307th Bomb wing crest (B-47E about 1962

I am trying to get a good quality picture that I can make a decal from. Here is a picture of one on a B-47E model. The time frame I am after is 1962 to 1964. I can probably talk SWMBO to create it in photo shop but she too busy with work to help right now.

307thcrest-02.jpg

Edited by drhornii

I really hate to ask this, but did you try the famous search engine that starts with "Goo"?

307BW.jpg

I have that one, I believe that is for the b-52 units. They are close but fro the photo I posted, the good symbol looks different. The quality is not that good but they do look different.

Everything I've found on the 307th shows the yellow four leaf clover design on a blue field. I think that's a safe bet. It's amazing how much of that SAC history seems to have disappeared. It's almost like the B-47 never existed.

Everything I've found on the 307th shows the yellow four leaf clover design on a blue field. I think that's a safe bet. It's amazing how much of that SAC history seems to have disappeared. It's almost like the B-47 never existed.

You are not kidding on the B-47 disappearing....it had a short life as well. The one we had in the park at Altus AFB was put on display in 1961, the plane was only 10 years old if that.

Dave:

Saw this book noted in the new books section of AFA's magazine last night. Should have everything you need:

http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffer/book_template.php?isbn=9780764337512

Jennings:

The late 50's and early 60's seems to have been an era in SAC when all photography on the flightlines was forbidden. Difficult to find photos of any SAC aircraft from that period other than the standard PR ones and an occasional one from an open house or air show. Try finding a B-52D from the 509th in silver over white.

Mark S.

Dave:

Saw this book noted in the new books section of AFA's magazine last night. Should have everything you need:

http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffer/book_template.php?isbn=9780764337512

Thanks for the link, I would like that book but I am building a "one off" model for a friend so spending that much is out of the budget.

The late 50's and early 60's seems to have been an era in SAC when all photography on the flightlines was forbidden.

It wasn't just the '50s and '60s. I first heard the sound of the bolt of an M-16 close up in the 1980s at a SAC base :)

I'm sure there are histories buried somewhere, but I don't know what happened to the SAC/HO files when SAC was unceremoniously dismantled in 1991. It wouldn't surprise me that a lot of it ended up in the dumpster, since the fighter mafia's animosity against SAC was so over the top back then. Hopefully much of it went to Maxwell, but getting in there and finding it is another matter.

You are not kidding on the B-47 disappearing....it had a short life as well. The one we had in the park at Altus AFB was put on display in 1961, the plane was only 10 years old if that.

You can thank the wisdom of LABS for the short life-span:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toss_bombing

There was a reason it was called "the biggest fighter ever built!" :lol:

Technology was also jumping in leaps and bounds during that time and it was only ever intended as an interim until the B-52 really came on line.

It's too bad the -47's couldn't have soldiered on just a few more years... as there was some talk about possible use in Southeast Asia, but they would've probably really been pushing the airframe life at that point. I think the program was also ended early due to wanting to route the support funding towards faster bomber projects like the B-58, XB-70, F-111 and B-1.

The -47 was really over-shadowed by the B-52 though, which is unfortunate because the -47 really was the backbone and epitome of SAC in the early years of the Cold War.