Trumpeter J-11B Flanker

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are no hydraulic arms for the wheel bay doors in this kit?

No - in that respect it is quite simplified - but it is (relatively) cheap.....

I rather have the basics at a reasonable price than a really sophisticated kit that charges mega bucks (Hassegawa Su-33 anyone ??).

What you do get is a spare K-36 ejection seat, extra stabilisers, a spare radome and a Su-27 style instrument panel.

Oh! - and LOADS of weapons.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Ken, can you please elaborate on the differences in the pylons between the J-11B and Su-27. I was looking at the Trumpeter J-11B kit on sprue tree M and trying to tell if there was a chance of using the pylons (parts 5,7 and 9) as they look very much like Su-27 pylons. What are the differences?

Looks good ! Thanks for the quick review Ken ! I might finally be able to 'retire' my Hasegawa kit (which i thought was pretty good until i read the big inaccuracy problem about the distance between both engines being wrong on this forum, thus the whole fuselage shape.. It's true i had also never measured or compared the kit to any blueprint, and didn't own any other SU-27 (i sold my Academy kit a long while ago) so i had not noticed the problems until relatively recently) and i had paid that kit at a very high price back then.

Stephane.

Email: stratospheremodels@yahoo.fr

Edited by Stratospheremodels

Ken, can you please elaborate on the differences in the pylons between the J-11B and Su-27. I was looking at the Trumpeter J-11B kit on sprue tree M and trying to tell if there was a chance of using the pylons (parts 5,7 and 9) as they look very much like Su-27 pylons. What are the differences?

Jason,

They ARE Su-27 pylons...........

J-11b%20062.jpg

I'm no expert on the J-11, but it looks like the basic pylons are the same as the Su-27 - certainly the basic J-11 is the same.

Where the J-11B differs is in the wingtip pylons - they are extended downwards to accomodate the fins on the Python-derived PL-8 missile.

So Trumpeter provide two sprues of pylons - plus four sprues of missiles - and these contain the adaptor rails for the underwing PL-8 and PL-12.....

J-11b%20063.jpg

So you could build a Su-27 from the J-11B using the kit pylons - but you would have to replace the kit wingtip pylons - and provide your own missiles - as well as a couple of other minor changes.

But - why not wait until Trumpeter releases a Su-27 anyway.

HTH.....??

Ken

PS - Note also that Trumpeter incorrectly show 12 pylons (with 3 under each wing - not counting the wingtip) - the J-11B only has two pylons per underwing - same as a 'standard' Su-27 - making a total of 10.

So don't fit the inner underwing pylons - to neither the J-11B or a Su-27.

Sorry to have to disagree with you Ken, but I think your old age is affecting your eyesight. Because no matter how I see it the sprue in the J-11B only contains chinese specific rails. The Pylon stubs might be correct but none of the rails are the russian ones.

For starters there's no APU-73 rail which usually hangs on the outer wing pylons. Instead the J-11B instructions have you use Pieces 9 and 10, which look like APU-470 but aren't. This chinese rails have the middle section higher whereas the russian APU-470 is a single thin rail, with both pylons stubs on top and a little hump on the rear section.

As for pieces 5 to 8, they don't even look remotely like AKU-470s or even attach to the pylon stubs like their russian counterparts.

As for 3&4 they look like the amorphous plastic blobs that trumpeter tries to pass as AKU-470 in their 1/32 kit but now downsized to 1/72.

Hope Zactoman won't get angry for using his pics for this comparison

capturekis.jpg

Edited by Inquisitor

Sorry to have to disagree with you Ken, but I think your old age is affecting your eyesight.

You're right about old age and the eyesight...... :woot.gif:

I never said the Trumpeter J-11B rails were accurate........ :whistle::rolleyes: - just that they were the same as a Su-27's.

I still think the rails on the real Su-27 and J-11B are the same - why would they differ ??

The J-11B has adaptors and a different wingtip rail for the Chinese-specific missiles, but I suspect the base rails are the same (or should be!).

Be interesting to see what the rails are like on Trumpeter's promised Su-27/Su-27UB.

I could be wrong (it has been known!! - and it is getting more frequent!!! :crying2: ) - be interesting to compare the real J-11B pylons with the Russian ones - Deino ????

I wish I'd taken more walkround pics of the J-11 at Xiaotangshan ....... :doh: I've just got one closeup showing the APU-470 mount.

Ken :cheers:

Are the ICM pylons accurate? The same pylons and weapons included in both their Su-27 and in the stand-alone Soviet Air-to-Air Aircraft Armament (Art.: 72212 - CLICK). I've compared them once to the J-11B's pylons and they're rather different. And how about Hasegawa's Su-33?

Edited by ChernayaAkula

I'm convert J-11B to Su-27 of middle productional bathces now and use ICM set. Biggest problem - in this set include only one sprue from Su-27 model with missiles and pylon. As going to make full armed aircraft - so i need two sprues - two sets.

About accuracy - yes, this pylons look good and this is really Russian pylons for Su-27, not Chinese as in Trumpeter model.

Edited by kotey

My set content one box with one plastic bag, which content one instruction sheet and one sprue.

I'm get another one sprue from ICM Su-27 model, as i'm make Trumpeter Su-27 - actually i havn't plans make other Su-27's from ICM.

My set content one box with one plastic bag, which content one instruction sheet and one sprue.

I'm get another one sprue from ICM Su-27 model, as i'm make Trumpeter Su-27 - actually i havn't plans make other Su-27's from ICM.

Then contact ICM or where you bought it to get a replacement. The ICM 1/72 Soviet Air-to-Air Aircraft Armament should have 2 (two) sprues in the box. With a total of around 6 of each missile and 4-6 of each rail.

Edited by Inquisitor

Meanwhile, back to my question........

Are the pylons on the Shenyang J-11 and J-11B different from those on the Sukhoi Su-27.

Forget about adaptor rails, or what they look like in the Trumpeter J-11B kit - I'm talking about the real thing here.

Are they different ??? - can we nail this down??

Lets have some photos of same - I'll dig out what I've got....

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • 2 weeks later...

On the strength of this thread, I picked up the last J-11 at Hobby Emporium in Tyngsboro MA this weekend. I've got the ICM pylons/weapons so it will be an OOTB Russian bird, or as close as I can manage with the bits on hand

Nice little kit. Much better in quality and fit than the Hobby Boss easy builder kits, not quite Hasegawa guality, but not Hase $$ either.

Other than the lower fuselage 'rudder-ettes?' ?? the fit has been really quite nice.

I'll be fitting the ICM pylons to the lower fuselage today.

On an unrelated note, anyone want ot buy a modern chinese a/a missle and pylon set?

Mike

Bogged down a bit, life getting in the way even on vacation.

Got the pylons painted, sludge washed, and futured. I hope to try the fit of the Begemot pylon decals tomorrow.

Tonight I'll paint the interior and keep waiting for the Eduard Zoom cockpit etch. Hopefully the set for the ICM su-27 fits reasonably well.

Intakes went on fine, and the interior engine bits are painted. I've left the intake ramps down as shown in the instructions, but cutting them to fit otherwise would not be difficult.

Anyone got a spare copy of the Verlinden Su-27 Lock-on book they're willing to part with?

Mike