ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Jon Fitzgerald

Hobby Boss Mig-17 PF Fresco D

Hi All

Today I got Hobby Boss' 1/48 Mig-17 PF really cheap on a sale at a local model store.

I saw in a review on Aeroscale that the nose shape is mentioned as incorrect? Does anyone have any ideas or views on this, or could suggest some good reference images or drawings that show the correct shape? Apparently it's too flat or something?

Also if there are any other shape issues I'd be interested to hear. It was very cheap so I'm happy to chop it up and make changes if needs be. I'll get the Aires cockpit too.

Thanks guys!

Hi All

Today I got Hobby Boss' 1/48 Mig-17 PF really cheap on a sale at a local model store.

I saw in a review on Aeroscale that the nose shape is mentioned as incorrect? Does anyone have any ideas or views on this, or could suggest some good reference images or drawings that show the correct shape? Apparently it's too flat or something?

Also if there are any other shape issues I'd be interested to hear. It was very cheap so I'm happy to chop it up and make changes if needs be. I'll get the Aires cockpit too.

Thanks guys!

I recently built this kit it's posted in the Display case section, yes they say the nose is misshapen and I did use the Aires cockpit and eduard photo-etch because the pit wasn't that great, the only fit issue I had was the wings to the fusalage, it took a lot of putty and sanding and watch when you attach the canopy to the fusalage it gets in the way of the antenna,

p1.jpg

p1.jpg

p9.jpg

p10.jpg?t=1318124088p8.jpg

Edited by 71roadrunner426

No I didn't do anything to the nose, it didn't look all that bad so I left it alone. You might also would want to add some weight to the nose because if you don't it will be a tail sitter. I used fishing weights in behind the cockpit. and Thank You for the compliment on the build, hope this info helps, Rob.

Jon, I would suggest that if YOU can't see the (supposed) error in the nose shape, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Looks a LOT nicer than my Hobbycraft kit!

Hi Don

To be honest It's more of an issue of me knowing very little about this aircraft.

So I can't see it now because I don't know any better. If I had some comparison picture or feedback it would help me to make an 'informed' decision on what I'd like to do. :)

Hi again, I have a quick question. Has anyone worked with the old Smer kit?

I've done some research and it seems no one does an aftermarket replacement nose yet, however I was considering kit bashing the Smer parts. Would this work? Or am I better off attacking the nose with Milliput?

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated

Hi again, I have a quick question. Has anyone worked with the old Smer kit?

I've done some research and it seems no one does an aftermarket replacement nose yet, however I was considering kit bashing the Smer parts. Would this work? Or am I better off attacking the nose with Milliput?

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated

I had the Smer kit and dumped it as soon as the new Hobby Boss kits were released. I've heard it has shape issues and not a great fitting kit

Thanks, however I saw some discussion on aeroscale about the nose intake being a better shape?

I was considering using this part on the Hobby Boss kit.

I built the Smer/Heller kit years ago and honestly it looked like a Mig-17F. Maybe some guys will say that the nose is "a bit too flat" or "too short of 1.17 mm" but I didnt notice anything wrong with the F version and this kit left me with a pretty good impression. The engraved panel lines are a bit too deep and wide though.

For the PF nose, the HB seems more accurate: http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1261982025/Hobby+boss+mig-17

Antoine

Edited by toniosky

Thanks that's interesting, I thought that the smer nose was better received since it was rounder and more bulbous.

Thanks for the link also some interesting stuff. I'm suprised that while quickboost did a corrected ventral fin they ignored the nose...

I built the Smer/Heller kit years ago and honestly it looked like a Mig-17F. Maybe some guys will say that the nose is "a bit too flat" or "too short of 1.17 mm" but I didnt notice anything wrong with the F version and this kit left me with a pretty good impression. The engraved panel lines are a bit too deep and wide though.

For the PF nose, the Smer (edited, sorry I said HB instead of Smer :doh: ) seems more accurate: http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1261982025/Hobby+boss+mig-17

Antoine

Edited by toniosky