Airbus A340-300 Finnair 1/144

Those are a very nice decals Cuprar!

Mine will be with the One World livery.

Here are some pictures of the build:

As the doors doesn't seem to have a thick line I decided to add putty and sand them because there are going to be decals over them, I guess that in reality the door fits perfectly to the fuselage so it is plain.

fin120.jpg

fin121.jpg

I've made new gutters as it seems Finnair uses angled gutters instead of horizontal ones used by Lufthansa.

fin122.jpg

fin123.jpg

Some cockpit decals (they are quite small!)

fin124.jpg

I'm going to try to improve these lights instead of using a plain decal.

fin125.jpg

Hi Guillem,

Good to see your progress and good to see you did the same thing to the ligths in the wing root as I did on my A330. Simple fix that will improve the realism of this kit. And thanks for pointing out the other details that you changed. I never knew that differences in gutters existed. One more thing that you might take into consideration is the bending of the wings. When simply gluing the wings onto the fuselage out of the box, they appear rather stiff to me, whereas in reality they bend depending on the weight of the aircraft as it is filled with cargo, passengers and fuel.

It is all looking great.

Chao! Ingmar

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much to everyone for your comments :cheers:

Today I just have 3 pictures, not much to show but I've been doing a couple of attempts in making photoetched fanblades and all I can say is that at the moment it seems I'm on the good way but still need practice and try more attempts so the project will be in standby to concentrate on making those photoetched fanblades (as well as pitot tubes)

I really need your opinion about this because I want to add JAL workers around the airplane, maybe about 3 to 4 but I don't know which situation could be, so I don't know if I should add passangers or just leave it empty, I need the advice of people here who have seen those scenarios to create a realistic moment. I saw pictures of JAL workers with this airplane parked at the gates in Japan as both airlines are from the One World alliance but I would like to hear your ideas, adding figures around the nose gear or main landing gears could add an extra of realism.

Here are the 3 pictures I mentioned:

fin130.jpg

As for the wing light I'm planning on making something similar like I did on the nosegear lights.

fin131.jpg

fin132.jpg

It's been few days since I saw the ANA's 787 with regular scheme and the big 787 on both sides of the airplane.. I just try to keep my Zvezda box closed but I can't stop thinking about it, truly my next airplane project :blush:

Adding passengers would make this an even more astonishing model. I know it is more work, but considering the time you have already put into it, it is maybe not that much. I think you can easily add ground crew as well. I don't know exactly what they would be doing, but it would indeed increase realism.

Edited by FokkerFan
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys,

After a long time, I post just 3 pictures of the cabin, there is work to do there, adjust few things and add a matt varnish coat.

I'm waiting for the photoetching products, so after some tests I started again with the A340, this time preparing the windows and fuselage for its union.

fin133.jpg

fin134.jpg

fin135.jpg

Hopefully the next pictures will be the fuselage joined with the new windows.

Guillem

Thank you all :)

What is placed on the two large horizontal panels next to the seats, on the real airplane? They just look so flat and a waste of surface.

I think there are closets and also a kind of pannel for the aircraft (not sure about it but maybe is the alarm panel or something like that, with lots of buttons)

fin136.jpg

fin137.jpg

It was a bit hard to paint those small figures :D

fin138.jpg

fin139.jpg

fin140.jpg

fin141.jpg

fin142.jpg

fin143.jpg

fin144.jpg

fin145.jpg

Cheers!

Guillem

I think there are closets and also a kind of pannel for the aircraft (not sure about it but maybe is the alarm panel or something like that, with lots of buttons)

Yes those are the circuit brakers. In normal flights they are not used but when a system has to be shut down the pilots need to be able to reach the brakers quickly.

The flight crew looks just excellent! What figures did you use for it? I ordered some bags with those N-scale figures you showed and they look funny for use in an airport diorama or something.

Hi all,

Yes those are the circuit brakers. In normal flights they are not used but when a system has to be shut down the pilots need to be able to reach the brakers quickly.

Thanks for the info! :);)

The flight crew looks just excellent! What figures did you use for it? I ordered some bags with those N-scale figures you showed and they look funny for use in an airport diorama or something.

Where are those people from?

Actually these are a resin copy that I made of a Preiser figures in 1/144, it was a box sorted of mechanics and a couple of pilots (comercial and military) if I remember correctly, I bought them and copied them for a very long/big project that I have in mind in which there are lots of mechanics working on an airplane :D.

I can't find a picture of the box on Internet and as I bought that item on Ebay there is no option to check for that pictures (item ended) But I bet these were the last ones because I never saw them again there.

Anyway I'll try to take a couple of pictures of the box, now checking on Google I found that there are other variations of Preiser's 1/144 figures.

Bye!

Guillem

Edit: Forgot to mention that I had to cut some arms and legs to adapt the position for the cabin :D

Edited by Roca46

:jaw-dropping: :jaw-dropping: :worship: I am amazed!! I'm not sure if I'm going to continue my work after watching this...

But, it's called overhead panel where are switches and buttons for main aircraft's systems: hydraulics, fuel pumps, power(APU control, GPU, battery...), exterior/interior light control, AC, pressuarization...

Circuit brakers are next to the door(behind pilots)

It was a bit hard to paint those small figures :D

fin138.jpg

and don't worry I have problem to paint landing gear wheels in two diferent colors... :hmmm:

:cheers::gr_hail:

Love from Serbia! Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

It's been some days since the last update. I'm currently working on the joining of both sides of the fuselage, right now sanding the putty so hopefully I'll upload pictures soon.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the figures that I have:

preiserfig1.jpg

preiserfig2.jpg

See you on the next update.

Guillem

What exactly do you want to do with that area of putty?

Not sure if this picture will show it well as I have some others in my other pc, but I want to represent that panel http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cathay-Pacific-Airways/Airbus-A340-313X/1859791/L/&sid=1ab09abe17c3f45ac1b909d78a87e80f

By sanding the lower section till reach the original plastic and leaving the upper section with a bit of thickness, I want to represent that panel, the effect that it's not just a simple line. Revell only has graved lines, but that's not true in real airplane because certain panels are much visible than others that are overlayed.

Of course it needs more sanding, but at the touch feel and watching from close up, plus the thickness of the clear I think will be ok, hope next pictures shows better what I want to represent.

Guillem

Edit* Just saw another pic that I have in my pc from Airliners http://www.airliners.net/photo/Oneworld-%28Finnair%29/Airbus-A340-313E/1987466/L/&sid=d1f4c566fa7f2e471b15cd1e6ec1a150 I think that is one of the most visible panels at first sight so I will try to sand it a little bit more and see how is the result after the primer

Edited by Roca46