Fist time truck build, need some advice

I recently orderd myself a Peterbilt and a Kenworth truck online, I've always had a "thing" for these US trucks and figured I'd try to make me a cupple.

Now comes the challange, I aint ever done that kinda "car-finish" in my life as I usually build tanks and jet fighters. I got the general paint figured out but still there are some details id' like some help with.

1: I know there is some sort of modell wax that emulates the "turtlewax" i polish my own car with, but I have no idea what it's called or where to get me some.

2: I'd really like some artwork on my trucks, anyone know where I'd might find some decals ?

3: And last is there any dedicated forums and webstores for purchaseing aftermarked items for this kinda builds ?

I believe the wax you are speaking of is called "The Treatment" Model Car Wax. I believe it's just a Caranuba (sp?) based wax. I can't really help you on decals. As far as webstores for purchasing, the only one that I can think of off of the top of my head are these guys.

-Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I use McGuires Scratch X or Novus 3 part polish. Both are plastic polishing compounds that do a nice job giving the paint a nice even finish. I've used Future as a top coat and or regular liquid car wax. I have a bottle of Mothers Carnuba Wax, but Turtle Wax is probably ok.

I would stick to a plain polishing wax, and avoid cleaner waxes which I believe include some mild abrasive additives to give some effect of a polishing compound. Some Turtle Waxes are cleaner waxes so look closely at the label. Anything with carnuba wax is probably a good choice (and smells nice too).

You will probably get wax into the nooks and crannys which will leave a visible residue. A toothbrush and water can help remove this gunk. Don't use dish soap and water though or you will remove the wax you put on. The 1-1 auto detailers often use dish soap to strip off old wax.

Edited by Aaronw
  • 2 months later...

Spaulding has been around for decades and all sorts of items can be had but for decals I go to the source for

direct selection and ordering from them. They make sheets I have been hoping and looking for since building

trucks back in the '70's. www.modeltruckin.com/store/

Waxing can be done, but would need to have decalling done first as they will not stick to a waxed surface.

Plus most truck kits have buttonhead rivets along the cab/hood which will either trap the wax or when

polishing, remove the paint on them. I paint, Future coat, decal, future coat. Trick is to start with a paint that

levels out well, even use a semi or flat coat if you can. Flat is easier to keep thin and covers better. Actually

similar to doing an Aircraft build, except no final flat coat. I even do weathering-especially if doing a fleet service

rig like CF or PIE. Just look through www.hankstruckpictures.com/ for inspiration. And do share with us!

Edited by phasephantomphixer