1/24 Airfix P-51D conversion to Mustang Mk IV

This is my contribution to this GB. It is an Airfix 1/24 P-51D that I'm going to do as P-51K or Mk. IV in the colours of a 3Sqn RAAF bird based in Fano, Italy in 1945. Depending on what the issues are with joins and things later will depend on whether I camouflage her or leave her in NMF. Here's what I'm playing with and what's done so far;

DSC05564.jpg

DSC05568.jpg

DSC05565.jpg

DSC05566.jpg

Regards

Andrew :cop:

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Thanks Deacon,

Here's the next installment;

The engine all painted up

DSC05569.jpg

DSC05570.jpg

The front IP

DSC05571.jpg

DSC05576.jpg

Side controls

DSC05572.jpg

DSC05573.jpg

DSC05574.jpg

The cockpit floor not quite done yet

DSC05575.jpg

The radio, batteries and tank still in progress

DSC05577.jpg

Should have the fuselage together in the next day or so

Regards

Nice

your making want to break out my 1/24Trump!! If only there where some more decals in that scale ...

Ill be watching to one closely so if you feel some liquid on your shoulder dont worry that me drooling over your work !!

Cheers fellas,

The fuselage is together and I have started on the wings only to have the pins that hold the U/C in position to retract have snapped off as have a couple of other pins so things will just be glued into place. Here's how the fuselage looks;

DSC05578-1.jpg

DSC05579-1.jpg

DSC05580.jpg

DSC05581.jpg

DSC05582.jpg

Regards

This SOB is starting to fight me. I really enjoyed building the fuselage but now that I'm putting the wings to the fuselage bits are breaking off or not going where they should and it's really starting to annoy me. Anyhoo, here's the progress pics (The main wings are dry fitted);

DSC05627.jpg

DSC05628.jpg

DSC05629.jpg

This gap at the front is going to cause some issues I can foresee

DSC05630.jpg

The decals for it arrived today so there's incentive to get it done!

Regards

Edited by Andrew Doppel

I would definitely get the fuselage shored up first and sanded and complete. Then when you move to actually mounting the wings just do one little spot at a time and keep clamping or taping or forcing or whatever you need to do. Will take a few days but should cut down on the gap filling issues later.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't you hate when you've puttied and sanded and puttied and sanded then undercoated or sprayed straight onto the topic to find you've either missed a bit or need to go back and do more puttying and sanding? This has been through the process three times and I've still got more puttying and sanding to do. God, I hate this build. I've seen the Tamiya 1/32 kit and it is superb in comparison to this nightmare. But, I'll get it done!

Regards

DSC05653.jpg

DSC05654.jpg

DSC05655.jpg

DSC05656.jpg

Cheers Neo,

I'm not going to let it defeat me. I'm not going to let it defeat me.......Did you have a look at those 1/24 RAAF decals via Aussie/Nova Decals? Alternatively you can have the decals left over from this build as I won't be using the US markings......and maybe the RAF markings.

Regards and Happy New Year

Edited by Andrew Doppel

For those following here's another update. The O/D anti-glare panel is done and the areas that needed a touch up have been fixed which has now allowed me to start decalling before doing all the final touches. I hope you like her;

DSC05657.jpg

DSC05658.jpg

Regards

Andrew

God, I hate this build.

Nothing says "what the hell was I thinking" like a 1/24th Airfix kit.

I tried to build the 1/24 Fw-190...wing to fuselage gap a problem you ask, only about 1/8" I says. Fix it you ask, fixed it straight into the garbage I says.

You sir, are either very very very very brave or completely and absulutely bonkers.

Edited by Grenadier37