New tool Tamiya Zero (1/72 scale)

Resin and PE are fairly common - ubiquitous even, in larger stores. Decals I will concede, however that seems to be as much a factor of their being shelf-sitters as anything else. Unlike elsewhere where the notion of building a kit in the markings included in the box seems like heresy, most modelers in Japan seem perfectly happy to use what they have been given.

Except us gaijin! :coolio:

Lance, off topic but did anything ever come of the 1/72 Finemolds 190A rumor?

Edited by The Mikester

Resin and PE are fairly common - ubiquitous even, in larger stores. Decals I will concede, however that seems to be as much a factor of their being shelf-sitters as anything else. Unlike elsewhere where the notion of building a kit in the markings included in the box seems like heresy, most modelers in Japan seem perfectly happy to use what they have been given.

Likely to be true... I'm more familiar with smaller hobby stores in mid size cities because I spend most of my time there; the largest city I regularly visit and live in is Kyoto. You're certainly correct about PE... I didn't mean to include that in there at all.

However I don't know if resin upgrades is as common as it is in the west. (I exclude resin "kits," such as those sold at Wonder festival which are more common than in the west, I'd argue). The sheer amount of Aires, Eduard, Pavla, Dmolds, verlinden ect available in the West I just don't see in Japan... and I doubt they are getting it online like we do. Other indications include the lack of online builds that use them. Instead I see ALOT of scratchbuilding and improvisation. I suspect this might have to do with the relatively high cost of these addons when I do see them (and their relative age).

Its an interesting comparison, that is for sure.

Edited by -Neu-

A6M2a is known as the Type 11. A6M2b is the Type 21. Folding wings are the big differences, there are a few other less visible ones as well (apparently... I'm not an expert)

Ahh, I see. So Type 11 is 2a & Type 21 is 2b. Much thanks :)

This gentleman is Shunsaku. Shunsaku Tamiya.

Oh, him!

MrTamiya.jpg

I'm so used to him being referred to as Mr.Tamiya, I completely forgot he has a first name :rolleyes:

Wonder if he's interested in scaling down his wonderful G4M Betty & the Gekkos......

The FM Zeros, compared to Hasegawa, are on another level. The cockpit alone rivals most aftermarket sets and it has scores of options (dropped flaps, open canopy, cowling flaps and folded wings).

Ah, okay, that explains it. I generally don't mess much with interiors, flaps, open canopies, cowl flaps or folding wings. Didn't realize the FM kit had all that. But will Tamiya do the same with theirs?

Sorry I can't resist posting these because I had so much fun building them... its the Iwakuni combo

Those look great Neu! What manufacturers green did you use on the uppersurface?

Wonder if he's interested in scaling down his wonderful G4M Betty & the Gekkos......

Oh hubba hubba would that be nice!!!!!! :woot.gif:

Hasegawas older Betty definitely needs replacing and having both the old Revell Gekko and a Fujimi one also... I wasn't overly impressed with Fujimi's attempt.

Still need the P-51B as well! :dontknow:

Ah, okay, that explains it. I generally don't mess much with interiors, flaps, open canopies, cowl flaps or folding wings. Didn't realize the FM kit had all that. But will Tamiya do the same with theirs?

If those test shots (and the sprue layout) is to be believed, then its flaps and wings will be molded in place, but the cowl flaps and canopy will be movable and the cockpit will be well detailed. That kinda follows how the P-51 is in 72.

Those look great Neu! What manufacturers green did you use on the uppersurface?

I think its Mitsubishi, which is what the interior is too (I used Gunze for it).

• 2 months later...

Tamiya's new Zero has been out for almost a week now.

I picked one up last Saturday in Yokohama. I'm more than a little impressed. Tamiya's approach to the subject is very similar to FineMold's. Both kits are of the same model.

It is almost as detailed as FineMolds Zeroes. The surface detail is much better. Cockpit detail I would rate as as good or slightly better. There is no option for dropped flaps and the exhaust pipes are not as extensive or as delicately molded as FineMolds. The fuselage appears to be slightly longer, but this may not show up due to how the cowlings are attached. The cowl appears shaped better than FineMolds A6M5. Gear bays are arranged very similarly to how FineMolds did their's. Decals look really good. They're sharp, register is good, and subjects selected are interesting.

Both of these kits are superb. Both are better kits than any A6M5 kits done by any other manufacturer. So much so, I wouldn't recommend buying any other kit. Both of these kits are very good representation of a mid-war or slightly later Zero. FineMold's kit is slightly better detailed. Tamiya's has slightly better shape and much better surface detail. It's price is also half that of FineMolds' and distribution is better.

