aircraft in Miniature 1/72nd scale Boeing 747-300 'KLM'

Thanks Clive. Go on treat yourself... it's a long slog but certainly value for money considering the hours I've put in.

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!

I have one if your interested? Tom knows cause he keeps on at me building it

Hi Chris

which model do you have the 747-100/200 or the same as Tom the 747-300? and are you looking to get rid of yours then if so how much would you want for it? I must say the more I look the more tempting it is but I have only ever built one vacform model and that was the Nimrod in 1/72 scale not sure who's it was think it was a welsh kit but who know's.The 747-400 is my fav as I worked on them for seven years and I just think there the best looking.

Clive

Hi Chris

which model do you have the 747-100/200 or the same as Tom the 747-300? and are you looking to get rid of yours then if so how much would you want for it? I must say the more I look the more tempting it is but I have only ever built one vacform model and that was the Nimrod in 1/72 scale not sure who's it was think it was a welsh kit but who know's.The 747-400 is my fav as I worked on them for seven years and I just think there the best looking.

Clive

He has the same kit as me, the -300. You'd be able to convert it to a -400 using Aircraft in Miniature's -400 conversion pack. The only stumbling block would be the engines. If you fancied doing a BA -400 there has been a set of RB211's released but you'd need to remortgage your house to buy them. Saying that, the quality is out of this world though. I also know Draw Decal to 1/72nd decals too so there are options for the -400 out there.

A little more progress today...

As it was dry and sunny I managed to get the underside of the fuselage painted in Halford's Aluminium.

First up was plenty of tedious masking... Father Christmas eat your heart out!

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

When dry the masking was removed:

IMG_1053.jpg

Next up will be the application of the blue and white cheat-line, and when done I'll add some more pictures.

Tom

Ready for decals...

Over the last few nights I've managed to get the rest of the 747 fuselage painted.

After the underside of the fuselage was painted I masked everything up and painted the white areas, which were the tail and thin white stripe which separates the underside from the upper fuselage. When I'd done this, I masked the white areas before the application of the darker and thicker blue stripe and the lighter KLM blue:

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

I then went to Halfords and got the lighter KLM blue used in the early 1990's mixed up, as I couldn't find a realistic match from their range of car paints. I simply took in the decal sheet and asked them to match it - and I think they did a pretty good job:

IMG_1067.jpg

And here she is now... all painting done and ready for a mammoth decalling session:

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

I'll add a few more pictures as I progress with the decals.

Tom

Looking Great!

Makes me want to tackle this kit!

Many thanks... go on... treat yourself!

I've just got hold of the Anigrand VC-25 and I must say that the Aircraft in Miniature kit is far more accurate... to my eye anyway.

Another couple of productive evenings... the missus has a new DVD box set so I'm free to model until my heart is content... happy days!

It's taken two nights but the decals are now on. They went on beautifully, settled down without issues and look great. Draw Decals are highly recommended!

Here is the 747 as of this evening:

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

And some close-ups:

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

As you can see I've gone for PH-BUU 'Sir Frank Whittle', one of the last -306 Combis to be retired in 2003 (someone may correct me on that!)

I've also test fitted the body and nose gear, and thankfully everything sits level.

IMG_1077.jpg

They look a little stalky at the moment, but once brake lines, hydraulics, retraction gear and the doors are fitted she'll look ok. While I'm waiting for a warm and dry day to apply some laquer, I'm going to get cracking on the landing gear.

Tom

Thanks for all the positive feedback chaps! It certainly keeps me motivated...

Anyway, it's been dry and mild here in Kent today so I've got her laquered. Luckily the utility room is well ventilated, but a respirator is a must as Halford's laquer stinks!

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

Now it'll be cracking on with the gear, so I'll keep you posted.

Tom

Very, very impressive build. Can't see myself attempting a 1/72 747...

How much does a custom mixed Halfords spray can cost? How long does it take for each order to be processed?

Dennis

Thanks you Dennis.

If you go to the larger stores they do it there and then and it cost be £12.

It sure is a beauty Tom! Keep up the great work. One comment however. The engine intakes seem to be grey. However I am quite sure that these have never been painted, so the correct color should be aluminium. I am just talking about the inlet ring.

It sure is a beauty Tom! Keep up the great work. One comment however. The engine intakes seem to be grey. However I am quite sure that these have never been painted, so the correct color should be aluminium. I am just talking about the inlet ring.

Yes you are quite right about the inlets... I am going to be alcladding them at a later stage. I always wait until after the laquer is on as it can spoil the metallic effect.

Thanks,

Tom

That is stupendous and gorgeous all at the same time. Where the heck are you going to display/store it?

Kev

Thank you Kev.

At the moment it resides in our spare bedroom on the spare bed. How long my dear other half will allow it stay there remains to be seen. I think the long term solution will be hanging it from a ceiling... but I'll have to add a few RSJs first!

Now the painting is complete it's adding those little details. Before starting on the landing gear I decided I wanted to get the engines finished so I've painted the bullet dark burnt steel, the rear part of the engine cone burnt iron, along with the fans. The intakes were then painted a light grey, and the intake rings painted aluminium.

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

Tom