After some months distracted by other ideas, that's my last built.

A New Zealand A-4K, from an Hasegawa A-4E, almost straight from the box except for the True Detail seat and some scratchbuilt here and there.

Inspiration for this model came a long time ago, from the editor of another most popular modeller site (thanks Brett!).

Since then, I've always had the desire to show in my cabinet a Skyhawk in one of the most eyecatching camouflage I ever seen (my personal opinion).

I'm aware that my model can not afford the examination of a really RNZAF experten, I've taken some "poetical license" in decal use, but... you know... from this side of the world I hope to not find such a huge mass of experten! I like my model, I've had a lot of hours of relaxing modeling and this is what count for me.

Paint are Gunze and Tamiya acrilycs, while markings are a mix of Hasegawa, Gekkographics and... paint.

All critics will be really welcome (please, don't push too hard, RNZAF experten!)

Apologize for the model location, I will update the post with another shot, with a proper background as soon as available.

Last (and obvious) words just to underline how good the Hasegawa Skyhawk still is. A relaxing, fun and friendly kit, with a lot of space for extra detailing or just a simple build to make peace with the hobby, after a frustrating project!

And now, a Wingnut Wings Albatros is waiting for me.... :-))

Cheers,

Paolo

IMG_9871.jpg

IMG_9869.jpg

A-4K-mio-ngopp.jpg

IMG_9866.jpg

IMG_9875.jpg

Very nice build of this great little Scooter. The paint job looks good, great details and weathering. The only thing I can come up with is the exhaust, you can see a small seem on it.

Nevertheless much better than my RNZAF scooter :D

Cheers, Evert

Coming from a Kiwi, you have done a great job on your scooter. I have seen many of these aircraft up close so can safely say you have got this pretty accurate - especially the scheme. well done

It really looks fantastic :thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity; how do you tell it's a pre-Kahu?

Any query, your model makes me want to build a RNZAF Scooter. Where can I get the Gekko Graphics decal sets (both set1 & set2)? I tried Flightdecs but no response from them yet.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

I can only repeat what others have said including several of my countrymen, that is a super scooter in what is possibly my favourite scheme & I reckon you've caught the look of it to a TEE. I'd be happy to use your build as a reference for one of my own one of these days. :thumbsup2:

Steve.

• 3 months later...

Well I used to work on them (post Kahu in the mid - late '90s), and it looks pretty spot on to me. Very good colours - what paints did you use? I have a couple of Hasegawa A4s to build 'one day' and I'd be keen to know.

The only little point I'd make is that I don't think you'd have seen a CATM-9L on a pre kahu aircraft, but I'm not 100% sure on that, we may have replaced the older CATM's (G models) while some aircraft had been through the conversion and some hadn't. The deal for the Lima was signed in 86, but I don't have a date that we took delivery.

As for the question above about how to tell the difference between pre and post Kahu:

No 1 was post Kahu there was no hump. Of course the ex RAN Gs we got in 84 didn't have humps, so that complicates things a little in the late 80s when they all wore the Euro 1 scheme.

The next give away is the two VOR/ILS antenna on either side of the tail post Kahu, the antenna just behind the cockpit (it's raked back post Kahu) and of course the HUD that is visable.

Under the wingtips and either side of the exhaust are RWR antenna, plus a couple of other antenna are different too, (TACAN might have been moved). There are two AN/ALE 39 dispenser housings just aft of the aft hell hole on the post Kahu aircraft, although 90% of the time these are fitted with blanks so aren't that obvious.