As far as I know, Cricut is a closed and very limited system that only works with their own cartridges and pre-designed shapes. A general-purpose vinyl cutter would be a better choice for creating custom masks and insignia. I am planning to buy the new Silhouette Cameo to create custom masks as well as a new line of masks for Caracal Models.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Would like to know if these cutters are worth it for the modeler to purchase and make their own mask and markings?

How are these cutter for let's say 1/72 British squadron codes? What about 1/72 WWII serial numbers?

TIA

Moe

The Silhouette Cameo (and pretty much any decent vinyl cutter in the market) will easily cut the squadron codes and serial numbers, but I am not sure about the usability of masks for 1/72 WWII serial numbers. As to the question of whether they are worth it: only you can answer that question. These cutters sell for $300 (and you will need to invest the time to learn vector-based graphic design if you are not familiar with it). I think the cost is justified since I will use it commercially, but it may not be worth keeping a vinyl cutter around for one insignia mask or two a month.

I asked a friend with a Cricut to help me with some masks for a project and the problem we came across was limitations on how small of character it could make. Something to think about if you decide to buy any of those cutting machines.