Airbrush pump on a budget

My 27 year old Badger pump is about on it's last breath of paint. It's time to start looking for a new one. I'm on a budget due to medical expenses but would like to be able to get a good one that has a pressure regulator. I was at Sears getting tires put on my wife's car when I noticed they were selling small electric pumps that are for emergency tire inflation. One of them was under $60.00! I was wondering if anyone has ever adapted one of these to airbrush use and if they are any good. Also, I would like to hear of other solutions or ideas that others have come up with. I would sure love to get one of those great Passche, Testor or Badger pumps as I do believe in supporting our local hobby shops and model products, but for now I need a less expensive option to brige me across the budget crunch. Any ideas?

Hello PG,

I don't think those little pumps can give a constant pressure, they tend to pump out the air in pulses.

I use something similar to the this compressor

Hope this helps. Good luck on your project.

I agree with CanadMoe, the little flat tire compressors don`t work very well at all. I use the exact compressor found in the link provide above. The only addition I would recomend is a water trap.

Rob

I've been using something like this for close to 2 years now, and still going strong. Never had any issues with it.

I have another one that looks almost identical to the one above, but with air tank, which I bought about 6 months ago as spare.

My suggestion is:

1. Go to this address and print the coupons.

2. Drive here: this is probably the closest Harbor Freight to you.

3. Buy this compressor for $49.95 using the coupon. You won't be disappointed.

That's the exact compressor I got at the Harbor Freight Tools store down the street. It's about as loud as a vacuum cleaner and takes about 2-3 minutes to get up to 100psi, but it works great.

Habor Freight has This also...It's almost identical to the one's Iwata has their name on nd sell for 179.00..It's ULTRA Quiet and performs very well ..I say it's perfect for Model building applications..

Edited by viper730

This is a pretty good deal. I'm thinking of buying this myself. My AC is old and I need an extra airbrush.

Kit

That sure looks like a great deal. Man,

I remember when buying a small compressor at the LHS would cost $200 - $300. Airbrushing was for the rich and famous back then.

Rob

I remember when buying a small compressor at the LHS would cost $200 - $300. Airbrushing was for the rich and famous back then.

That's still the case here in Oz. AC easily costs over AU$300 at LHS. That's why I never buy from LHS. eBay is my close friend... :whistle:

I also have this compressor from Harbor Freight. It's been going strong for 3-4 years.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-8-eighth-hp-40-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-93657.html

I bought an airbrush on ebay for around $20 and it works great. I would suggest it to anyone on a budget and I believe it would be much better than the Harbor Freight airbrushes. Here is a link to a similar one that's on ebay right now. Cheaper than what I payed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-3mm-Spray-DUAL-ACTION-Trigger-Airbrush-Gun-Nail-Art-Paint-Kit-/130590906030?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e67d316ae

Just my $.02 worth.