Army of the Potomac

I am mainly an aircraft guy, hence why I am on this website, BUT, since the whole forum world here has been expanded, I figured I would expand my world in modeling. So, here is the beginning of the Army of the Potomac, June 30, 1863, just before Gettysburg in 10mm. I am using GHQ guys, and thier rules as far as men per stand. In these pictures, one stand of artillery is two cannon. 1 stand of infantry is 75 men.

IMG_0069.jpg

1st Corps, 1st Division, 5th Maine Light Artillery, Sections 1 and 2, section 3 is in the mail.

Up next is the 24th Michigan of the Iron Brigade, 1st Corps, 1st Division, 1st Brigade.

Thanks for looking!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Edited by rightwinger26

Bill,

This is lovely.It is wonderful to see other types of modeling and this genre of build is rarely seen so this is is very differnet

and yet GREAT to see it. :thumbsup:

The base looks good.The figures are pretty impressive especially the guys keeping watch as the cannons are fired...

WELL DONE.. :jaw-dropping:

Looking forward to more of your War dioramas...

HOLMES :salute:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So its been a while, but here are some more completed figures. I got side tracked on numerous other projects. I've completed 4 stands of the 24th Michigan, part of the Iron Brigade, the command stand with the flag bearers and 3 infantry stands. I'll need to make 4 more stands of infantry to complete the 24th. The lone officer represents Brigader General Soloman Merideth, commander 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Corps. When I finish with that I'm going to either start on another regement in the Iron Brigade, or move into the 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Corps and make the 84th New York (Zouaves) to add some color. Either way I'll still be in the 1st Corps.

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

The Artillery was previously made, representing 2 section of the 5th Maine Light

Thanks for looking

Edited by rightwinger26

Looking great! Nice work Bill!

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Thanks Hakan. I still need to spray them with dullcote, you can tell which ones accidentally got acrylic jackets because they are shinny, I didn't realize which bottle of insignia blue I gradded from the drawer till it was too late :D

that would be cool, what regiments were they in? There are pleanty of larger scale opeionts out there. My GG grandfather and his brother enlisted in the 1st Michigan Vol. Inf. 4 days after Fort Sumter as 90 day volunteers, then reenlisted for the duration, finally got discharged in 1866.

Edited by rightwinger26

Great pictures! We have a lot of stuff from the Gwinners, enlistment and discharge papers, one of thier Baratones (they became musicians at some point later in the war), pictures of the whole band they were in and so on. Unfortunatlly my mom has all of it back in Michigan so I can't post pictures, but I do have the Baratone, I'll throw up a picture of it later.

The uniformed picture was in a photo album my Mom was given to her by her dad, I got it and scanned all the photos in it, this was the only picture in uniform, then there was a 2nd one taken about 1912 when he was old and grey.

I'm curious what that pin my be on his chest, it looks like an arm and hammer, but there is no real detail to it, it's not a tear in the photo (this was a paper photo)so it was either a pin or a imperfection in developing the photo, I haven't found and insignia/pin to compare it to.

This Private spent a year in a POW camp(captured at Rancho Las Rinas Tx. June 26, 1864) but escaped and returned to his unit.

The 2nd photo of my other GG-Grandfather was found on-line in a family tree, that's the only picture there was, I have a few of his other brothers who also served in different units, on GG-Uncle looks allot like my immediate Uncle.

I have all of their Civil War Records (all 4 relatives)and have done some research on the Units, just curious to see if they ever fought one another.

1st Texas US was formed in Baton Rouge La. and spent most of it's time there, and back in Texas, 43rd Miss.CS(Pounds Division) were north in upper Miss and Tenn, and did participate at Chickamauga.

Did you ever here of this? Douglas the Camel.

Curt

407166_3038600637613_1040913023_2987027_1020954845_n.jpg

So just a small update, here is the standard bearer for the 84th New York, also called the 14th Brooklyn Milita. I know they wore Chassuer uniforms, but since the closest thing GHQ has is Zouaves with kepi, it'll do. Besides if anyone gets that nitty gritty with critiquing, oh well. I'm still in work on the 24th, three stands to go then I'll be starting the 19th Indiana.

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

Thanks for looking

I haven't gotten too much done lately, I have to finish two stand for the 24th Michgan that are started, just need to do the guns and buttons and things like that, then start the last stand so I can paint and turf the bases and they are finished. The command stand for the 14th Brooklyn is almost done, just needs the drummer. That diplay base I'm working on is actually from a game system called Fire and Fury, that is the back side of Little Round Top, I chose that 1x2 section cause it is flat open except for a few trees, and there is a protion of creek, hill and plenty of roads, so a little mix of everything

IMG_0150.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• 3 months later...

So I took some time off this project for some others that were more pressing, but I finally finished the 24th Michigan.

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Next up, I'm going to paint the lst section of the 5th Maine Light Artillery, then its on to the 14th Brooklyn Chassuers

Edited by rightwinger26

ill,

Looking like a Artillery ready to go fight and kiss/KICK A**.. ... now that you have done more on the diorama such as the grass etc...

I think it is looking just great and so very good.They look wonderful in their poses...

Keep it coming..Nice to see builds other jets as I have stipulated before. :nanner::banana:

...aand Curt,, Those photos and history behind them must be extraordinary. Thank you for showing them to us .. :salute:

Edited by HOLMES

Just a quick update, these are now where near being done, but I hadn't put anything up on this thread for a bit. These guys are going to become the 84th New York, also know as the 14th Brooklyn Milita, part of Lysander Cutlers Second Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Corps

IMG_0260.jpg

After I finish these two stands there are three more to go, 15 more soldiers.

Thanks for looking

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a quick update, I just received some more "troops" for my "army"

On the right the single cannon will turn into the the last section of Battery B 5th Maine Light. Ont the left the two guns will be the two sections of the 4 gun battery of three inch ordinance rifles of Battery B 1st Pennsylvania Light commanded by Captain James H. Cooper.

2be04dff.jpg

Thanks for looking

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

So here is another photo, I've been working on the diorama lately, as you can see the fences are moving along, the creek ( which you can't see) is about half way done. This is actually part of the Gettysburg battlefield, the next portion will reveal what part, until then it's a mystery.

I think I like the darker photo better, but it's a little shaky.

53a3be44.jpg

11358457.jpg

Opinions are by much welcome, thanks for looking!

Bill

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since my last update on this project, but, as said before this is a long term, side project of sorts. I actually have quite a bit more dome than I am showing, there are two more batteries of artillery that are only awaiting stands, and I just finished putting primer on the famous 6th Wisconsin, commanded by Rufus Dawes. This picture is of my most recently finished product, the command stand for the 84th New York (14th Brooklyn Militia) of the Second Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Corps. The Regimental commander was Col. Edward B. Fowler. They wore uniforms modeled after French Chasseurs, very hard to replicate in 15mm, but fun non the less.

39064e4faf13d59a01ae3169daf00c38.jpg

d9a875c613ff04b537792e4602a81a15.jpg

d8e081c14506bd6cbd845162d2c83bb1.jpg

25fceaafdf0c2550a7d3fc17cd87892f.jpg

Thanks for looking guys!!!!

Bill