Ok heres what I have for paints. The middle one is one I just mixed to make it a lighter blue gray. The other blue gray was to dark for me. But now I actually have all 3 colors in line for this CH-53E and it will be painted the second coat tomorow I'm still working bugs out of the filling sanding and taping. Heres a pic of what I have for colors.

7300124708_d17285733a_z.jpg

IMG_0070 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

Now my question is now that the blue gray is lighter than it was do you guys think I should change the darkest gray in the lineup to something else. They all look pretty close to me but the pic doesn't do the paint justice. They look way more correct in person. Your thoughts and suggestions are all welcome. JOSH

I just finished the filling and will start painting tomorrow here is what I have so far. This thing is a hell of a model let me say. It has been a PITA but it has been a very cool build because I have learned a lot of things with this model. She's big almost 2 feet after it's all said and done. Heres the pics.

7300887424_cd6647b3cf_z.jpg

IMG_0072 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7300888416_dab61c2d8e_z.jpg

IMG_0073 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

That Tamiya green stuff is really cool as well as the Tamiya tape. I can't believe I waited so long to invest in it.

Well shes now one color of medium gray. Now time for masking the Blue Gray off. If anyone has noticed i cut the IFR probe tip off. Reason being is because its going to be replaced with a metal tube to extend it out like it's actually refueling in flight. hope you all like everything. Some of the panel lines dissapeared because I have no Idea how to rescribe them so Ill live with it for now. This thing is going to be hung up on the ceiling anyways so Im not too worried about it.

7346963412_80b46f7ea5_z.jpg

IMG_0089 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

Edited by Devilleader501

Keep tuned in Diamond I should have the second color on tonight. I'm in the process of masking it as we speak. I cant wait for this thing to be done My father is hounding me to get it done. LOL everything I build goes to him so once this thing is done hes buying me the 1 4/8th scale C-130 for me to convert to a KC-130 so I can put it in front of the CH-53E. It's gonna be cool looking. JOSH

Some of the panel lines dissapeared because I have no Idea how to rescribe them so Ill live with it for now.

You can use the back of an exacto knife blade.

Lookin good so far. And a 1/48th inflight refueling dio hanging from your ceiling... sounds awesome!

Take care,

Austin

Preliminary results show it to be a Helicopter. It took our forensics team many hours of investigation and painless hours of going over the paint scheme. We have now concluded that it is indeed a CH-53E Super Stallion. We just hope that next time we have to investigate such a Monstrosity that there be more visible evidence. Concluding our investigation we hope to see it finished soon.

7347602528_9fc664917c_z.jpg

IMG_0103 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7162394617_598f78925f_z.jpg

IMG_0106 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7162395165_3217f043cb_z.jpg

IMG_0108 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

Hope you all like it so far. The last color will come in the next day or so and then it will be touch ups and puting the rest of this big Errmmmm thing together for good. As always comments are always welcome. Sorry about the crappy lighting this house has 100 watt bulbs so its very bright. My camera has a flash thats like a spot light other wise I would have used it in a dim lit room. JOSH

Looking really good! Seeing all these Stallions is making me want to pull mine out and start working on it again, but I dont know if I have the guts to do it right now. I decided to just full tilt on mine, and build a lot of compartments & 2 engines, and I'm afraid I've bit off more than I can chew on it.

Adam, advice from experience on BIG projects in other fields: take it like eating an elephant, one bite at a time. If you forget about the "bigger chopper" and just treat each piece as its own independent mini-model and focus on say building the best engine or gearbox you can, that might help.

Just like Diamond said which i agree fully with. Make it into 4 different models if you have to. I would love to see one built all opened up like that. I never did anything like that with this one because it was started over 2 years ago and only found ARC about a year ago. I am way more confident now after finding this forum. I have learned so much from everyone on here. I'm still afraid of hand painting the tail and hoping it will come out as good as the rest of it. I have tried printing off the picture and cuting the stencil out but i keep messing it up so well see how it turns out in the end. JOSH

Actually, I'm trying to get into a frame of mind to treat EVERY distinct subcomponent as its own model: cockpit, cabin, sponsons, tanks, each engine... you get the idea. If you treat each piece as its own model, then when you finally have them all done and put them all together the end product can only be better than the sum of its parts.

Well I just got the last color on this thing. A little sanding to finish it off and it will be ready for decals and weathering. I'm on the home stretch now. The only thing that needs to be painted now are the tail code and the rearing horse. Oh the # 50 needs to be painted as well more to come soon.

7350176848_242b216caf_z.jpg

IMG_0113 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7164965773_6892ecf01a_z.jpg

IMG_0115 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7350178422_8789f53e0d_z.jpg

IMG_0118 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

It's actually not clay. This stuff is Elmers sticky tack' Its the same as the blue tack that people use to hang posters and stuff without pulling paint off of walls. Its fairly cheap I got mine at Micheals but you can find any of this stuff at Walmart. I think its in the school supplys. Easy to use and yields pretty good results. The only down side of this stuff is as soon as you mask it with tape and paint over it it is no good and needs to be thrown away. This stuff is awsome on camouflaging aircraft. I have seen people mask this stuff with clear plastic wrap but I have yet to try it. Me and plastic wrap don't get along well.

Very nice!! Next time you need a mask like this, look at Silly Putty or the generic stuff. The great thing is you can paint it, then just roll it back into a ball, and its good to go next time. I used SP for a 3 color camo scheme on a tank I did last year, and it worked amazingly well.

Hey Baker doesn't silly putty have oils in it. I have always been told that stuff cam bleed into the paint. It sounds like a good idea though maybe I'll have to try it on a test subject sometime. I do apreciate all of the comments though. It really is amazing how much my modeling have evolved over the last year of being apart of ARC and all the help I get from everyone.

Care to share? It may not have been your ideas time today, but maybe it'll inspire somebody to have a breakthrough... (Though that somebody won't be me this build, I'm thinking something like 1 part FS37031 Interior Black to 4 parts Clear Gloss, trying to make the beast look just plain evil... either that or the same nasty pale gray-greenish hue of the Fourth Horseman's steed in the Book of Revelations. Maybe when I build a "Standard E" someday...)

I was thinking more along the lines of masking the walk ways off and future them then take some very fine grade salt and sprinkle over it let it dry over night then spray it flat black. Not sure it would turn out well but I'm willing to try if I can get these printouts to come out in the right scale. To me it would look more like the non slip walk ways then the decals they provide. Just a thought nothing set in stone yet. What do you guys think.

Interesting idea! I was actually thinking that a modeler with a really good hand might scan the decals, print and cut templates from that, then shave those areas down and cut out panels of fine-grit sandpaper to use for walkways. (Sadly not me, my hands actually shake so bad that sometimes I have to build jigs to assist with building or painting.)