Hey guys hes my work in progress just pulled it back out so I can try to get a whole lot more done to it. Its been sitting for little over a year. It's gonna be out of box with minor scratch building. It will have a custom paint job on it though because noone makes the decals for this aircraft that im modeling it after. If anyone can guess which aircraft and squadron this bird is going to be, after the first pic feel free to comment. Here it goes be nice please I am still new to building this technical. JOSH

6313037810_d2b4b7ceaa.jpg

100_0931 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

Edited by Devilleader501

to post flickr pics, you need to:

view all sizes, select the size you want to share

when the image loads

right click copy image location

then to share here use the "insert image" icon

paste your image link, and you're all set

like so:

link should look like this:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6059/6313033912_a4a9a35090_z.jpg

with the link brackets

6313033912_a4a9a35090_z.jpg

to post flickr pics, you need to:

Or use Photo Bucket. Flickr sucks. It is easy to load from Photo Bucket. All you do is click on the IMG Code block (below the pic when you hover your curser over it) and it automatically copies it. Come back to your post here and paste it into the post. That's it, simple.

Your 53 is looking good so far. Keep up the good work.

Edited by HeavyArty

Right you are Tank. It's going to be #50 I have quite a few pics of that aircraft as its been here in my home town a few times. The squadron is located about 180 miles away frome me at Miramar In San Diego California. I had never seen a 53 with a painting on the tail before so when i saw this aircraft I had to build it. As for the pics not comming out ill have to work on it thank you for your help guys its very much apreciated.

The Warhorse color bird rocks!! :thumbsup:

I've been thinking about doing that one myself, along with the Tiger striped one, 361, I think. I got a bunch of pics of YJ 50 at an airshow a couple of years ago, before some of it's new additions.

Very nice work, please keep posting your pics.

mason

Looks like you're off to a really good start.

And fwiw, to get your images to post, you want to use the {img} and {/img} (change the { & } to [ & ]) tags instead of the html a href tags.

Edited by Adam Baker

Thank you sir for the pics. but thats the old bird. Thats the one I origionally wanted to do the model after man how times change. the new one doesnt have the WARHORSE on the nose and its Buno is 162501 now not 163072 like i remember. Its been a few years since ive seen the aircraft but thank you very much for the photos.

Doupnik you rule thank you for the pics. The tail is the only pics I havent been able to come up with. As for the model Im gonna do it in a different theme. Most everyone i have seen does them with the bird sitting on the ground and makes the rotor blades sag. Me on the other hand will do this model with the aircraft in motion, the blades will be lifted and the refeuiling boom will be extended because im hopping to have a C-130 wich i convert to a KC-130 soon to put in front of it. Both of these are going to my father. I am assuming you have all seen the EA-6B Prowler I have built it was all hand painted as well now i found out someone is making decals for the aircraft i built mine after but hey whats the fun in putting decals on something when you can paint it by hand. Updates will come soon because my dad is on my *** about gettintg this model done so keep on the look out this ones gonna be fun. Oh by the way this ones gonna be dirty because the MARINES dont keep anything clean.

Oh by the way this ones gonna be dirty because the MARINES dont keep anything clean.

I disagree, we are some of the biggest working party cleaning folks around. I am sure Dan can speak to this. Once it leaves the paint barn the soot is almost physically bonded with the bird. So while we clean them and I am sure a lot to remove the salt. You just can't get them that clean.

The Warhorse color bird rocks!! :thumbsup:

I've been thinking about doing that one myself, along with the Tiger striped one, 361, I think. I got a bunch of pics of YJ 50 at an airshow a couple of years ago, before some of it's new additions.

Very nice work, please keep posting your pics.

mason

I think it would be 361 as they are the Flying Tigers so it would make sense for them to have a tigers striped bird. I would like to see an photo's you have for the 361 as I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about that scheme.

