Tamiya mustang 1/32 Sweet Arlene in progress

http://s3.amazonaws.com/fineartofdecalsimages/PYND32003.jpg

The model is a gem for the most part no filler will be needed and everything aligns nicely I did use a drop of filler on the bottom intake portion not much. The cowl panels do leave a slight gap which will be problem with this aircraft as the sweet arlene over laps a few of the panel on the cowl I am not sure how I will deal with that. I used the HGH seat belts which look nice but took a week for me to get together. You have to use Barracuda( roy sutherland's placard they are fantastic) I also used Rutmans tire as the tamiya ones are rubber and have a nasty seam.

p51l.jpg

p51r.jpg

mustang0.jpg

mustang4.jpg

mustang3.jpg

mustang6.jpg

wells.jpg

mustang7.jpg

musatng2.jpg

Looking good! FYI, that small hinged panel just forward of the windscreen was found only only late D-20-NA's and later. The vast majority of wartime Mustangs required the entire panel to be removed to gain access to the hydraulics and stuff underneath it.

Have fun!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

almost done. I should not have added the antenna it broke off I may just see if

Tamiya will send a new one or just glue the snaped off one back. Left to do the pitot tube and landing light and the rear view mirror plus the antenna are all that is left for building. I did not like the way the front canopy sits may have to pry off and redo. I want to take some photos of the engine compartment. The top cover is warped( I think this is very common and leaves a gap on the ac port side right where the front decal will go this is unacceptable so I will take some pictures then seal it up and put the sweet arlene decals on and it is done.

mustang3-1.jpg

mustang2.jpg

mustang.jpg

almost done. I should not have added the antenna it broke off I may just see if

Tamiya will send a new one or just glue the snaped off one back. Left to do the pitot tube and landing light and the rear view mirror plus the antenna are all that is left for building. I did not like the way the front canopy sits may have to pry off and redo. I want to take some photos of the engine compartment. The top cover is warped( I think this is very common and leaves a gap on the ac port side right where the front decal will go this is unacceptable so I will take some pictures then seal it up and put the sweet arlene decals on and it is done.

Mast antenna should not be there anyway. This was for the radio beacon navigation system for beacon transmitters located in mainland USA... useless in European theatre and vast majority of masts/antenna wires were removed for in theatre birds. Check your references just in case.

Edited by Modelmkr

Actually the mast should be there but not the wire antenna.

It shouldn't be too difficult to make a new mast.

Ahh, yes you're right, of course... mixing up my radio systems again; sorry 'bout that dashotgun.

Thank you for the kind words. I checked pictures of the squadron and they did have the antenna Tamiya is sending another so I will drill out the residual and replace it. I was able to pry the windscreen off it is not glued yet still does not sit perfectly. My only complaint with the model is that with the choices of engine compartment open and wheels up or down some of the panels do not fit as perfectly as the ones that do not move, it may be also my skills in fitting them. Here are some more pictures before I glue down the engine compartment panels I will build another with them off and probably a third these are nice models and I love mustangs.

mustang4-1.jpg

mustang9.jpg

mustang8-1.jpg

mustang7-1.jpg

mustang6-1.jpg

mustang5.jpg