Trumpeter J-11B Flanker

Thanks to my mate Jon, I managed to acquire the Trumpeter J-11B kit at Telford......

Here's a quick look......

Boxart.....

J-11b%20001.jpg

Fuselage upper and lower halves....

J-11b%20002.jpg

The wheelbays are set at a strange angle - they should be parallel to the fuselage datum.

Not a show-stopper, IMO - note the moulding 'spigot' on the wing - there are a few of them that need to be removed.

J-11b%20003.jpg

Main sprue -

J-11b%20004.jpg

The kit has 2 X radomes, ejection seats, intrument panels and 2 X sets of tailplanes.....

J-11b%20005.jpg

Missiles sprue (4 of) and pylons sprue (2 of).

The missiles comprise 8 X PL-12, 8 X PL-21 (shown as PL-13(?) on the colour guide), 4 X PL-11, 4 X PL-8 and 4 X PL-10.

The pylons are unique to the J-11B.......

J-11b%20006.jpg

Each fin is moulded in one piece - with the tailplane actuator cover integral, so you can't have the tailplanes drooped without some work.

The leading edge root intakes are also solid - and the same size :woot.gif:

J-11b%20007.jpg

The canopy and windscreen are separate - and look to be a good shape.

There is a moulding seam along the top of the canopy and the clear sprue includes the nosewheel landing lights, a HUD and what I think is a repeater HUD for the two-seater (not used in this version)....

J-11b%20008.jpg

The two extra nozzles are for the J-11B-specific WS-10 engines - and are very good.....

J-11b%20009.jpg

Ken

More....

The decals sheets are well printed and comprehensive.

Markings are included for two primer-painted prototypes plus an operational machine - with extra numbers to make a few of them. :thumbsup:

The other sheet is for missile and pylon stencils....

J-11b%20010.jpg

An additional decal sheet is included for the J-11B instrument panels and chaff/flare dispensers.....

J-11b%20011.jpg

The two instrument panels on the sprue are for a Su-27 (left) and J-11B (right) - the raised detail will need to be sanded off to use the decals......

J-11b%20012.jpg

The cockpit tub is very simplified - but with the decals, in this scale, should look OK...

J-11b%20013.jpg

The mainwheels are OK - but lack the cooling holes in the hub......

J-11b%20014.jpg

The K-36 ejection seats are also OK (the telescopic arms are a separate).....

J-11b%20015.jpg

The J-11B-specific radome has the distinct strengthening/lightning(?) strips correctly portrayed....

J-11b%20016.jpg

The nozzles for the AL-31F-powered Su-27 are not as detailed as the WS-10 nozzles.....but are OK-ish.

J-11b%20017.jpg

The anti-FOD mesh grilles are moulded solid :woot.gif:

J-11b%20018.jpg

Ken

Thanks to my mate Jon, I managed to acquire the Trumpeter J-11B kit at Telford......

Here's a quick look......

Boxart.....

J-11b%20001.jpg

Fuselage upper and lower halves....

J-11b%20002.jpg

The wheelbays are set at a strange angle - they should be parallel to the fuselage datum.

Not a show-stopper, IMO - note the moulding 'spigot' on the wing - there are a few of them that need to be removed.

J-11b%20003.jpg

Main sprue -

J-11b%20004.jpg

The kit has 2 X radomes, ejection seats, intrument panels and 2 X sets of tailplanes.....

J-11b%20005.jpg

Missiles sprue (4 of) and pylons sprue (2 of).

The missiles comprise 8 X PL-12, 8 X PL-21 (shown as PL-13(?) on the colour guide), 4 X PL-11, 4 X PL-8 and 4 X PL-10.

The pylons are unique to the J-11B.......

J-11b%20006.jpg

Each fin is moulded in one piece - with the tailplane actuator cover integral, so you can't have the tailplanes drooped without some work.

The leading edge root intakes are also solid - and the same size :woot.gif:

J-11b%20007.jpg

The canopy and windscreen are separate - and look to be a good shape.

There is a moulding seam along the top of the canopy and the clear sprue includes the nosewheel landing lights, a HUD and what I think is a repeater HUD for the two-seater (not used in this version)....

J-11b%20008.jpg

The two extra nozzles are for the J-11B-specific WS-10 engines - and are very good.....

