Army of the Potomac

• 2 months later...

So here is an update, long over due. This is the 84th New York Volunteer Infantry (14th Brooklyn Militia), commanded by LtCol Edward B. Folwer, of the 2nd brigade commanded by Lysander Cutler of the 1st Corps.

1d87ff3522201fd7aae674c348967926.jpg

6ea86308e4dbc0040e89deb148b8fa05.jpg

Next up is the 6th Wisconsin of the Iron Brigade. I'll be doing some surgery to the color bearer to represent the Regiments CO, LtCol Rufus Dawes. During the first days fighting, the 6th became hotly engaged trying to capture the Railroad Cut. They lost 8 color bearers (if I remember right) with the final one being Colonel Dawes. Afterwards he had a great military career, and civilian life.

Thanks for looking

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice comments Holmes. This is going to be a LONG project. The Army of the Potomac had 52 brigades before Gettysburg (give or take a few, I don't have the numbers in front of me), each averaging roughly four regiments, so that is a LOT of 10mm soldiers. And that isn't even counting the artillery and cavalry. I would love to make the Army of Northern Virginia of the same date, but time will tell if that will ever happen. The American Civil War is a huge passion of mine, my great great grandfather and his brother enlisted in the 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry, as part of Lincolns original call for 75,000 volunteers. When their enlistment ran out in August 1861 they reenlisted for the duration, and were mustered out of service in 1866. After that they went back to Michigan to tend the family farm, Briarwood Farm, the family house is still on Scio Church Road, and Briarwood Mall stands on part of the original farms grounds. Thanks for looking though!

Bill

Edited by rightwinger26
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...