Sooo...let's talk combat Typhoons

Ok, so we've got the goods on several of the Typhoons that were used in combat over Lybia. One of the jets has like 56 mission markers on the nose, another has like 30, and so on.. I'd really like to get these out in decal form (eventually) and now we are trrying to figure out the best way to release them.

Should we release them by themselves, or should we couple them ith something else? Or, are we waisting our time?

My feeling is, I think they're cool, there's only 1 or 2 sheets of decals I've ever seen of them that was released a few years ago, and I think the RAF guys need some spotlight in model form. However, that doesn't mean everyone else thinks this way.

Also, are the RoG kit decals any good? Is it worth it for us to release a full data sheet plus the squadron markings?

Can ya give us some feedback?

Thanks!

If you feel the need to couple them with something else, just make a sheet on the theme of aircraft used in the campaign.

Certainly enough different types of aircraft ended up with operation an mission specific markings that you might be able to make a sheet or two.

You could probably finda decent market for a sheet featuring the RAF Typhoons and Tornados alone.

Gents,

I've put a selection of LGB marked RAF Typhoon images from the last couple of months in the research forum. I hope they're of interest.

Gary

I want to release this sheet so bad, it's like acid in my mouth!! Thanks for posting your images to help peak the interest.

Edited by VFA-103guy

If you did these in 1/72, I'd be all over them! :thumbsup:

The RoG Typhoons are pretty tricked out when it comes to stencils, in all scales (1/144, 1/72 1/48 and 1/32). I guess adding more individual aircraft or aircraft types would be the way to go.

Edited by ChernayaAkula

I want to release this sheet so bad, it's like acid in my mouth!! Thanks for posting your images to help peak the interest.

No problem, glad to help. I believe that the complete line up is as below, although I haven't seen or photographed them all;

ZJ916/QO-U 5 LGB marks

ZJ921/QO-H 1 LGB mark

ZJ925/QO-R 2 LGB marks

ZJ927/QO-M 56 LGB marks

ZJ928/BX 1 LGB mark

ZJ919/DC 15 LGB marks

ZJ923/DM 23 LGB marks

ZJ933/DF 36 LGB marks

ZJ935/DJ 8 LGB marks

All are PIRATE fitted FGR4 models and are in standard 3 Sqn marks (QO-*), 29 Sqn marks, (B*) and 11 Sqn marks (D*).

Some, if not all of the others have been photographed here, at Kev's site;

http://milky01.co.uk/

I look forward to seeing the first Operation Ellamy Typhoon!

Gary

If you feel the need to couple them with something else, just make a sheet on the theme of aircraft used in the campaign.

Certainly enough different types of aircraft ended up with operation an mission specific markings that you might be able to make a sheet or two.

You could probably finda decent market for a sheet featuring the RAF Typhoons and Tornados alone.

I second this opinion! :woot.gif:

You could do the Typhoons, Rafales, Super Etendards, Tornados, Hornets and whatever other planes that flew operational missions there.

Of course, it would be nice to have some accurate modern weapons & pods that were used, to put on our aircraft. :pray:

Larry

Ok guys!! I've already got a decent ref collection sarted, and this is what I have so far:

Typhoons:

All the aircraft Gary listed, but we're prolly gonna go with only the top 3 heaviest mission marked jets.

CF-18's:

188797 (I have 4 shots of this jet that were kindly supplied by Sean Martin)

I've sent an email to Derek Hayes to see if he would be willing to contribute some of his pics, so hopefully he will respond soon.

If anyone has any further CF-18 refs, please by all means PM me!

So, let me ask this. If were were just covering the Typhoons ONLY, and the RoG kit comes with decals for the basic squadron markings, if we did a insert with mission markers, serial numbers, and tail codes, kept the price around $7, to suppliment he kit sheet, is that something's you'd be interested in?

Edited by VFA-103guy

I think you have a great idea here Brian but speed is definetly of the essence.

I personally think that the fewer decals that you have to mess with, the better. It cuts down on time and cost to have them drawn up and printed.

As you have said, utlilize what is out there!

In fact, why not market it from the the angle that you know the modeler has access to markings for these squadrons form either the manufacturer of the kit or from the various after market companies out there. So don't bother with them... I know quite often when I'm building a model, I have a whole stash of decals with the main markings. What I'm missing are the additional markings which are particular to the operation.