J-11b%20009.jpg

Ken

Ken,

I have seen that the canopy is considered to be alittle narrow towards the front. Was kinda wondering how well the neomega vac formed canopy would fit from the resin icm fusalage set? Have you or anyone else seen it in person and know if it has good shape, I saw the resin set came with 2? Just a thought?

Brett,

Last bit.....

The colour guides give Mr Hobby, Vellejo, Model Master, Tamiya and Humbrol paint matches (where appropriate)....

This is the operational machine.....

J-11b%20019.jpg

.... and the prototype......

J-11b%20020.jpg

The missile and pylons decal placement guide......

J-11b%20021.jpg

.... and the instruction booklet.....

J-11b%20022.jpg

I am chuffed with this new kit from Trumpeter - they seem to have got it right !!!! :woot.gif::worship: :worship:

It looks as though it is produced down to a price (although I don't know what it will sell for in the UK - but the omens are good)

It is simplified in some areas - but it appears to be accurate at last :thumbsup:

Although parts are included on the sprue for a Su-27 (radome & Nozzles) - you can't make one from this boxing because of the pylons.

As I understand it, Trumpeter are going to release the following versions of the Flanker.....

Early Su-27 - with straight-topped fin and early style tailboom

A standard Su-27

A tandem-two-seat Su-27UB

And this J-11B.

Hats off to Trumpeter !!!!

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Thanks for posting !!! Could You add just some close ups of the wings, fuselage and other parts in regard to the panel-lines !??

Besides that ...

This is the operational machine.....

... like I said in the other tread the aircraft shown for the decals (no. 10320) is a bird from the 1. Fighter Division / 1. Air Regiment based at Anshan, which is actually a Lot 00 (2008) aircraft not powered by the WS-10A, but by the regular AL-31F.

If You want to build a TH-powered J-11B late production model, then You need to build one from the following units:

Lot 01 (2010) - 30. Fighter Division / 89. Regiment at Datong-Pulandian - 40x1x-numbers (PLAAF)

Lot 02 (2010/11) - 19. Fighter Division / 57. Regiment at Zhengzhou - 31x0x-numbers (PLAAF)

Lot 03 (2010/11) - 8. Fighter Division / 24th Regiment at Jialaishi - 81x8x-numbers (PLANAF)... this is a naval J-11BH

Lot 04 (2011) - 37. Fighter Division / 111. Regiment at Korla - 41x8x-numbers (PLAAF)

Cheers, Deino

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=235096&view=findpost&p=2285430

Think I'll wait for the other variants as I am more interested in actual Su-27's schemes as opposed to J-11's. Lord knows I've bought enough decal sheets for Su-27's waiting for these kits to be released. As a side note, how close are the PL-8 missiles to an Israeli Python missile, they look very similar.

This kit looks to be worth the cost if not simply for the weapons alone. Nice cache of AAM's there! :woot.gif:

Oh, and thanks much for the review Ken!

Edited by JasonW

I've just realised.......

If you take one Hasegawa Su-33 and add the WS-10 nozzles and wingtip launch rails from the Trumpeter J-11B........

.... you can make a PLAN J-15 :thumbsup:

The WS-10 nozzles will fit the Su-33...... :worship:

I think I have just wet myself....... :rolleyes::whistle:

Ken

Thanks for posting !!! Could You add just some close ups of the wings, fuselage and other parts in regard to the panel-lines !??

Will do........

Dieno, re the Combat Aircraft mag - is it the November or December issue ????

Also..... the Trumpeter instructions paint call out for the cockpit is Matt Black - for everything. :woot.gif:

The decals take care of the side consoles and front panel - and the K-36 seat and control column are black - but the floor and rear decking ????

Any good cockpit photos anyone ???

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Dieno, re the Combat Aircraft mag - is it the November or December issue ????

Also..... the Trumpeter instructions paint call out for the cockpit is Matt Black - for everything. :woot.gif:

The decals take care of the side consoles and front panel - and the K-36 seat and control column are black - but the floor and rear decking ????

Any good cockpit photos anyone ???

Ken

Thanks Ken, ... it's in the current December issue (http://ch-de.zinio.com/reader.jsp?o=int&offer=500352857&pub=500598831&prev=sub)

But like I said, there's an error regarding one base and one regiment is wrong since there was a lot of confusion when I prepared that report. :bandhead2:

Regarding the cockpit photos ... You need one of the Chinese "B" !?

try this one http://cnair.top81.cn/fighter/J-11B_cockpit1.jpg ... and IMO it really looks more black than in a Russian bird !?

