Italeri Western Star 1/24 with lights and sound

finished the model some time ago with some customization like adding the lights and diesel startup sound. work on the truck is 99% complete along with the stand, will work on the trailer once i decide which one to go with

and once im done with my airbus project.

well here she is

2011-10-23_18-42-55_226.jpg

i dont have too many recent pix, this is a pic of a truck on an almost finished but unpainted custom built stand

2011-10-22_19-18-20_93.jpg

2011-10-02_12-06-42_926.jpg

2011-10-02_17-06-27_759.jpg

2011-10-02_17-08-31_762.jpg

2011-10-02_17-07-28_789.jpg

2011-10-01_19-53-37_753.jpg

2011-10-01_19-45-04_28.jpg

video of the "start"

this is what it looks like on the shelf

2011-10-26_08-41-57_779.jpg

Edited by VMF

Dude, that's awesome.

I've been looking into trying a truck kit myself lately. (Masking aircraft canopies stresses me out.) Did you get the lights as a kit, or set it up yourself? Given the size of trucks I'd imagine lighting them is relatively easy, compared to a car at least...

thank you:)

yeah, lighting them is not too hard, but still took me around 2 month, working on it 2 full days a week on average. there is no kit to light em up, i just bought the power supply and all the leds from superbrightleds site

and tweaked them by filing etc to fit into the parts.

there are few things im not happy about, like messed up decal on the hood, twisted hood etc etc, but overall im happy with this build, learned a lot actually

here is the back view btw

IMG_20110720_234553.jpg

thank you very much:) now i just need to decide which trailer to go with

here are my options

rvl07540.jpg

or

99%200002628.jpg

im a bit scared of the tanker trailer.. im not confident i can paint such a big surface in the chrome or polished aluminum alklad colors

Edited by VMF

thank you very much:) now i just need to decide which trailer to go with

here are my options

rvl07540.jpg

or

99%200002628.jpg

im a bit scared of the tanker trailer.. im not confident i can paint such a big surface in the chrome or polished aluminum alklad colors

VMF.

Looking at your chocies I prefer the Car Transporter ONLY because it looks complicated and more detail on it...but that is ME... :rolleyes:

I am sue that once you choose Tanker trailer and begin to build it, I am certain that there are many guys here who will guide you and help you on how to paint the large surface with chrome etc...Go for it... :thumbsup:

don't let it defeat you...{Says I who is not the one building it..} :whistle:

Edited by HOLMES

actually i think the tanker might be harder do do, since im planning to light it up as well. but due to some restrictions in the design of the tank itself, i will most probably need to use SMDs .. and those are a pain to solder.

revell ranks both trailers is difficulty level 5 btw.

also what do u think about different scale, im not sure if its going to be noticeable or not

I'd go with the car transporter myself. Partly because of what Holmes said... (busier, more complicated looking, thus more impressive) but most importantly, because it would then be a great place to showcase a few car models as well.

actually i think the tanker might be harder do do, since im planning to light it up as well. but due to some restrictions in the design of the tank itself, i will most probably need to use SMDs .. and those are a pain to solder.

revell ranks both trailers is difficulty level 5 btw.

also what do u think about different scale, im not sure if its going to be noticeable or not

I don't think it would matter what scale the vehicles were becasue the transporetrs that I have seen on the freeway/Motorways ALWAYS look

HUGE compared to the cars/vehicle being carried on the ramps.

Is that what you meant VMF..

....or are you saying that you think the transporter should be largers scale than the one you have in your stash...if you do then you NEED to fill the ramps with different trucks, otherwise a lone truck on it will be dwarfed if they are on their own...

whatever you decide should make you happy...it will be on your shelf VMF....GOOD LUCK...

Great build. Where did you get the start up sounds and what did you use to play it with? Is there a kit that you bought for the sound effects? That with the lights makes a great display.

Thanks for posting.

Els

hey guys, thanks for nice replies. when it comes to scale , the truck itself is in 1:24 scale, so is the tanker trailer. the car transporter trailer however, is in 1:25 scale. so im worried that dimensionally it might be a bit narrower etc when put together with the truck..

i bought a little recording kit from radioshack for $10,it comes with the mic and can record up to 20 seconds of audio. extended the speaker wires, removed the turn on button from the board and added an on/off switch. i will mount the board and powersupply under the stand once the trailer is complete and the switches for lights and sound will be embedded onto the side of the stand. sound i found on youtube, played it loud, found the perfect volume for the recording and then voila!:)

the truck came to life. i have bunch of pictures of the WIP but i dunno if i should post them

• 2 weeks later...

Outstanding. Go with the tanker. Coat it with Alclad chrome silver. That would look awesome!

Why would you want to cover the factory chrome with the Alclad? This kit is completely Chromed.

Just wandering. I had one but never built it because it was worth too much.

The truck looks great! Keep it up.

Mike

Post them! I'd love to see them.

RYAN.

hopefully i'll have some time soon to post WIP pix, been really busy, having 2 jobs and all.

thanks for comments guys. your kind words to make me want to get back to the kit ASAP!:)

Why would you want to cover the factory chrome with the Alclad? This kit is completely Chromed.

Just wandering. I had one but never built it because it was worth too much.

The truck looks great! Keep it up.

Mike

the reason i want to repaint is my particular kit has imperefections on the paint, thats a first, and second i want to get rid of the seams after i glue the halves together.

also im planning to light this tanker up as well, that means certain modifications to the tank itself, which i will hide under the putty and paint:)

Edited by VMF