Mig-17 PF colour schemes?

Hi all

I wondered if anyone knew of any camo patterns for Soviet Mig-17 PF's?

So far I have only been able to find camo schemes for Czech and East German aircraft, but I'd really like to do a Soviet airforce plane in a camouflage. I don't fancy painting an all metallic finish ;)

Thanks all

The PF was a pure interceptor, used (AFAIK) only by the PVO, not by Frontal Aviation. The PVO rarely ever used any kind of camouflage. In any event, MiG-17s were long gone from Soviet AF service (except maybe, possibly, as advanced trainers) by the time camouflage came along in the mid to late 1970s.

Same reason you never see an F-84E in SEA camouflage... Two different time periods that didn't overlap.

Edited by Jennings

Don't think there were any camo MiG-17's in Soviet service, but others may know more. (Hello, Ken?)

All Soviet MiG-17's I've seen were bare metal, or bare metal with a clear laquer overcoat, or

painted in a aluminum colored laquer.

I did see this one camo Soviet-marked MiG-17F at the war memorial

in Kiev, but I think this particular aircraft was painted for corrosion control.

MiG-17F_1_-650x419.jpg

Thanks for the back ground guys!

I know very little about the mig-17, I just picked up the mig-17 PF Fresco D as i thought it looked cool. With that weird nose and all the guns.

That picture from Kiev is interesting, it would be nice to know for certain if that's a inaccurate museum paint job or if it has any basis in reality.

If it's just fantasy I might go for the East German scheme as I really liked the colours on that :)

I'm know only aluminium MiG-17PFs, and some of MiG-17PFs from Naval Air Defence system, which based near Murmansk were overal medium grey - its standard for USSR NAVY "sharovyi" color.

I'm know only aluminium MiG-17PFs, and some of MiG-17PFs from Naval Air Defence system, which based near Murmansk were overal medium grey - its standard for USSR NAVY "sharovyi" color.

Have you ever seen anything on the two or three-tone grey (?) AVMF MiG-21SM interceptors allegedly based near Murmansk?? There is a photo of one in the old Bill Gunston MiG-21 book, but I've never seen another photo of it.

J

Any pictures of these USSR Navy MiG-17s?

I was thinking too about doing a DDR Fresco but the decals included in the kit is for a repainted museum MiG which is the "091". I didn't find any other pictures of other German MiGs so far.

I'm not shure about photos of MiG-17s. - in russian Mir Aviatsii magazine was published several articles about Cold War conflict, in one of articles there was color profile of on of MiG-19, which shut down USAF RB-66 aircraft over East Germany, it was painted in dark grey and before this operated at North Fleet PVO system. In this article was wrote that not only MiG-19 were painted in grey, previously operated MiG-17 have same color scheme.

About photos of MiG-21 - never seen any other information, except this book.

Does anyone know anything about this aircraft?

I found two different images of this plane on Wing's Palette but have no idea if it is accurate? Wing's Palette say its from Aviation Review Magazine and the plane is from the 1950's?

Mig-17

Second image from clavework graphics who date it as 1958

Mig-17 2

If it's just fantasy I might go for the East German scheme as I really liked the colours on that :)

In this case note that East German camouflaged 17 were F's not PF's!

There was one camouflaged PF (look here: http://home.arcor.de/rolicb/lsk/mig17pf.jpg), but it was display only.

The F here: http://home.arcor.de/rolicb/lsk/mig17platte.jpg

Edited by Floggerman

That picture from Kiev is interesting, it would be nice to know for certain if that's a inaccurate museum paint job or if it has any basis in reality.

It's totally ficticious........... just repainted for museum display.....

day02_023.jpg

The MiG-21PFM, MiG-23 ... and even the Yak-9 are all in the same camo.... :woot.gif:

day02_032.jpg

day02_033.jpg

A few more pics here (scroll down about halfway).

Ken

Found this Mig-17F, I'm assuming though that this colour scheme is totally fictitious and just made up by the museum?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3n8YhXDXXQ4/TAfWrxyXyzI/AAAAAAAA4TE/LYtDlqSeJXk/s1600/pzl-mielec_lim-6_fresco-c_mig-17f_lside_tam_3feb2010.jpg

Website has it listed as Tillamook Air Museum?

Anyone have any thoughts on the dark green and silver mig? How reliable are clavework graphics?

Unless they come up with a color photo, I'd go with 100% pure fiction. The Soviets simply did not camouflage fighter aircraft back then. I've never seen a single photo of an in-service MiG-17 fighter (not a trainer, a fighter, in service as such) in anything but bare metal or painted silver.

As they say, outrageous claims require outrageous proof (or something like that). I ain't seen no outrageous proof.