This has been a busy season for earthquakes. Felt the one in Arkansas in late February, had to evacuate my Hawaii hotel because of the March tsunami, earthquake in New Zealand, earthquake in Peru, earthquake in Turkey, earthquake in Colorado, Virginia, and now Oklahoma.

Given the plains aren't known for earthquakes, it was quite unsettling.

We're not???? :blink: I give you exhibit A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake

Saw a show on television where excavation of sand geysers was taking place in fields across Missouri that were related to New Madrid... they were finding that this wasn't a singular event and has happened many times before as other geyser remnants were found at deeper levels.

We haven't felt anything up here in Nebraska to my knowledge. Crazy stuff.

The earthquake in Virginia did do some damage localized to the epicenter of the quake as a few houses got their foundations totally knocked askew (not to mention the damage to the Washington Monument and the National Cathedral). I don't like to joke about quakes as they really ARE to one thing that not to many people can do much to prepare for in places where they ARE rare (such as the midwest).

In case you people hadn't noticed, the Mayan's have predicted that the world will end next year.

I suppose this is part of the preliminary stage of the end of days......

Well I guess it's a good thing the Mayan's aren't around anymore.

Which begs another question. If the Mayan's were so good at predicting future events, why didn't they foresee there own demise and do something about it?

I know its been said before, and I don't like to get this going again, but this sort of superstitious bs based entirely on misinformation passed on from one misinformed individual to the next makes my blood boil.

So for the very last time:

The Mayan calendar ends every 52 years. Its called a sheaf of years. 2012 is simply the end of another 52 year cycle. Each time the cycle ends, the Mayans hold a slew of renewal ceremonies, and life goes on.

Our own calendar ends every December 31. Does anybody claim that we're predicting the end of the world for that day? No, we hold a renewal ceremony, ge drunk, and start a new calendar.

PS. The Mayans are still around. Major portions of the populations of southern Mexico and Guatemala are ethnically Mayan.

I know its been said before, and I don't like to get this going again, but this sort of superstitious bs based entirely on misinformation passed on from one misinformed individual to the next makes my blood boil.

The Mayan calendar ends every 52 years. Its called a sheaf of years. 2012 is simply the end of another 52 year cycle. Each time the cycle ends, the Mayans hold a slew of renewal ceremonies, and life goes on.

Our own calendar ends every December 31. Does anybody claim that we're predicting the end of the world for that day? No, we hold a renewal ceremony, ge drunk, and start a new calendar.

PS. The Mayans are still around. Major portions of the populations of southern Mexico and Guatemala are ethnically Mayan.

You learn something new everyday. I stand corrected. :doh:

My statement was firmly tongue in cheek. Not intended to make your blood boil. Sorry if it did. That said maybe you shouldn't take comments on an internet forum that seriously.

Boiling blood obviously can't be good for you.

:D

My daughter is at Ft Riley and she said she slept through it but some of her friends had felt it.

We have quakes in South Carolina all the time, you just never feel them. Biggest one this past year was 4.3 if I remember correctly and centered about 5 miles from the house. I didn't know the fault runs underneath my neighborhood, realtor failed to mention it. :unsure: Last big one was 1886, estimated at 6.6-7.3 and nearly destroyed the entire city. Next big one here will be bad since they have built so much and so many more people live here.

My daughter is at Ft Riley and she said she slept through it but some of her friends had felt it.

We have quakes in South Carolina all the time, you just never feel them. Biggest one this past year was 4.3 if I remember correctly and centered about 5 miles from the house. I didn't know the fault runs underneath my neighborhood, realtor failed to mention it. :unsure: Last big one was 1886, estimated at 6.6-7.3 and nearly destroyed the entire city. Next big one here will be bad since they have built so much and so many more people live here.

Is your daughter stationed at Fort Riley? What unit? I spent three years there back in the mid-90's, was with 4/37 Armor and 2/70 Armor, 1st ID and 1st AD respectively. Visited a buddy there a couple of years back before he retired and was amazed at all the new building that has gone on there, they have built so many new barracks and other buildings. When I was stationed there we lived in old 1950's and Vietnam era barracks building, so I was a bit jealous. Looked like Custer Hill was getting completely re-worked but the old buildings on main post were still the same (I think they are probably considered historic and can't be modernized or something...). I don't think I had been to a colder place during any of my tours. Fort Riley was colder than even Fort Drum.

When I visited Manhattan, KS last it looked like it had a building/population boom after I left also. Nice little town, a couple of my friends retired from Riley and settled down there.

Ah, the good ole days back then, the 90's. :D

I am with RKic when it comes to doom and gloom predictions. JFK and Moon landing conspiracies are two other things that tend to trip my trigger wrong (although in the case of JFK, I chuckle somewhat in the thought the Lee Harvey Oswald failed at EVERYTHING he did because people don't believe he killed the president, there is something kind of poetic about that).

Granted when my IPMS chapter bid on the Nationals, we were originally going to bid for the 2012 show as that was the normal date reserved for midwestern convention bids. We only upped it to 2011 since nobody was bidding for the 2011 slot at the time and we were encouraged to do so. I did make a comment in passing that if the world DID end in 2012, we could advertise the convention as the last BIG IPMS bash before the world comes to an end. And if the world came to an end that week, we would have had a tongue in cheek analysis of how Omaha was located FAR away from any coastline, so the chances of a tidal wave wiping us out were slim (in case the question came up during the public bid presentations). So the encouragement was to come to Omaha, enjoy the show and SPEND SPEND SPEND in the vendors room because the world might be gone in a few months. ;)

Personally though, the idiots that predict the end of all crap are only doing it for one reason, to draw attention to their stupid flawed arguements. And if they are proved wrong, they just say they misinterpreted the data and come up with a new date out of their butts. It is like that one jackwagon (I love that word, thanks R.Lee Ermy) who has made what, three predictions this year that the world would end on such and such a date and has not ONCE been right in his prediction.

Of course, when it comes to this whole doom and gloom prediction, I think of something the late great Andy Rooney said many years ago in one of his 60 Minutes columns when it came to the celebration of Earth Day. He said the title was flawed because technically we weren't trying to "protect the planet" but rather protect ourselves. If the environment got all messed up (or if some catastrophe happens, be it man made or Earth based, as opposed to a cosmic one like the sun going supernova or something), humanity my go but the Earth would still be there all fat, dumb and happy, orbiting around the sun. It would just be a barren rock, or something with a messed up atmosphere. As such, the "world" would not come to an end. It would just be "the end of the world as we know it". And I feel fine BTW.

My statement was firmly tongue in cheek. Not intended to make your blood boil. Sorry if it did. That said maybe you shouldn't take comments on an internet forum that seriously.

In which case I apologize to you. But not to the fools out there who buy into this sort of crap

Got 2 new emoticons for you. :woot.gif:

:tongue-in-cheek::sarcasm_on:

Enjoy!!!

In which case I apologize to you. But not to the fools out there who buy into this sort of crap

Oh, believe me, I feel the same way. That said, I find it really irritates said people if you make a joke out of the whole thing.