P-51D Mustang

Hello guys,

I am currently in the UK, with easy access to alclad and other sorts of metallizer paints. I have 2 1/32 Mustangs (1 dragon, 1 tamiya) back at home in Malaysia, and I'd like to buy some alclad to use on both. I'll have them both in bare metal, so what shades of alclad do you guys recommend, on which surfaces? What do you use?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Lim

Your basic aluminum. Can't you tint Alclad with enamel paints? The P-51 had some panel variation in color, but not a lot is really visible in most photos. Don't forget the entire wing was painted aluminum. The panel around the exhaust stacks was stainless steel, and appeared a good bit darker than the aluminum elsewhere.

You can use almost any of the aluminum colors and some chrome (good for the landing gear oleos)

As stated, above, the wing was an aluminum paint and the stainless steel at the exhausts but all other surfaces were various -subtle- shades of bare metal. Certainly you may wish to try tinting, also use the other Alclad aluminum colors as well, for the variety you need for the specific aircraft you are modeling.

Don't forget any scratches, misfilled joins or dings will show up under the Alclad. I go so far as to polish the plastic before I put on a base coat smiley-chores032.gif (gloss black is most often used- but other, usually, dark colors have been known to effect the Alclad's tone if it is not applied too heavily.

So,good luck on your purchases and as was also stated, get as much Alclad as you are able, those little bottles seem to never last long