Market it as an update/supplement sheet which obviously adds the markings not found on the other sheets (namely the mission markings).

I'd also limit the subjects on your release. How about release just the Typhoon and CF-18 on a sheet and (if this goes over well) release a combo Tornado/Rafale sheet or something along those lines next?

If the first sheet sells, it will give you the time to research the next "mini sheet" if you will.

Just a thought

Cheers

John

Regarding the Revell stencils - they're OK but not great in the 1/48th single-seater, better but still not perfect in the twin. The best ones that have been done are the ones by TwoBobs, although they're not 100% perfect as they lack the walkway markings on the upper surface of the wings and the "No Step" marking on the rear fuselage just in front of the fin should be dashed rather than solid. Other than that though, they're pretty much tops.

I'd be up for a sheet if you did one.

Just want to jump on the bandwagon here and express interest in the decals in 1/72nd scale. I have to believe that if you did a 48/72 combo sheet that you could double (maybe) your sales, particularly in the European market where 1/72nd seems to be very popular.

Just want to jump on the bandwagon here and express interest in the decals in 1/72nd scale. I have to believe that if you did a 48/72 combo sheet that you could double (maybe) your sales, particularly in the European market where 1/72nd seems to be very popular.

We are considering this idea and have almost come to the conclusion to do this. My business partner is a 1/72 builder so you know he will want decals. This of course would be IF we did Typhoons only.

My main purpose of this thread was to draw customer feedback and to see what our sheet posibilities could be.

break, break..

Ok moving on to CF-18's....somebody give me the scoop on what decals are currently out there.

We are considering this idea and have almost come to the conclusion to do this. My business partner is a 1/72 builder so you know he will want decals. This of course would be IF we did Typhoons only.

My main purpose of this thread was to draw customer feedback and to see what our sheet posibilities could be.

break, break..

Ok moving on to CF-18's....somebody give me the scoop on what decals are currently out there.

There seems to be a decent selection (mostly from Leading Edge Decals)

Sheet numbers from Leading Edge that I found include:

48-24

48-029

48-036

48-44

48-69

Most of these sheets are also available in 1/72 and 1/32. Now, I realize that someone is gonna jump up and down and point out that some of these sheets are special schemes with special markings. However, I listed them as there may be a jet on the sheet that you can use the serial number for (in case some of the former special marked jets were used over Libya).

Bottom line, it looks like there are plenty of options which you could combine with the proposed Libya operations aircraft.

Hope this helps ya Brian

I think you should put a few different markings like Typhoons, CF-18’s, Rafales, Mirage 2000’s and Mirage F-1’s on one sheet. While not everyone will build every aircraft on the sheet, at least there are a few options for the people who do have most or all the aircraft kits on that sheet.

Personally, I think you should separate the different scales to individual sheets. Not everyone builds all the different scales. If you include 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 all on one sheet then 2/3rds of the decals are useless because I only build in 1/48.

Also, maybe you could include some basic stencils and unit markings as well. If you just include the mission markings, we might have to source another set of decals which might not be available or OOP. Some people buy kits online like ebay and through the buy/sell section and not all kits have the decals so again, personally, I think some basic stencils and unit markings should be provided to eliminate the need to seek out another set of decals.

Just my personal opinions.

Leading Edge has done two EXCELLENT standard markings sheets. But none contain the bomb markings. Also none contain the old school "CANADA" opposed to "Canada" which matters not for the Libyan campaign, but are more for Gulf war 1.

The advantage for you Brian is both standard sheets sold out VERY quickly, and EVERYONE in the states wants to build a Canadian hornet.

Yes you do.

You just won't admit it.

Face it look at a map. Were on top. If this was prison you would be our b#####.

Leading Edge has done two EXCELLENT standard markings sheets. But none contain the bomb markings. Also none contain the old school "CANADA" opposed to "Canada" which matters not for the Libyan campaign, but are more for Gulf war 1.

The advantage for you Brian is both standard sheets sold out VERY quickly, and EVERYONE in the states wants to build a Canadian hornet.

Yes you do.

You just won't admit it.

Face it look at a map. Were on top. If this was prison you would be our b#####.

Hmmm... remind me to flag your account on the Vagabond website to charge you double from here on out... :taunt: