Scenic L.A Coastal road Collapses...

Guys..

I just saw this on the News And this is terrible for those of you in L.A. or the area where this took place ..SAN PEDRO...

I hope you guys living nearby are all safe and okay..

There is a small news video towards the end of the article.

Take care

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2011/11/22/scenic-coastal-la-road-disappears-into-the-pacific-ocean-after-storm/

:woot.gif:

As Gregg and all the other ARC'ers who live or lived in SoCal knows landslides are nothing new, tragic yes in some cases, but a fact of living here that is all too common. Hillside homes are expensive and you have some privacy away from the teeming masses down below, but it comes at a high price to purchase and to have that exclusivity. Wildfires which destroy the vegetation that holds the soil in place and the rainstorms that erode that soil and anything on it goes down the hill in a mudslide. Any housing development near hills here are jeopardized. Not more that 3 miles from where I live; last year an entire neighborhood was inundated during and after a heavy rainfall last year. Some may wonder why California has such good disaster aid teams; simple we're very practiced at dealing with disasters. Like a rose; California is very beautiful, but lest one forgets; like that rose it has it's thorns.

Land slides and cliff erosion in this area has been going on forever. about 45 years ago the Portuguese Bend area of Palos Verdes started sliding. I grew up in this area and it was pretty sad for the local residents. The main road through this area is Palos Verdes Drive West, it is like a roller coaster. water pipes are above ground with hinged joints to accommodate the movement. This is a beautiful area but it is a slide area. I would say that the only inconvenience will be that about a dozen residents will have to jog one street up and 2 blocks over to avoid the slide.

BTW From September 1940 through may of 1942, my father-law, Master SGT. John Zeisler was the senior NCO of one of the 16" coastal guns about a 1/2 a mile from that slide. You can take tours of the bunkers and gun pits here is the website:

http://www.ftmac.org/

Land slides and cliff erosion in this area has been going on forever. about 45 years ago the Portuguese Bend area of Palos Verdes started sliding. I grew up in this area and it was pretty sad for the local residents. The main road through this area is Palos Verdes Drive West, it is like a roller coaster. water pipes are above ground with hinged joints to accommodate the movement. This is a beautiful area but it is a slide area. I would say that the only inconvenience will be that about a dozen residents will have to jog one street up and 2 blocks over to avoid the slide.

BTW From September 1940 through may of 1942, my father-law, Master SGT. John Zeisler was the senior NCO of one of the 16" coastal guns about a 1/2 a mile from that slide. You can take tours of the bunkers and gun pits here is the website:

http://www.ftmac.org/

witous

thanks for the linky..Interesting....

I was just wondering if the Tectonic plates that runs beneath the the Californian earth

also shift and assist in causing such devastaton when there is such a strong storm as this...

Edited by HOLMES

Yep, that's Callie for ya, my home town and the area in question live my first concert flute teacher's. And all the above California's post know so well, it just keeps sliding into the Pacific. That is if your from Callie...

Tonal