Tamiya's new kit is very much better than any other 72nd Zero kit out there with the exception of FineMolds'. Tamiya's price is very much better than FineMolds'. I think it is an easy thing to say that this new kit is very best 72nd scale kit ever.

Thank you, Tamiya for releasing this kit. Thank you for not forgetting 72nd.

I got to spend a couple of minutes with a test shot a few weeks ago and I was pretty impressed. As Johnsan said the cockpit detail was really nice for the scale! The only thing I saw that I did not like was the representation of the fabric detail on the control surfaces. It is a bit too pronounced. Wouldn't you agree, Johnsan? I mean it isn't a deal breaker but not exactly in line with the finesse of the rest of the moldings. I cannot address accuracy but once again, I sure liked what I saw and will purchase one when they hit the US market.

Edited by Shawn C.

Actually I liked the control surfaces. They look a bit more restrained than those of FineMolds kits. If these are too heavy, it will take only a few seconds with a sanding stick to bring them down.

What really impresses me is the way Tamiya treated the reinforcement panels under the exhaust pipes, the delicate riveting on inspection panels, and the incredible little machine gun breech blocks visible in the cockpit. Then there is also the finely raised reinforcement panels at the rudder and on the fuselage aft of the wing fillets. The fillets for the tail surfaces are also very delicatedly raised to indicate how the plane was actually constructed.

Realy the only thing I disliked about the kit is the decal seat belts. That's really a quibble. This is really an incredibly good kit. I think we're probably agreed on that, Shawn.

Edited by johnsan
  • 2 weeks later...

I got mine today. Fresh from Japan :D

No time to do a full inspection & review as I have other projects to handle right now. Here are some quick pictures of what's in the box. In short, whatever johnsan said is true. It's on par with the FM Zeros. Not as detailed & doesn't have flaps that can be lowered but the surface detail is better. In fact, the subtly raised inspection panels on the wings are astounding for 1/72 scale (see the red arrows). The surface of the plastic has a matt finish which I feel is better to 'grab' your paintjob. Most other kits have a shiny, glossy surface.

What really impresses me is the way Tamiya treated the reinforcement panels under the exhaust pipes, the delicate riveting on inspection panels, and the incredible little machine gun breech blocks visible in the cockpit. Then there is also the finely raised reinforcement panels at the rudder and on the fuselage aft of the wing fillets. The fillets for the tail surfaces are also very delicatedly raised to indicate how the plane was actually constructed.

Da pics:

Box.jpg

BoxSide.jpg

Opening the box, I saw 2 manuals. I did a double take when I saw the drawing of the A6M2. Don't tell me this kit allows me to build a A6M2 as well??!!

manuals.jpg

Alas, no. Upon closer inspection, the 2nd 'manual' was some sort of historical pamphlet about the various Zero versions..

manual2.jpg

2 x full sprues. The cowling is bagged seperately in a smaller bag (bottom left). Next to the decal sheet are 2 rubber tubes ( I assume to make the propellers movable)

All.jpg

Sprue2.jpg

Canopy options ( closed or open). Crystal clear and subtle, delicate raised framing (very nice)

Canopy.jpg

Decals for 3 options, both Nakajima & Mitsubishi built machines ( they have slightly different camo schemes based on either of these 2 manufacturers). All are IJN Green over grey/grey-green birds. 1) 652nd Air Group based off the carrier Junyo 2) Rabual Air Group 3)653rd Air Group, Oita

DecalSheet.jpg

I was disappointed that they didn’t include decals for one of the most famous A6M5s ever photographed, that of ace CPO Takeo Tanimizu.

Tanimizusan.jpg

The subtle raised detail & rivets on the wing access panels

Wing.jpg

Interior.jpg

Gear bay details ( sorry for bad photo. Camera almost out of juice)

Gearbay.jpg

Very nice & fine recessed panel lines..

Fuselage.jpg

Exhaust pipes:

Exhaustpipes.jpg

Cowl Flaps:

Cowling.jpg

Cockpit interiors

CockpitIP.jpg

This is definitely a must-have for 1/72 Zero enthusiasts. I can't wait for the M2s & M3s. And dare I hope, M7s, M8s and M2-K trainers :woot.gif:

I was disappointed that they didn’t include decals for one of the most famous A6M5s ever photographed, that of ace CPO Takeo Tanimizu

They could NOT since that particular a/c was A6M5c i.e. version with different wing armament (additional MGs, bomb attachment points) basically requiring new wing molding. There are however much more attractive markings of A6M5s from 302 Kokutai which continue to be ignored. There is a hope though, Rising Decals in Czech Republic are working on more "Zero" sheets.

I too hope Tamiya will follow up with A6M3 mod.22 and A6M2 mod.21 and sooner or later, preferably sooner, with J1N1 Gekkos AND G4M1!

Mario

in NYC

• 5 months later...