Cheers, Deino

Edited by Deino

Thanks Ken, ... it's in the current December issue

Thanks - I'll pick up a copy....

Regarding the cockpit photos ... You need one of the Chinese "B" !?

try this one http://cnair.top81.cn/fighter/J-11B_cockpit1.jpg ... and IMO it really looks more black than in a Russian bird !?

Cheers, Deino

Thanks for that - I'll go with Trumpeters recommendation.... :thumbsup:

Meanwhile......

The kit K-36 ejection seat is passable - NeOmega resin version at right........

J-11b%20023.jpg

Panel detail closeups as promised.......

Fin.....

J-11b%20024.jpg

Tailplane/stabiliser.... (note the raised moulding 'spigot' on both of these parts)...

The chordwise panel line deliniating the strengthening plate is the only difference between the two sets of tailplanes!

J-11b%20025.jpg

Intake....

J-11b%20026.jpg

Forward fuselage - another 'spigot'....

J-11b%20027.jpg

Top fuselage - spigots (white dots) at front and rear of spine and on wings.

Note also the slight moulding sink marks in front of the flaperon outer edge (near the wingtips) and the strange flow pattern at the slat root join :woot.gif:

J-11b%20028.jpg

None of these are critical - I'm just pointing them out.

Ken

I'm really interested in seeing comparisons with the Airfix/ICM kit. The wheel wells look like they're a pig, but they might be correctable. That's the biggest issue I can see from looking at the photos.

It looks like at least three Trumpeter Flankers are somewhere in my future.

Thanks for the review, Ken! :cheers:

Actually, this doesn't look much like a kit of a J-11B, but rather a "Modern PLAAF Missiles" weapon set, supplying a free Flanker kit as a display stand for the AAMs. :thumbsup:

What would I need to change beside adding the pylons and AAMs from ICM's Flanker kit or their stand-alone AAM/pylon set (containing the same sprues as their Flanker kits) to make a "proper" Su-27?

What would I need to change beside adding the pylons and AAMs from ICM's Flanker kit or their stand-alone AAM/pylon set (containing the same sprues as their Flanker kits) to make a "proper" Su-27?

You would need some cockpit decals - the tub just has flat sides so you'd need to tart it up.

There are two front instrument panel parts in the kit - the J-11B version has raised squares for the MFD screens, but there is a plain, flat Su-27 panel included.

I expect they'll have appropriate decals for the panels in the promised Su-27 kit.

The only other mod I can see so far is the removal of the small RWR aerials moulded into the tailboom sides - a few slices with the craft knife and its done....

Same with the aerial array on the fin trailing edge - probably need to change that as well.

They are releasing a Su-27 anyway - but if you can't wait - it should be an easy 'conversion' :thumbsup:

I've started the build - over on the 'In Progress' forum here.

Happy Flankering :banana:

Ken

Picked up my Flanker from Customs today. Looks great! :woo:

Was surprised to see that it offers a separate air brake, but the instructions don't mention a deployed air brake. Sprue A has two parts (A38 and A39) that don't show up in the parts diagram, but look like hydraulic actuators that could be for the air brake. One is slightly less than a cm longer than the other one. Different angles of the air brake on different Flanker Flavours? :unsure:

Picked up my Flanker from Customs today. Looks great! :woo:

Congratulations - let us know what you think..... :thumbsup:

Was surprised to see that it offers a separate air brake, but the instructions don't mention a deployed air brake. Sprue A has two parts (A38 and A39) that don't show up in the parts diagram, but look like hydraulic actuators that could be for the air brake. One is slightly less than a cm longer than the other one. Different angles of the air brake on different Flanker Flavours? :unsure:

I do wish the kit makers wouldn't have separate airbrakes - none of them fit flush when closed and it is just so much extra work to fill and sand them flush :bandhead2:

I know the feature is nice to have - but most photos of Flankers show them closed - and it spoils the gracious curved line to have them open.

I must admit I hadn't noticed the two actuating rams in Trumpeters J-11B kit (I stuck my airbrake closed) - but I suspect one is for the single seater, the other for the promised two-seat Su-27UB kit.

The airbrakes are different sizes and shapes between the single and two-seater - so I suspect Trumpeter have included both rams on the same sprue.

They also include two K-36 ejection seats & control columns for the same reason.

Lots of spare parts to be had from this kit - especially the pylons and missiles. :banana:

Ken