Anyone know of a better way to hand paint decals on this thing. I normally use frisket film but its a pain in the ARSE. Masking tape is out of the question and getting decals made for this thing isnt going to happen either. I tried to get decals made for an EA-6b I built about 3 years ago and instead of complimenting me with a price and say yeah well make them for you I gave them Pics of the Aircraft and now their making money off of them. So if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated Im about to start the rest of the painting on this thing.

You talking about the tiger stripes?

Funny. I was just thinking about this the other day. The color change that is. We must've been in around the same time. I remember the black/grey/green 53's just start showing as I was getting out. I think (probably incorrectly) that some Captain/Major/Colonel didn't like green so they changed it when they had the power to do so. I too don't really care for grey.

Or how about the Air Force changing C-5's and other transports to green... where are you going to "hide" a C-5? Does it really make a difference if its making a low-level drop? Or would it be better to paint it a color that blends in with cruise flight or tarmac parking?

I'd think the color change would have come from someone higher up the food chain than that. Perhaps some general's brother-in-law had a financial interest in a paint manufacturing business... like when H-46's went through the SR&M upgrade in the 1980s and got rid of perfectly good, reliable, rebuildable, NiCad batteries and replaced them with throw-away lead-acid batteries with high alitude heaters from the F-18.

Edited by Phrogger

Its funny you talk about being in Yuma Az. I live here and i work for Maytag Aircraft and refuel all of the aircraft here. WTI this year was crazy busy. The 53's were flying their asses off and the aircraft that im doing this model after showed up on the last day to help the squadron home.

• 2 months later...

Hey, it looks like a dust cloud took a **** in the back of that shitter. I'm digging the wash in the cargo area, especially on the bulkheads. Sand gets everywhere in those damn things, you know like when they buzz Glamis at 20 ft. of the deck.

• 2 months later...

OK guys bringing this thing back from the dead. To say this hasn't made my life a living hell would be an understatement. Where the interior is put together in the rear of the aircraft was not cooperating and was making an 1/8 inch gap in the fuselage. So Dr. Simpson had to do some surgery. I had to cut the upper part of the interior to make everything fit. I'm hoping that it wont be noticeable from out side looking in. Here are a couple of pics to show what I have done.

This picture shows the area that had to be cut in order to close the gap.

7174699136_e746df83ac_z.jpg

IMG_0598 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

This is a picture of the gap that wouldn't close forcing me to revert to surgery. No matter how I placed all of the parts together it did the same thing. So the next best thing when something doesn't go your way is to get a bigger hammer lol.

7174701928_9a97013d6a_z.jpg

IMG_0594 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

DL, when I did dry-fit on mine, I preassembled the interior as its own unit, then put the shell together around that.

Little late for you, but anybody else building one of these beasties might benefit from that tweak to the build sequence.

I actually tried that and it didn't work for this one. I'm not sure if I just got a hold of one that got through QA or what but this thing was a PITA. I'm almost ready to get the Fuse halves together and Hope to God I got it right. This thing has been glued and disassembled like 5 times now trying to get it right. When I glued the upper half of the Fuse together the bottom didn't line up, And when I tried to glue the interior together first it made things even worse.

This was the first Academy Model I have ever worked with. I have always heard good things about them but this model really made me mad. Especially when I paid almost $90.00 shipped. But I think the bout is over and now I can finally move on with this Beast and finally complete it. It's been such a daunting task dealing with it. It's why I put it away for so long I didn't want to get mad at it and smash it into the 500 pieces I built it up from. This thing is almost 75% complete so look for more updates coming soon. I am hopping this will be done in about a month or so. Thank you to everyone on the words of encouragement and complements. JOSH

I'm hoping that everyone who reads this thread that is in the prospect of building this model doesn't get discouraged from what I have said. This model is really cool it's huge and looks really bad***. I'm hoping that everyone learns a lesson here and dryfits till the plastic melts in order to avoid the problems I had with this CH-53. The detail is really good but I was hoping for a little rivet love from Academy but hey what can you say at least the gave this Bird a go. Everyone else has passed it up.

How do you guys fill seams. Normally i just use the glue I'm working with to make that line disappear but I'm thinking this one is going to need filler. I normally use the stuff you fill small holes in walls with but am maybe thinking about using Tamiya or some other brand of filler what do you guys think. JOSH

I recommend Squadron Green Putty. It works great and is easy to work with. Hobby fillers are much better than wall spackle. The hobby putties have solvents in them that bond to the plastic, as opposed to the wall spackle that can easily crack and fall out.

