USAF Ground Equipment colour

According to UKPonchoMan the colour should be FS 24052

After checking the FS colourchips manual not me but an friend found 2 possible colours which could be the colour to use.

These are: Humbrol 108 0r Humbrol 75

I very much need the best colour as I have to paint loads of ground equipment for my diorama set for 80's and 90's

101003-F-QP495-001.jpg

USAF Photo

080427-F-8078V-066.jpg

USAF Photo

TIA

Edited by Eric2020

Eric - have a look on.....

http://www.paint4models.com/paintchart/paintconversionchart20100101c.html#

and search for all three versions 14052 (gloss), 24052 (eggshell) and 34052 (matt) until you find a paint manufacturer you can get hold of.

I use Xtracolor paint X109 Marine Corps green for my ground equipment and apply a suitable varnish.

Cheers,

Haydn.

PS And please post pictures of your diorama when it's finished !

Edited by mig23

According to UKPonchoMan the colour should be FS 24052

After checking the FS colourchips manual not me but an friend found 2 possible colours which could be the colour to use.

These are: Humbrol 108 0r Humbrol 75

I very much need the best colour as I have to paint loads of ground equipment for my diorama set for 80's and 90's

Some time ago a fellow who worked on AGE (Aerospace Ground Equipment) in the USAF told me it was painted 34079 dark green. That can fade to different shades, but in the photo of the AGE by the B-2 above it sure looks like 34079 to me. fwiw.

Scott W.

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Thanks for the help!! I have not yet decided which colour the AGE will become

so far I have found already the mentioned colours Humbrol 75 or 108.

found FS 34052 to be Humbrol 91

an friend of mine checked on the colur as well and found the colour the same scott tells me to use. Which is 34079 and that wold be Humbrol 116

I think my best bet will be to use Humbrol 116 as I know that colour from the SEA scheme and I have 2 people comming up with the same colour as an source.

Hi Eric,

Apologies for not replying to your email - I've been flat out with work and other stuff and haven't had much time for anything else...

Re the AGE colouring, MIL-HDBK-808 "Finishing Schemes for Ground Support Equipment" states it to be FS24052. This document is dated 1996 so it is quite possible that Vietnam era AGE was painted a different colour, although I don't have references for this (mig23 might be able to help here).

At some point, a lot of the newer equipment started to be painted grey, but some of the Gulf and Iraqi/Afghanistan based stuff was painted sand.

For FS34079, Humbrol 116 is the correct match.

There is no direct Humbrol match for FS34052, the closest is 5 parts Humbrol 91 mixed with 2 parts Humbrol 75 and 2 parts Humbrol 108

Regards,

Chris

Hi Eric,

Apologies for not replying to your email - I've been flat out with work and other stuff and haven't had much time for anything else...

Re the AGE colouring, MIL-HDBK-808 "Finishing Schemes for Ground Support Equipment" states it to be FS24052. This document is dated 1996 so it is quite possible that Vietnam era AGE was painted a different colour, although I don't have references for this (mig23 might be able to help here).

At some point, a lot of the newer equipment started to be painted grey, but some of the Gulf and Iraqi/Afghanistan based stuff was painted sand.

For FS34079, Humbrol 116 is the correct match.

There is no direct Humbrol match for FS34052, the closest is 5 parts Humbrol 91 mixed with 2 parts Humbrol 75 and 2 parts Humbrol 108

Regards,

Chris

Actually Vietnam-era AGE was yellow. They didn't start painting the equipment dark green until after the SEA conflict. And to clarify, I was told 34079 some time ago, but how do I know if the guy was just guessing? I know photos can have color variation depending on a lot of variables, but I'd still suggest trying to match what you see in photos of AGE in the era you are modeling fairly closely. If it appears to be closer to 24052 or to 34079, go for whichever looks right to you. FWIW, in the 80s it appears to have been 34079. Here's two photos I took at Ramstein in the 1980s. Note how the ground equipment color matches the 34079 on the jets. That's certainly not to say they didn't change the color AGE was painted sometime afterwards.

68-0401RamsteinOctober221983ScottRWilson.jpg

68-0445RamsteinSept191985ScottRWilson.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Thanks Scott!! Stunnig Pics also!! I have seen several RS Phantoms in the 80's and that brings back sweet memories! I cannot see the colours very well so there for need confirmation on what is best to use. I have seen USAF AGE, but cannot make out what is best. Tried over the years to get it looking good as I used revell paints, but does not come close. I use humbrol, because that is more accurate paint to use, and for SEA i can make out the colours, but have killing time when I need to paint european one on an A-10 or F-4.

Knowing how the USAF is working with their equipment its most of the time in perfect condition and that can be seen on many pics around the net as well. Vading is not an problem and is perfect for diorama setting. I can make it bit gloss or matt, that not an issue. baseline is it needs to be painted (airbrushed) in the best possible colour.

It appears to me that 34079 is still the standard, though there is some deviation. Some equipment does get faded out to a more pale color.

B809A-72WGeneratorDyessAFBMay081.jpg

And even lighting can change the color. Same piece of GSE, same day, different angle.

SGNSCHollomanDec072.jpg

SGNSCHollomanDec073.jpg

This probably started out as 34079, but the desert sun has faded it to something like 34097.

A-M32A-60BGeneratorSetHollomanDe-2.jpg

These items are used at the Peterson AFB museum. Who knows when the last time they were painted.

AircraftmaintenancestandsPetersonAFBAug082-Copy.jpg

Pictures from the only flight line I get access to !

DSCN0344.jpg

003-3.jpg

DSCN0983.jpg

I know, I know we shouldn't use models as reference but I'm just trying to show the slight difference you get when using FS 24052 on AGE compared to the 34079 in the SEA/Euro-1 scheme. I included that last shot of the EC-130E because I used 34052 on that because it seemed to better match the very dark green that started showing up on some the 'Transport' Euro-1 painted aircraft.

From what I've found the yellow painted AGE gave way to an almost olive drab (possibly FS 34088) as USAFE bases started to tone down their facilities and equipment but this was later on replaced by a much darker green - 24052 according to manuals I've seen on AGE and Fuel truck/Crash vehicle painting. Now it all appears to be going grey FS 26173.

Hope this helps !

Haydn.

Soo....

Up to and including Vietnam era - FS13538

Post-Vietnam - FS24079 (I'm assuming this would be sstin rather than matt?)

Mid-'80s onwards - FS24052

Gulf War - FS33531 Sand

Current - FS26173

Edited by UKPonchoMan

I think that would be about the right colours. Satin is I think better to work with on AGE giving the chiefs hands are grease when working around the aircraft. The sand colour I'm not fully sure which to use. Did an quick search for Desert sand and found this:

Humbrol 250 "Matt Desert Sand" is a perfect match for FS30279.

I think that would be about the right colours. Satin is I think better to work with on AGE giving the chiefs hands are grease when working around the aircraft. The sand colour I'm not fully sure which to use. Did an quick search for Desert sand and found this:

Humbrol 250 "Matt Desert Sand" is a perfect match for FS30279.

I believe the sand color is 33531, which is the same color used for current U.S. armor. I have seen very few pieces of equipment painted sand, but have seen the gray start to show up.

I believe the sand color is 33531, which is the same color used for current U.S. armor. I have seen very few pieces of equipment painted sand, but have seen the gray start to show up.

That's the colour I used for the step van in these pics (it seems to match equipment painted for Desert Shield/Desert Storm)....

http://www.usaf-sig.org/Forum/index.php?topic=147.0

Cheers,

Haydn.