Early USMC AV-8B Harrier II

Hello my friends,

I just completed my first Harrier in 1/32nd scale, using the Trumpeter kit, resin cockpit and front wheel bay from Aires, etched details from Eduard, vinyl MDC from Orion... and many more adds by myself.

I hope you like her, because I'm really happy with the final result... and others 1/32 Harriers will came!

AV1.jpg

AV2.jpg

AV3.jpg

AV4.jpg

AV5.jpg

AV6.jpg

AV7.jpg

AV8.jpg

AV9.jpg

AV10.jpg

CIAO!

Piero

This is a VERY impressive build! I followed your on line build on Brit Modeler, and I saved the link in my favorites for a reference for my current build. Glad to see that you fixed the pylons, as well as adding additional rivet detail. For a 1/32 scale kit, this one is lacking in detail and accuracy BADLY. Your build is an inspiration!

Quick question: What decals did you use for the panel number stencils?

Thanks for sharing!

John M.

Hello,

first I would like to thanks for all your compliments on my AV-8B model.

Now some answers to your questions.

“… I am pretty impressed by the paint job of the explosive cord of the canopy. How did you manage to do that ?...â€

It’s not painted, its vinyl printed by Orion.

“… I can't believe how many negative comments I have heard about this kit but all I have seen of the built ones are wonderful awesome replicas…â€

I agree, the kit is not perfect with some issue in shapes or missing things, but nothing you can’t handle with a good modeling’s skill.

“…Did you rework the main wheels, they look different from the kit ones(that really are poor)…â€

Yes, the front undercarriage leg is poor in details and with some issue in shape and attitude. But as I said, it can be fixed with some styrene in a couple of hours. Same for the wheels.

“…Those Sidewinders, are they in-kit ones?...â€

No, weapons came from Academy’s F/A-18D kit.

“…How was the Trumpy kit in terms of fitting?...â€

Fitting is not the problem with this kit…

“…Quick question: What decals did you use for the panel number stencils?...â€

They came from a sheet for F-15E or Phantom… don’t remember at the moment.

“…(got any plans for a GR-1, that'd be nice, at this standard)…â€

Revell kit is too poor for me…

CIAO!

Piero