Revell 1/144 747 SCA with Enterprise

Draw decals new set for the Natural Metal SCA 905 is now available!

http://www.drawdecal.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=32095

Uh-oh. Thier store is closed down due to printing problems! Damn! :bandhead2: I hope they re-open because I just saw they have a sheet for the TWA B-17 in 1/48th scale. And now that I have seen this build I want the SCA decals too.

I hope they get the situation worked out.

Chappie

• 10 months later...

Thanks for the feedback. I thought I was the only modeller unable to use the included struts to get the Shuttle to firmly stand atop the 747. Revell did a poor job on that. My question is where do I buy the struts shown on the great photos?

Tonys' results are superb. I am a senior with no patience. I studied the actual SCA in person when it was here last year at JFK. Those struts are amazing but I am uncertain if they got glued to the SCA fuselage or if holes were drilled. Tony did you make the struts or purchase them? I have completed my model but the supplied struts are a joke. Didn't Revell test these before releasing? They do not support the Orbiter.

I see there are 2 different struts available from Muroc. Which do I need to securely attach the Shuttle atop the SCA? My kit is a newer version, not the AAL. Also, I have no experience with adapting models so I must know if the 2 rear struts are already built or must I do work on them? Is any drilling required into the fuselage? I have no tools. What glue is required? Is Testor's Plastic Model Cement OK? Thanks for helping.

I contacted Muroc for the replacement struts for the current SCA. Hope struts don't need any drilling to use as I have no tools. What kind of cement will hold struts firmly in place so Shuttle doesn't slip-off and break. Testors cement doesn't seem strong enougj. As of now, ugly rubber bands are holding the Shuttle in place.

Speedbird:

I would recommend CA glue which is more commonly known as Super Glue. The struts should be OK without any drilling but it might not hurt to sink a small brass pin in the stuts and drill a hole in the SCA to ensure strength throughout the years and to act as a possitive location point for the strut itself. Also resin is a lot more brittle than styrene and the added strength of brass pin might be a good idea.

You will need a couple of things in order to work with the resin struts. Reisn usually arrives on it's casting stubs so you will want a small razor saw to remove it with and a sharp #11 x-acto blade to clean up any flash that may be present. Then you will want to hit the cut end with some sand paper to clean it up.

Hope that helps a little.

Zach

You would need the latter set of struts and not the ALT version. The struts are cast in epoxy resin which requires CA glue (super glue), plastic model cement doesn't work with resin. They come unassembled but with templates showing where they are to be located. As long as the model is unpainted, the struts could be attached with CA glue or epoxy and would hold the model in place. It's recommended to add a small pin for added strength.

I see there are 2 different struts available from Muroc. Which do I need to securely attach the Shuttle atop the SCA? My kit is a newer version, not the AAL. Also, I have no experience with adapting models so I must know if the 2 rear struts are already built or must I do work on them? Is any drilling required into the fuselage? I have no tools. What glue is required? Is Testor's Plastic Model Cement OK? Thanks for helping.

I got no reply from Muroc about purchasing the struts for the SCA. Using Super Glue is no problem but drilling holes which probably would offer the best strength is not an option. Removing flash is no problem as well but it appears that the struts must be assembled by me; exactly how do I assemble? Is it complicated? Are tools needed? I am an amateur compared to you guys and I don't expect perfection, I just a stable model which doesn't slip and slide. I am still contemplating making my own struts but I am not so creative as you guys.

Muroc Models is a one-man operation and he has a regular, full-time job, so give him a day or two to get back to you. The struts come with easy to follow instructions and shouldn't be too difficult even for a first timer. Getting the MM set is far easier than making them from scratch.

I got no reply from Muroc about purchasing the struts for the SCA. Using Super Glue is no problem but drilling holes which probably would offer the best strength is not an option. Removing flash is no problem as well but it appears that the struts must be assembled by me; exactly how do I assemble? Is it complicated? Are tools needed? I am an amateur compared to you guys and I don't expect perfection, I just a stable model which doesn't slip and slide. I am still contemplating making my own struts but I am not so creative as you guys.

I am desperate for those struts to attach the Shuttle atop the SCA. I contacted Muroc a few days ago but got no response. Did they go out of business? What's surprising is that several posters here say they used the struts included as-is from the Revell kit and had no problems with the Shuttle falling-off. I tried to reinforce the original struts by placing thin metal rods against them but alas the Model Gods are against me and I missplaced the struts. I thought I placed them somewhere to dry but vanished. Right now, the Shuttle is attached with rubber bands!

I placed an order with Muroc last week and received the resin set yesterday. Very pleased with their communication and service.

While the Muroc set is far more detailed and accurate than the kit styrene parts, I have my doubts as to whether it is actually stronger or more rugged than styrene, especially in this application. These are display models, not toys. Set your expectations appropriately.

I'd also say there is at least as much modeling skill involved in working with resin parts as there is in drilling holes in styrene, as was mentioned to use metal rods to replace kit parts.

Speedbird2,

If I read your posts correctly, your problem is broken struts which should be easy to replace. If you have not found a replacement set of supports, I'd suggest making replacements from pieces of sprue. You should be able to find pieces of the appropriate diameter on the kit sprue, but you can raid other kits if you've thrown them out. With CA or a good liquid cement, I can't imagine that they wouldn't be strong enough to hold the orbiter.

Also, you might consider posting in the Tools & Tips section. You're likely to get a few more ideas there.

Edited by Mike W.