How is the HH-1N coming along?

Edited by HeavyArty

Hey Gino do you know where I can locate some of that green putty at. As far as the HH-1N it's goping kinds slow i broke some parts off it and lost them so now I'm re scratch building them. the biggest PITA is the passenger side front pillar that the windscreen attaches to. I need to order some more plasticard and such in order to get it done. I'm sure you have an online company that you probably get all of your stuff from. Like building supplys and such. Thanks Gino

I use 2 things to fill cracks. White glue to fill between things like the wing and fuse and Bondo Glazing and spot putty. I thin the Bondo stuff with rubbing alcohol. I've never used the green putty but have used the white and found it hard to sand.

I'll check it out soon Gino thanks for the suggestion. I don't have any good hobby shops near bye so i am forced to buy online. HMMMM maybe I'll have to think about opening my own hobby shop here. Something to ponder in the near future. Anyway thanks again. JOSH

Glued the upper part of the Fuse together tonight. I am hoping and praying that what i did to the interior will work. everything is looking good so far. I have some seams to fill but that is the least of my worries. The way its glued it almost seems like when I glue the lower portion of the Fuse that its not going to hold there is a lot of resistance pushing back. I hope this glue joint holds up. I want this model done so my father will be happy. i just dont want it that bad to have a weak join and me have to fix it again later on.. More updates soon for the mean time here are some pics.

I finally got the upper part of the fuselage to come together right.

7186943698_67c114941f_z.jpg

IMG_0618 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

heres my end result.

7186944656_a802405fd3_z.jpg

IMG_0619 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

I tried to get the best picture I could of the interior but this is the best I could do for now.

7186945636_ff755b34e8_z.jpg

IMG_0625 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

hope you all like the updates. If this goes down like I want it to then there will be more updates soon. I want this one finished and am concentrating on it most to get it done.

Just ordered Tamiya tape and a tube of the green goo/ filler paste. I am hoping I can come up with something soon to make this thing come together I am losing patience with it and myself. This model will get done and will be done right. Wish me luck all. JOSH

Just ordered Tamiya tape and a tube of the green goo/ filler paste. I am hoping I can come up with something soon to make this thing come together I am losing patience with it and myself. This model will get done and will be done right. Wish me luck all. JOSH

Looking forward to your progress. If I managed to finish my Trumpy Chinook, than you should have no problem. :cheers:

Looking forward to your progress. If I managed to finish my Trumpy Chinook, than you should have no problem. :cheers:

Just wondering what you guys think of this color.I know its not blue grey but Im on a budget and really dont have the paints to mix the blue grey. I think Im close and will be judged by others as not being correct but I dont care. Just wondering how people who have been following this thread think. does it look OK. or should i change the color. Im also talking about the darker color.

7201945552_818069a368_z.jpg

IMG_0636 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7201946854_dfb2c992ed_z.jpg

IMG_0637 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks JOSH

I like the darker shade. The lighter grey seems to light to me. Of course it could appear that way on my moniter. I thought the Echos were a single color grey. At least in images it looks that way to me. When I was in they were all one shade of green. If it looks good to you then go with it. I've used colors before that weren't what was called for but were close enough. The people that see my models don't know and the ones that do know don't see my models.

Well call me a liar. Lol I just found some sea blue and remixxed my dark gray. I think it's almost dead on now.This thing is gonna look RADD when its done. I had about 2/3 of a small jar of dark gray that i lightened with some white a few weeks ago. I added 20 drops of sea blue and this is what I came up with. This is what I was going for as far as color variations.

7207923932_8ee9ef945d_z.jpg

IMG_9864 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

And here is what I just came up with.

7208123112_6219273c95_z.jpg

IMG_0001 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7208124184_37749f69cb_z.jpg

IMG_0002 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

So what do you guys think. Too dark now? After weathering it should look OK I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just found a bunch of gray paints in my model master stash I didn't even know I had lol. Gonna spray the model down hopefully tonight just finishing a little more filling. Over all it is coming out good but it has been a huge PITA. I have to respray it because the paint I used to have for it stored away I just used on my F-8E Crusader. So I'll find something close and well see what happens. Hopefully I will have updates tonight.