Thank you sir for the pics. but thats the old bird. Thats the one I origionally wanted to do the model after man how times change. the new one doesnt have the WARHORSE on the nose and its Buno is 162501 now not 163072 like i remember. Its been a few years since ive seen the aircraft but thank you very much for the photos.

That makes sense. I hadn't looked that closely at the pics I just got of 50, but the markings have changed, they aren't as nice as they were, ie the white drop shadow on the 50 isn't consistent, etc. Maybe when they got 162501 with all of the new gear, they painted it up and passed the old 50 along...

I think it would be 361 as they are the Flying Tigers so it would make sense for them to have a tigers striped bird. I would like to see an photo's you have for the 361 as I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about that scheme.

That's what I figured as well. I didn't get any good pics of it, it flew in the MAGTF and wasn't on static. I didn't even realize it was tiger striped until James posted pics of it. So I looked at my pics and you can almost see the stripping.

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

I need to get a good walk around of that one.

mason

Tank wasnt trying to offend i see Marines out there all day washing those aircraft but they never get as clean as they were when they are new thats why im going dirty on this aircraft. During WTI these aircraft almost always have a huge amount of soot from the engines thats the way this model will look, Well used.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know of a better way to hand paint decals on this thing. I normally use frisket film but its a pain in the ARSE. Masking tape is out of the question and getting decals made for this thing isnt going to happen either. I tried to get decals made for an EA-6b I built about 3 years ago and instead of complimenting me with a price and say yeah well make them for you I gave them Pics of the Aircraft and now their making money off of them. So if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated Im about to start the rest of the painting on this thing.

Edited by Devilleader501

I disagree, we are some of the biggest working party cleaning folks around. I am sure Dan can speak to this. Once it leaves the paint barn the soot is almost physically bonded with the bird. So while we clean them and I am sure a lot to remove the salt. You just can't get them that clean.

When I was in, washing the chopper was part of the 14 day inspection. The IR paint they started using in the 80's is very hard to get exhaust soot out of. When the aircraft were painted in glossy green in the 70's, it was easy to have a clean bird. The first IR paint we went to was flat green, so the soot didn't show as bad as it does on the grey they're using today, but the 53's always looked dirty. I cannot for the life of me, figure out what made them want to change to grey. At least with the 46's, they paint part of the aft pylon flat black, so the soot doesn't show as badly as it does on the 53's. The tandem rotor wash also seems to mix things up to help keep the soot deposits less. Having the exhaust close to the end of the airframe helps, too.

The Marines did some experimenting with some camo schemes in the mid 80's and I remember flying in Yuma with a couple of desert camo'd Cobras flying ~1/4 mile off our starboard and you could not see them against the desert. The only way to find them was to scan the ground and look for the moving shadow and figure out where the snake was from there.

When I was in, washing the chopper was part of the 14 day inspection. The IR paint they started using in the 80's is very hard to get exhaust soot out of. When the aircraft were painted in glossy green in the 70's, it was easy to have a clean bird. The first IR paint we went to was flat green, so the soot didn't show as bad as it does on the grey they're using today, but the 53's always looked dirty. I cannot for the life of me, figure out what made them want to change to grey. At least with the 46's, they paint part of the aft pylon flat black, so the soot doesn't show as badly as it does on the 53's. The tandem rotor wash also seems to mix things up to help keep the soot deposits less. Having the exhaust close to the end of the airframe helps, too.

The Marines did some experimenting with some camo schemes in the mid 80's and I remember flying in Yuma with a couple of desert camo'd Cobras flying ~1/4 mile off our starboard and you could not see them against the desert. The only way to find them was to scan the ground and look for the moving shadow and figure out where the snake was from there.

Funny. I was just thinking about this the other day. The color change that is. We must've been in around the same time. I remember the black/grey/green 53's just start showing as I was getting out. I think (probably incorrectly) that some Captain/Major/Colonel didn't like green so they changed it when they had the power to do so. I too don't really care for grey.