Tupolev ANT-20 Scratchbuild

Now, I hesitate to post this up here because I have NO timetable of actually finishing it, and and I have a nasty habit of beginning projects without finishing them. But, I got to a point where I was like, "I HAVE to show this off"- so here it is, with one caveat- I'm not telling you what it is! :woot.gif:

DSCN1815.jpg

Here's some clues, though:

- Scale is 1/72.

- Notice which forum it's posted in.

- Here it is compared to a Tupolev TB-3.

DSCN1817.jpg

Again, NO kind of timetable to completion on this thing, but hopefully they'll be updates often enough. Happy guessing!

Edited by Lucien Harpress

WE HAVE A WINNNAAAHH! DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!!! :yahoo:

Yup, she is indeed the Tupolev ANT-20 Maxim Gorky. I've wanted to build one for a while now, but never got around to it. It took seeing this:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_31500_start_320.html

to give me the motivation to actually start. Figured we needed a Gorky on my side of the pond too!

I don't plan on going as far as he did on interior detailing (I'd like to keep mine buttoned up), but I wouldn't mind motorizing the props. I probably won't light it (too much effort), as I don't want to get so bogged down in details I forget to actually FINISH the thing.

Again- no real timetable on completion, but hopefully sooner rather than later.

• 4 weeks later...

Makes for a better "shelf presence". :thumbsup:

Shelf presence? Not sure what manner of shelves you have, but I'm thinking a large-middle-of-the-floor-and-oh-honey-you-don't-mind-if-we-make-our-living-room-a-shrine-to-this-beast-do-you table.

Well, when you have an XB-36 on the bench, two Ju 290 kits that will eventually be smashed together into a -390, and a Spruce Goose in pieces floating in the background, the Maxim Gorky doesn't look so big anymore... :woot.gif:

Anyhoo, despite the holidays and FINALLY landing a full-time job (WOOHOO!), I have managed to slog forward a bit. The bottom panels are done (minus the rounded wingtips), and I've started on the upper panels.

111206_047.jpg

The fuselage is going to be... interesting. Despite mostly being just a box, there are a few rounded corners that make building it (especially with non-sandable corrugated plastic) going to be a pain. We'll see.

In the meantime, I got bored and started looking at plans for OTHER planes. I crunched some numbers, printed some pictures, cut some plastic, and came up with ANOTHER wing spar...

111206_048.jpg

I'm not saying I'm starting another project this early, but then again, you never know...

111206_050.jpg

:popcorn: