Encounter in the ancient tomb

Currently painting a heap of 25mm miniatures to use in my son in laws D&D campaign. This project has taken over from both my wife's and my existing current projects. (Her; Eureka cowbear vignette, me; 1:48 Hobbyboss KV-1 mod. 1942)

Having a great time rediscovering old skills and techniques, plus discovering new ones :)

I am enjoying painting this Reaper Barrow Warden. Making old steel armour look well weathered but still functional is a goal I am attempting to achieve with this miniature. Still more layering and weathering washes to go. Surcoat and bones are done, base expanded out with green stuff, though more to do yet.

The images show the red surcoat reflecting off the armour. Not seen that before.

inprogress-reaper-barrow-warden01.jpg

inprogress-reaper-barrow-warden02.jpg

Comments welcome!

Wow! Great work, Mike! Looks sooo cool! I particularly like the paint on the skull. I swear painting 25mm stuff is a black art. I'm wanting to get started on them myself. I have Games Workshops Fellowship of the Ring set. Already stripped them once. Got any tips or online tutorials you could point me too? I'd greatly appreciate it.

OK

I am calling this "almost" done. The camera is picking up little flaws and "accidents" that I have since cleaned up. Cameras take NO prisoners!

I wanted the runes along the sword blade to glow a bit, not sure if I was successful or not, though it does look quite acceptable.

I am not sure this will ever grace the gaming table, so I have not yet protective clear coated.

Here tis,

reaper-barrow-warden01.jpg

reaper-barrow-warden02.jpg

reaper-barrow-warden04.jpg

Wow! Great work, Mike! Looks sooo cool! I particularly like the paint on the skull. I swear painting 25mm stuff is a black art. I'm wanting to get started on them myself. I have Games Workshops Fellowship of the Ring set. Already stripped them once. Got any tips or online tutorials you could point me too? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Mike

I would recommend Cool Mini or not for your first port of call.

You could try YouTube as well. Search for Beasts of War

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...